RSL vs. The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, 5/26/12 7:00 MDT P/D/P

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, May 21, 2012.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happier person on that goal: Nat Borchers, or Kyle Reynish?

TheBiff, Taragui and MOS5 repped this.
  2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    skunkhawk. lol.

3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really ref? 2 MORE minutes of stoppage time, what an asshole.

hell of a game and a very important 3 points.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't blame the ref. That's partly the result of a goal being scored in stoppage time, and mostly the result of Fabi not leaving the field. The additional time was fair.

And if you watch the play that led to Borchers' goal, you might see a couple of places where it would have been easier to whistle for a foul than to let things stand.

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, there was plenty of contact in the box, a foul wouldnt have been surprising, but he was letting things play in the box all night so i wasnt surprised when he let them play out. it did look like the FCD player that went to the ground initiated the contact that sent him to the ground though (like he was trying to jump around/through grabavoy(?))

6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough call. I think we distinguish their positive affect by Borchers being running on clouds joyful and Reynish feeling 50 pounds lighter in relief.

7. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Agreed. I'm not complaining about the refs on this one, I think it was a goal and the refs got it right, but why has it taken this long for fifa to accept something like this? Ever since the last world cup I've paid attention to these types of goals and they happen a lot more than I would have thought. You get that many bodies in the box to block an view the refs might have, and the assistant can't always be right on the line as he tries to catch up with play.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of FIFA's arguments on this is an apt one: unless you only apply it in tournaments like the World Cup, you install something that in no way could be implemented in most countries - or even lower division leagues in many countries like ours. The cost would be prohibitive.

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, having different levels of officiating is normal in many sports. In major league baseball, the normal complement of officials for a regular season game is 4. For playoff games it goes up to 6. At lower levels of competition, fewer are used. In a sense, adding goal line technology for the highest level of the game and only in certain leagues should be no problem. After all, how many leagues use spray foam to indicate the 10 yards for a free kick? It doesn't change the laws of the game, only the fidelity with which they are upheld. Finally, as the technology is used the price for it will come down leading to it being used in leagues with less money. And, with FIFA rolling in money, it could certainly help out the many very poor leagues in the world.

Bottom line: this is a solvable problem with the technology and money available, if only the governing stonewalling body will allow it.

Unak78 repped this.
  10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, i'm not buying the "lower leagues cant afford to use it/dont have the tech." that's a poor cop-out, leagues throughout the world already are doing things differently with rules, refs (england uses end line refs in the EPL) etc etc. when something like this can be so beneficial to the game, remove a bit of controversy, then you have to do it.

11. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positives: Tanaka's assist, Steele's passing, Grabavoy (my man of the match) all damn night, Saborio being a man, RSL becoming more physical to match Dallas's thuggery in the 2nd half. Alvarez somehow avoiding a second yellow (and showing some decent passing).

Negatives: Tanaka's tackling. Several bad passes from the center backs, Reynish getting shaky and letting balls bounce in the six. RSL getting caught too far forward multiple times on giveaways and getting burned on the counter.

Dallas came to fight, and no rules were off limits, esp for the would-be circus clowns Perez and Hernandez - but what do we expect from those two? Their speed was excellent, George John was excellent and Hartman made some good saves. But RSL showed good possession - esp as the game wore on - and in the end their aggression and passing paid off. 56% passing. 8 shots to 5 on goal, 16 to 12 overall. 5 to 2 on corners. A legit result.

12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tale of two halfs, first half was tough, second was about as exciting as a match can get. Sabo had a great second half, hats off to him.
    15 called it earlier in the week when he said he was more concerned with Rimando being out than with Beckerman being out. Terrible mistake by Rehnish on the second goal, he needs to Be buying drinks and carrying Borchers shit for the rest of the season for getting bailed out.
    L.A.lost again:)

BalanceUT, 15 to 32 and MOS5 repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that FIFA doesn't prevent MLS from using goal line technology, they just don't mandate it. Spray foam isn't mandated; it's chosen by certain leagues. That isn't an issue. What is an issue is mandating something beyond the very basics - that which makes the game accessible equally all over the world, in virtually any climate and any economic situation.

