Rubio Rubin at Dorados de Sinaloa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, Jul 1, 2013.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    He does appear. He was pretty good. A great run up the left and pass into the striker who fluffed his shot so badly that he fell down. At the end there is an intelligent chip over the defense that gets blasted wide. Two assists he should have had (maybe 1.5?).

freisland and Winoman repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started in 3-3 match:

Winoman repped this.
  7. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ascenso MX clubs have voted to cancel the remainder of the 2020 Clausura.

Rubin had 2 goals in 565 minutes (8 games, 7 starts) in league play before the cancellation. He also picked up a yellow card. Dorados was second to bottom in 11th at the stoppage of play.

He added 173 minutes in 2 starts during the knockout stages of the Copa MX where Dorados was eliminated in the quarterfinals picking up a yellow card in the competition.

Finally, it appears that Mexico is going to significantly overhaul the second division. It will reportedly become a developmental league with limits on over 23 players and foreigners. There will also reportedly no be promotion and relegation with Liga MX until 2026.

8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

“We’ll see where that goes. For me, I still have some time on my contract. Grupo Caliente now owns Queretaro as well Tijuana so obviously if I go back to one of those teams I’d be able to be in the first division and try and breakthrough. We’ll see. Everything is up in the air.”

h/t @ChuckMe92 in the youth national team forum

freisland, BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tijuana gave him chances on the right, on the left, and in the hole, but he never looked like a Primera Division player. If he's going back he's going to be riding pine.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The Irish Rover repped this.
  11. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy shit! I can't believe he's still only 24. I looked him up on Wikipedia expecting to see "30 years old". He's fallen way off my radar. He also got all of his 7 caps in 2014.

taylor, The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    His injury(s?) really did him. Seems similar to Wood in that respect to me. RR's was more a one or two time deal, whereas Wood seems a bit more chronic, but both seem to have lost their mojo with the injuries.

taylor repped this.
  13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that winding up in USL after his hot start as a professional indicates that, clearly, he's lost his mojo. Still young enough to climb back, though, and playing for Landon Donovan can't hurt!

taylor and freisland repped this.
  14. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean no disrespect to RR but he just wasn't that good. Go back and watch his flash in the pan production with Utrecht. It was all hustle and grit type plays, right place right time, etc. None of his goals or assists were Eredivisie level technical-tactical execution or anything.

In the U20 World Cup relative to the rest of our guys, he was just OK despite the most professional experience by far. Did nothing to indicate that he was a future 1st division level player.

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Personally I thought he was really good with the U-20s

LouisZ and freisland repped this.
  16. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying he performed poorly by any means but the guys who to me looked like they clearly had a future with the senior team based on talent were Miazga, CCV, Hyndman and Steffen.

I don't really remember Rubin looking like a vastly superior prospect to Maki Tall, which was a surprise given his level of experience.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I have to disagree - I watched most of the Utrecht outings, and was in touch with a couple of pretty smart fans. The issue with RR, pre foot injury, was that he was tweener. He played 4 or 5 different positions - often playing RW/LW in a 3, sometimes ACM, 9 1/2 and CF - AM is where the guys whose instincts I trust best felt he was the best fit (and where I recall RR's production being best) and he had a fair bit of skill, as you must have to play effective AM, to go with his size and grit. I think one of his problems is he got pushed to CF (or pushed to play CF) but wasn't ever a strong or consistent enough finisher to ever shine at CF. He did have a good stretch for the Jong Utrecht at CF and that may have pushed them to try him there too often.

I dunno that he was every destined for Top 5 greatness, and while he didn't blow too many folks away at Utrecht he certainly didn't look out of place in the Ered for a younger player either. His foot (or something around that time) really did do something to him, either physically, mentally or both. Anyway, that is water under the dyke as he's now in San Diego. Found this extended highlight of his games, mostly for USMNT, in 2014, when he was going to Utrecht.

18. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree with him being a tweener.

Another issue is that I think he was pretty physically mature at 18.

I don't think there was a whole lot more physical development for him after 18-19.

freisland repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, he was for sure an early maturer. But he was also pretty skilled. Not Pulisic, Dest feet, for sure, but he had a very decent touch and could go 1v1. He really did have a surprising amount of trouble finishing, for all his ability, which was always very perplexing/frustrating when he was in N'lands. I think he scored more from AM than CF even. He was better as a late runner. But he kind of "felt" like a CF...

Anyway, I wish him well. Did not predict this career path for him.

UniversalAdvice and chrome_vapors repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    down to the Mex second division? I don't think anybody did.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit on how things ended for him him Mexico:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/how-landon-donovan-helped-rsl-s-rubio-rubin-get-his-groove-back

Last summer Rubin found himself stuck in limbo as COVID-19 ravaged the planet and indefinitely shut down soccer leagues across the world, including the Liga de Expansion MX, the revamped Mexican second division where he was on loan to Dorados from Club Tijuana. He had to wait weeks just to catch a flight home from Culiacan to his native Oregon, and a coronavirus outbreak had infected 17 members of Dorados’ squad, further diminishing his appetite for a return.

With the pandemic piling further economic misery on the league’s already-tenuous members, the authorities canceled the remainder of the Clausura (spring) season and suspended promotion/relegation to Liga MX for the next five years, fashioning the second division into a youth league of sorts – not too appealing to a player who was 24 at the time.

UniversalAdvice and m vann repped this.
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1873 m vann, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    It’s been so good to see Rubin back to his capable self starting with his USL stint after a few years of misery. He looks motivated and he looks healthy. He’s been one on the better MLS signings thus far. It definitely flew under the radar. I think I read too where Rubin has committed his international future to Guatemala.

freisland repped this.
  24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Rubbed out one too many?

25. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    It does seem like a switch to Guatemala is imminent: