RSL vs. KC Wizards; Wed. 8/29; 7:00 p.m. [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Given that the KC match is a mere 3 days after the Chivas match, I figure it’s not too early to get this thread started. Most recently, the Wizards are coming off of a loss (highlight) vs. Chicago and boast a 9-8-5 (W-L-T) record with 32 points.

Meanwhile, RSL is coming off of a match with Chivas USA and currently (pre-Chivas match) boasts a 2-10-6 (W-L-T) record and has 12 points. RSL sits at the bottom of the MLS standings. This match is likely to see the MLS debut of RSL’s new Argentine playmaker, Javier Morales.

This will be the KC’s second visit to RES; the first being back on April 18th when the two sides met on a chilly and snowy evening in LHOC play. RSL shocked KC during that encounter with a 2-1 result that saw the game go into extra time. John Ellinger was still coach of RSL at the time and that first meeting between RSL and KC was his first victory of the season. Five RSL starters in that game have since been shed from RSL’s roster: Danny Torres, Chris Klein, Mehdi Ballouchy, Freddy Adu, and Jeff Cunningham. Others that started that evening have seen their playing time dramatically curtailed: Jack Stewart, Willis Forko, and Kenny Cutler.

RSL and KC played in MLS play in Kansas City on July 14th with KC coming away with a 1-0 win, off of a goal by Eddie Johnson in which he poked in a shot that had rebounded off of the post. KC out shot RSL 20-5 on the night.

Only four current RSL players have notched goals with RSL. Chris Brown and Robbie Findley are tied as goal scoring leaders with 3 goals a piece. KC has 10 different goal scorers on its roster, with Eddie Johnson leading the team with 12 goals – more than twice as many as the number two goal scorer. Davy Arnaud and Sasha Victorine are tied with 6 assists a piece.

2. USAHammerFan

USAHammerFan Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Sandy, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas City wins 2-1 on a late goal by Eddie Johnson. I don't even need to see Chivas result to go with my always 2-1 loss at home prediction.

3. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    I'm calling this match right now: 0-0.

If there is a scoring, it will involve a dubious penalty in favor of KC, or a fortunate deflection in favor of RSL.

4. soccermanRSL

soccermanRSL JELLACTICOS!!

Apr 22, 2007
    Don't forget Cunningham. I'm hoping he's still tied for the lead at the end of the season. That would be awesome.

5. soccermanRSL

soccermanRSL JELLACTICOS!!

Apr 22, 2007
    While the 0.75 PPG upper limit would technically allow for an RSL win on Wednesday I think we either see a 0-0 draw or a 3-1 win for KC.

6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Pollyanna calls for a 3-1 RSL win. With all of the positiveness that is ooooooooozing from RSL fans carrying them to glorious victory.

7. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - 3-1 KC........goals by Findley, Johnson, Marinelli, and Movsisyan.
    - Atiba gets red carded by the 15th minute (like he should have vs. Chivas).
    - Andy Williams continues his form from Sunday by passing to Jose Burciaga any time RSL has the makings of a good opportunity.
    - In the postgame press conference, Wiz coach Curt Onalfo announces "Curt only pawn in game of life."
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. fcscooby

fcscooby New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    MY HAPPY PLACE
    2-0 K.c.
    How Are We Going To Score Goals?

9. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Since we have no forwards..JK can instruct the players to just all play back and go for a 0-0 tie. At least it wont be a loss if we pull it off!

10. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly right, the only way RSL can put the ball on goal is if they get a deflection. Their shots are slightly ever on goal lately.

11. Riptide311

Riptide311 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Utah
    We need to come out swinging. The line up should look as follows...

------Rimando------
    Kipre--Pope--Mantilla--Wingert
    -----Talley------Beckerman
    -------Morales--------
    Espindola--Findlay--Eskandarian

I know it's very unlikely, but the least they could do is try and give us fans a show.

12. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Sad to say, but at this point I'd rather see Atiba up front than Eskandarian.

13. ravenrooney

ravenrooney Member

Sep 21, 2006
  14. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    3-1 seems unlikely because we generally don't score goals when we lose anymore. At the end of season 2, it was decided that such behavior brings unnecessary excitement to the proceedings.

15. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. One nice thing about the goals being few and far between is I haven't been losing my voice doing my Andres Cantor impression very often this season.

GOOOOOAAAAAALLLLL!!!

16. praxis

praxis Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Ogden Ut
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Applying the gambler's fallacy I predict a win for RSL. 1-0.

17. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That ain't just the gambler's fallacy. That's like applying the gambler's fallacy to a coin-toss with a double-headed quarter. KCW 2 - 0 RSL. I've given up on my fantasies of a 3-2 game this season.

18. sutible

sutible New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Croatia
    I think RSL have very good chance to win, they are reciving not so many goals and that is imporatant. Only problem are vertical balls in open space in front of box, but for that you need players with good tehnical knowledge wich Kansas doesn`t have. Kansas are having busy schadule so I think RSL will profit from that, it will be low scoring match and only conser is RSL drawless streak of 10 games.

Greetings from Croatia and sorry for my English.

19. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome, and the optimism about RSL will soon be vanished.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, TapcooL, sutible is about to become our good luck charm! :)

21. Riptide311

Riptide311 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Utah
    Who's going to whip out the paper bags? I'm glad the team stinks because it will make it alot easier to focus on my date knowing that the play on the field is so bad. I'm predicting a 3-0 game. Johnson will get a hat trick. I'm normally pretty optimistic, but like everyone else my hope is dwindling.

I just hope that we score, so that we dont take the record back from Toronto.

22. Welcome, your English is great our team is not.

23. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I didn't know that anyone in Europe (besides American expats) were following MLS. If you don't mind my asking, could you explain your interest in MLS? Is it easy to follow MLS from Croatia?

24. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Welcome! Where are you from in Hrvatska? I visited Split and loved it, you've got a beautiful country.

25. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I'll say it is going to be
    rimando
    kipre, pope, mantillo, kotchau
    talley
    C brown beckerman espindola
    morales
    alecko