I have a unit in one of my classes about the impact - positive and negative - of technology in sport. It's a major consideration whenever you mandate something be adopted.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well except for carding Espy after he was shoved and swore at by Hernandez and Jacobsen. I get it, your pissed and you want another chance at goal. But shoving and yelling in front of the Ref and then he cards Espy, just lame.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Espy got a card for taking over 30 seconds to recognize his number on the board (which he saw right away) and then walking away. There was plenty of jawing, but he earned his yellow for time wasting

Ismitje repped this.
  16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After tonight I've really come to dislike Perez. You're not in Panama anymore, play the game and stop flopping at every instance.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few notes from the game:
    • The first half of this match was painful to watch. It's windy guys, so lets knock the ball 15 yards in the air constantly to make it crazier... just terrible. Both sides were guilty of stupid plays given the wind
    • Yordany is a hell of a player. But, as said before, he is almost guranateed a card a night. To his credit, he did seem to really clean up his tackles in the first half. I thought for sure, given how he played in the first half, we were going to see him walking a very thin line. Instead, he calmed down
    • Grabavoy should take corners if Javi isn't on the pitch. Seriously, the dude's service was perfect all night.
    • Unlike others, I thought Ned overall played like shit. In the first half I kept getting pissed that we had no release valve from the midfield. Espy was at half and Sabo was tracking deep to try and win the ball in the air, but we lacked a midfielder to get the ball to. It should have been Gil. For whatever reason, Grabs was being a lazy ass and not covering on his side making Gil track back.
    • Tanaka has a hell of a cross - he should try and use it more often/earlier.
    • Tanaka really needs to work on his timing on tackles. Don't dive in, dude. Wait for help and force the player into a tight spot. Don't dive in with no support and at the corner of the 18...
    • Sabo might have been off on his first goal, but looking at it on replay his feet are on while his head is off... so what do you call?
    • Hedges had probably the most bipolar minute in his playing career at the 76th or 77th... wow.
    • This team is going to give me a ********ing heart attack at this rate.
    • Borchers goal should be a candidate for GOTW. Clinical finish to the top corner.
    • The Bud Light girls had legs that just kept going and going and going and...
    • Perez failed the Barcelona school of diving... you don't get back up before a card is given, dude. It ruins your argument of "I got hurt/he fouled me".
    • Brian Kamler is a gigantic homer. Listening to the post game show he made some rather funny remarcks that were "come on, dude" in style. The one I particularly liked "Sabo is taking a shot there, it should count as his goal. Yeah, their guy put it in, but Sabo was hitting it far post..." Obviously he hasn't watched replays. Sabo's "shot" would probably have gone out for a throw in...
    A fun night
    While it ain't good for the health, it sure is fun to watch

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and ******** Daniel Hernandez. We're actually blessed that Kyle wasn't here as I'm 99% positive one or both of them would have been sent off. That guy is a ********ing hack

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he got a yellow for taking his time when he yelled back to Hernandez aka Freakshow and Jacobsen when they were yelling and pushing him. Considering they did it right in front of Okie and then he carded Espy, I thought was bad form.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone make sure Beltran recovers his jock strap from the RioT pitch, please.
    Jackson owned his trash on numerous occasions tonight. Lucky for Tony, Olave was behind him to clean stuff up most of the time, but Tony was really burned more often than usual tonight.

Also, we have no speed up top. Espy had a 5 yard gap on Benitez twice in this game, and neither time he was able to even get his shot off because Benitez (who is a douche, but a hell of a defender) was able to recover.

And Jonny Steele... it's like he is playing a video game out there. Top of the 18, tight match, RSL throwing numbers forward... I'll just pull a couple moves and heel flick the ball to myself. He has ice in his veins now that he has gotten more comfortable. He is growing on me, that's for sure

21. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What do forwards hope to accomplish when they intentionally hang back behind the goalkeeper? Are the hoping the keeper doesn't notice and puts the ball on the ground? Or are they just being confrontational?
    To me, if your team is trailing, it seems counterproductive as the goalie can just stand there and waste more time.

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What frustrated me about that was that Reynish was signalling to the ref to have him move along and the ref basically just waved at him like 'release it soon or I'm blowing the whistle' Ref was letting Dallas call too many fouls. Nothing like seeing a guy like Hernandez get up and start pushing our player and the ref would blow a foul on us.

23. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You call him off, if that's the way it was. As I understand it, the rule is if any part of the player that is legal to play the ball is ahead of the farthest back part any part of the next to last defender that is legal to play the ball. So, the head being past the other player creates a possible offside call. The arm being past a player should not create a possible offside call.

24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beltran was owned by Jackson in the first 20 minutes or so. I noticed that Dallas were flooding Beltran's side and he was not handling it well. But, from about the 20th minute or so he had Jackson figured out and he wasn't burned any more.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, the second FCD goal (and even the first, to an extent) were because Jackson kept giving Beltran fits and our defense had to adjust more than normal.

In like the 60th minute Jackson made a ridiculous run, megged beltran, nearly beat Borchers, and got a pretty sweet shot off. That was the story of the night. RSL having to heavily defend the left wing because of how easily Jackson was going down our wing. This is why Tanaka is defending Blaz Perez on the left side of the pk mark on the 2nd FCD goal. We were way over compensating, but it wasn't unjustified. Jackson just had our number

Beltran simply got owned last night. He got way too scared to go forward and was constantly on his heels defensively.