RSL vs. Toronto FC; Sat. 9/15; 1:30 p.m. [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Sep 12, 2007.

1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    parity, single entity league, what other words can be used to describe this? its no wonder there isnt a team averaging 2 ppg, the league as it is structured right now ensures parity. thats the whole point, (mostly) everyone has a chance.

2. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    I can't predict the result...but I do predict an RSL player (or two) will not be present due to a forgotten passport. That scenerio has "RSL" written all over it, no?
    [​IMG]

3. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL forgot some players passports??? Wow... just wow...

4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you predict this based on what? some information you got? would like to share this information or are you just pulling this straight out of your ass?

i SERIOUSLY doubt that a team/player forgets something like a passport. uniforms are one thing, but a passport is a whole other ball of wax.

5. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Let me clarify--lest anyone else melt-down... it's only a tongue & cheek "prediction" based on RSL's penchant for administrative snafu's exactly like this. Nothing more, nothing less.

PS: 1-1 draw. Esky red-carded. (again... merely a "prediction". no inside info :cool:).

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    That's how I read it... (see bold)

As for actual predictions for the game, I'm not sure, RSL has become a complete enigma for me. The turf factor at TFC (RES isn't even in the same category with this stuff), the "must win" factor for both teams (trying to get some positives out of two bad seasons), Esky with something to prove, Cunningham with something to prove, our offense looking better lately, their offense struggling, their home fans, etc.

I guess I'll predict this: RSL 3-1

If RSL can win a game like this then I start to see some hope for next season. This is an AWAY game they should win - they've got better talent, the opponent is struggling, they've been playing better recently against better competition, etc.

If RSL can't win a game like this then I think it just is more evidence that RSL is not turning any corners... TFC is our best chance for a road win for the remaining games and they are particularly weak/struggling right now. If we can't beat them in this state, then it's not a good sign.

If we were sitting higher in the table, it's "okay" on some levels to give away some road points every now and then because you're biding your time for the playoffs... but for a team like RSL, with so much to prove to themselves about whether or not they can really compete, this is a very important result they need to get.

Beating LA was almost a bigger deal in some respects than had we beat Houston/DC in the last couple games. LA was a team "on par" with us in the league, while Houston/DC away games are ones we really shouldn't probably win. Being able to face some bad luck vs LA (in giving up an early goal) and then remaining composed and determined enough to take the chances we got is a big step. Beating TFC tomorrow is a game we should get points out of... they can barely field a full team.

I also think TFC will score simply because the scoreless record can't go on forever (well it CAN, but it's not probable)...

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    My prediction:

Lots of yellow cards and bitching about bad referees.
    Alecko again is in yellow card trouble after already being suspended once this season. The question remains... Can Alecko play a full 90 minutes and not get a yellow card?

9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26

The article says RSL hasn't won on the road yet, but didn't we beat the Galaxy 2-1 after having gone down a goal early on? Oh, yeah. RSL did.

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sometimes its hard to get a read on what your mean in your posts, they are all over the place in terms of sarcasm, actually meaning what you say, and tongue in cheek.

EDIT: meant to quote RSLFM's post above, too lazy to fix it.

my prediction: some kind of soccer game in canada will be played between two teams, one with a bad offense, one with a bad defense. someone will win, someone will lose, someone will continue to suck ass, while one will continue to suck, but not so much ass. one group of fans will feel a sense of relief, one group will sink further into a black abyss of supporting a terrible team in a terrible year and hope it ends sooner rather than later. both will hold out hope that a better season will be upon them in 2008.

i wish they would post new photos on rslstadium.com, that is pretty much the only thing that gets me through the week. sooo bored at work right now, tgif.

11. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking into my Magic 8 Ball, I see RSL winning the game 1-0 due to an own goal by Toronto caused by a freak September snow storm which forces the cancellation of the game after one half.

12. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The game would only be postponed as the Toronto fans would all simultaneously throw their seat cushions onto the field to form a virtual tarp, thus allowing the field to remain in playable condition once the storm abated.

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This must be one of those alternative insights into RSL to which we must attend... there is no glass so full that RSLFM can't see the empty space and declare that is where the action is.

Which cinches: Plonk.

14. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    "Alternative insight"(?) My friend, take a look at the record before demanding we all fall in line with your "glass half full" happytalk.

No offense, but some long-term RSL supporters glaze over at the latest iterations of "turning the corner". We're only interested in results now.

So save it.
    `
    PS: your words ["Which cinches: Plonk."] defeated my extensive American-English colloquialisms & pop-culutre reference library. Care to translate?

15. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    we need to start and see passing from alecko . go back and look at the game against dc. He plows through 3 players and then loses it instead of looking up and passing to obviously open players. If he would pass quicker the player will pass back when he starts to move....

16. Dunlap Branch FC

Dunlap Branch FC New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Utah
    BalanceUT has plonked you which an old jargon term for adding a particular poster to the ignore list (killfile). Sorry, I do not think he will will translate for you. I think plonk is an acronym 'Put Lamer ON Killfile'. I hope someone else can confirm this.

17. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    BuffloSoldier is saying a KC press release has Yura Movsisyan going to RSL for a partial Adu allocation and 2 2009 supplemental picks (1st, 3rd).

Yura's just a kid still, but talented. He has a tendency to be a little wild, but if he keeps developing, could be useful for you.

18. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Thanks/rep :D.

Aside: Odd why someone with the term "EmbraTSu" in their own signature line would take such umbridge at another's RSL gallows humor. Whatever...enjoy the sand, Balance.

19. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd never heard of that term before today. But then I've never used Usenet. By the time I first discovered the internet ('96) chat rooms and more sophisticated message boards had already grown enough that I never found a newsgroup I really needed.

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find amazing about RSLFM is the emission of relentless negativity, often without any basis in fact. The passport comment was an exemplar, hence the reason I used it as the trigger for plonking.

It is one thing to engage in critical analysis of the team's play and behavior of the front office. That is fine and dandy, welcome for sure! When it crosses over into rank and bizzare speculation on behavior never evidenced nor even rumored, it has become just muckraking negativity that can yield nothing constructive in our discussions or for the team.

Funny, I think it would have been fun to meet RSLFM. The opportunity to do so was presented at this past Wednesday's DCU match, which I did pre-announce I intended to attend. I've learned over my internet years that in person people are often much more interesting and nice than their worst internet behavior. Pity that opportunity failed to materialize.

21. REal_drunk

REal_drunk New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    UT
    With how dreadful TFC's offence has been, the Cunningham for Esky trade is looking like a good decision by Kries, not a great decision, but good. Maybe Cunningham is pulling an Eddie Johnson and he'll bounce back for 15 goals next season.

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    That's hard to be so critical. Do you remember what it is like when you plow through three players? He probably barely had time to look up to see what else was going on. Do you remember his amazing pass to Espindola against KC? (At least I think that was KC) He does have more assists than goals with RSL (2-1). :)

23. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Balance, let it go already. Nobody is interested in your personal attacks.

Back to the match...

Toronto Globe & Mail/Larry Millson: Cunningham guarantees goalless drought will end
    Jeff Cunningham says that Toronto FC's scoring drought, which stands at a Major League Soccer record of 732 minutes, will end today against his former team, Real Salt Lake.

He even threw in the G-word, which would be guarantee. "I'm going to guarantee we're going to score this weekend," Cunningham said. "It'll happen."

Own goals, he said, would count. "Hey, any goal we'll take right now," he said.

24. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he heard a rumor that Stewart is starting.

25. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    Boys, welcome to BMO. Cool and cloudy so far but it could be snowing with a side of freezing rain and it still would be a great day to play some football.

Looking forward to seeing your new guys play. You are starting to turn your season around and currently being in a tough place we all know how that can feel.

Anyhow, lets hope for lots of action today. Wishing both teams good luck and no injuries, please no injuries!!!! See you at BMO and look for our new bird "Bitchy". Should be no gulls now that she is on station.:D