RSL vs. D.C. United; Wed. 9/12; 5:30 p.m. [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Arelius, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    It’s the Eastern Conference leaders vs. the 5th place team in the Western Conference. DCU currently has a 13-6-4 record with 43 pts and is going into a big match tomorrow (Sunday, Sept. 9) with NE that could decide who takes over the leader position in the Eastern Conference.

RSL slumps to a 4-12-6 record after tonight and maintains 18 pts. Atiba Harris, Jean-Martial Kipré, and Chris Wingert will all be suspended after the next yellow card.

This is the second of two meetings this season between the two clubs. RSL stole a 2-1 win in the first meeting at RES on June 23rd, where Robbie Findley scored a brace.

This match will be broadcast on DK and MLSLIVE.tv.

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arelius, I'm just back from watching DC dismantle the Revs...

It's time to be very afraid. As I looked at the DC bench at the start of the match I realized that every one on it is a starter. That means whoever Tommy decides to start, he can sub in a starter in his place.

That just killed NE in the second half.

3. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! DW and I were there, too! We just got home (9:30PM)... because that is how far away we live, but we did stop for dinner south of Frederick.

DW said half way through the 2nd half when Boswell subbed-in, "DC played toe to toe with New England with Boswell and Olsen starting on the bench? Wow, DC is good!"

Yeah, we are going to have our hands totally full.

While RFK is a stinkhole of a stadium (seriously, as a facility, RES is tons better), the Screaming Eagles supporters (1000 members?) section is simply amazing and more than made up for the failings of the building. When the SE are in full swing, the uninvolved area to the west of them is bouncing up and down about 3-4 inches. Heck we were two sections behind and lined up along the box of the west goal (section 329) and we were bouncing an inch due to their antics. The pitch at RFK is horrid (yeah, it's grass, but players were slipping and falling left and right, and not in the infield temporary sodded area, either).

We expect to attend RSL's foray into RFK against DCU! (how's that for acronym-ing it up?)

4. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Afraid? This is RSL. We no longer fear defeat.

We embrace it. We're happy with 'silver linings'. We celebrate 'good effort'. For us, 'starting to turn the corner' incrementalism is all we need--or demand.

So no...there will be no fear.
    DCU 3:0 RSL
    DCU 3:1 RSL (if they happen to trot out Nolly for us again)​

5. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I call a tie, because we will suck all year but manage a good series result against DCU.

2-2

6. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I want a tie or win also. Hope dc is a little tired because it looks like they are on a roll! They have some winning streak going now..

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may be tired, because it was very very hot in DC for their New England game. DC's depth is awesome, however, and it should carry the day.

Also, we can't have our favorite/most hated ref for the game Abby Okulaja. He's the one who awarded the 2 late PKs to RSL 2 years back. Abby Okulaja was the ref for the New England game this past Sunday.

IMO, Okulaja called a pretty good game on Sunday, contrary to the many expectations folks have of him being the worst ref in the league.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does seem that RSL has DC's number of late, but man, DC is good. And it seems they never get called offside. Weird?
    Anyway, RSL will be lucky for a draw.

Maybe our South Americans will storm it up. Who knows?

9. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Based on recent Argentina v. Brazil results (Copa America, etc.), DC and their Brazilians would still have the edge, I'm afraid. :(

10. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no doubts that we will loose this game. I am guessing 4-1. Emilio gets a hat, and Olsen gets the other, 3 assists from Fred. We get a late first half goal from Findley on a break away.

11. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its ridiculous that we gave up a hat trick to jaqua (who went to the same college as i did, university of portland). if we gave up hat tricks two games in a row i would puke.

anyways, we lose this game 3-1. damnit dc united is good, i wish we had a team as good as theirs. maybe someday, hopefully sooner rather than later.

12. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    No they're not. :D

[​IMG]

13. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    This one makes me uneasy.

On the one hand, United has found a rich vein of form.
    • On the other hand, you already beat us.
    On the one hand, we have a lot to play for, since we control our own destiny with regard to the Supporters' Shield.
    • On the other hand, a team with nothing to lose has nothing to fear.
    On the one hand, we have newbies who are proving invaluable (McTavish, Burch).
    • On the other hand, you have veteran one-time DC United players (Esky, Rimando, and the well-loved Eddie Pope) who would love a result at RFK.
    On the one hand, we have played 10 games in 30 days--a frightful schedule with MLS rosters.
    • On the other hand, we have a nice break after Wednesday night.
    On the one hand: DCU (2) RSL (1)
    • On the other hand: DCU (2) RSL (2)

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, no love for MLS Cup winner Carey Talley? ;)

Two "other hands" to consider: 1) DC won't likely trot out Jay Nolly for this one, unlike our first encounter; 2) John Wilson got released, so no late game anti-heroics for DC there, unlike one of our encounters last year.

15. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I neglected Talley, a charter member of the thug squad (captained by Geoff Aunger). For that oversight I shall now flagellate myself.

(Flagellate. Flagellate! NOT fellate...sheesh, you all have dirty minds ;))

And you are correct in the GK department...sorry, Charlie, no Nolly. (couldn't resist...back to the flagellation).

16. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I would point out that RSL has developed a pattern of winning against the teams they shouldn't beat in terms of records and such...

FWIW, DC hasn't beat RSL since 2005 (twice) and their lifetime head-to-head record is... [drum roll]... 2-2-1 (W-L-D).

In fact, RSL killed a win streak in 2006 and one in 2007 so far - it would be the third time we kill a DC win streak if we managed to win on Saturday.

Look, it doesn't make sense, but neither did beating Houston or DCU earlier in the season either... or in 2006 for that matter.

17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it seems like in almost all sports there is one team out there that can match up well enough to always win. look at the jazz and the spurs. what is the jazz's record against the spurs in the last 8 or so years (especially in san antonio). not very good. it seems like we are to DCU what the spurs are to the jazz, at least in the last couple years. anything is possible, but i fear the usual RSL will show up and disappoint to go along with the status quo.

18. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Sandy
    is the mlstv.net thing free? want to watch the game for once. pissed they never show the away matches on ksl or fox rm like they used to. i know that's on another thread already, just wanted to bring it up.

19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I will take the other hand, RSL has scored 8 goals in the last 3 games, 2 wins 3-1 and 2-1 and 3 goals in the loss to Houston. They seem to be learning how to score and I think they will steal a win over an opponent that will ge looking past them regardless of what happened in the first match.

Pollyanna calls it 3-2 RSL.

Rimando back on form.

20. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What spidergoose is politely saying is that a goodly portion of that '1000' were members of La Barra Brava. All those waving flags and setting off smoke bombs...Barra. The drum lead for the chants and songs...Barra. All those folks in the black shirts with the three diagonal stripes on the front and the number 12 on the back...Barra. The drum circle on the concourse at half time...Barra.

And that '1000'...well, here's a quote from a Washington Post article:

Not that the Screaming Eagles are chopped liver. They've got around a thousand members, and the two groups, located right next to each other, combine for an awesome stadium experience...which is what BalanceUT found himself a part of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, DC United is planning a big recognition salute for Pope before the match. Lots and lots of love for him in DC...as well as for Esky and Nick...and, of course, Carey. And I think it's going to be a tough one, given RSL's record against DC and the desire of the former United players to remind everyone of their worth.

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's what I was seeing, except my angle was from above and to the left in those pictures. Honestly, I saw maybe 2 dozen people wearing what I recognzied as Screaming Eagles shirts and maybe 3 people wearing what I recognized as Brava shirts. So, I assumed that represented the proportion of membership in the large and generally contiguous supporter's section down below me.

It was, in fact, awesome. As great as RCB and the Loyalists are (I'm officially a Loyalist, though non-participatory even when living there), they can't hold a candle to the exuberance and volume of the DC groups.

Of course, given the amount of on the field success that DC has earned, it is easier to generate passionate fan interest. Make one wonder what RSL's attendance would be if the product on the field was worth a darn.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give credit where it is due, the Brava and Screaming Eagles (and beginning in 2001, La Norte) were still doing their thing during DC United's own three year "playoff-less" run from 2000-2002. And in 2003, they finished in fourth - still supporting their club all the way.

23. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    True... but having a few championships to console you during the lean years helps.

24. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't believe RSL could pull a win out of this match even if DC were to front them 2 goals. Glass half empty, you say? No, just being real.

RSL's miracle comeback in Carson was a one time thing this season. I mean, it was injury ridden LA...give me a break. I have zero confidence that this club can manage a road upset with any other team. A road draw is tangible, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it.

The Argentines have changed the complexion of this squad and have rekindled any amount of hope that RSL ever had this season. With almost nothing to work with, the Argies have inspired their team mates with aggressive play, well placed crosses and finished chances. Eight goals have been netted in the last three matches. A promising stat, that is for certain. But scoring three goals on the road doesn't do much for points when the home club scores four, including a ridiculous hat trick.

The solution cannot rest solely on the shoulders of these versatile South Americans. There are 8 other ballers out there. All of which must dig deep down to the bottom of the barrel and scrape any amount of confidence, hope, determination and grit that may be left, even if this campaign is already a gigantic failure.

I simply do not think this squad has the heart to give what it takes to rob maximum points from the eagles nest. In fact, I have come to expect RSL to lay yet another disappointing egg, and parade it on their faces as they get quoted in the papers saying: "We're comfortable with this loss."

Oh hell. Just poor me another, and ignore me, my brother.

25. jimbojjones

jimbojjones Member

May 3, 2007
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whatever reason, RSL always plays DC tough (probably getting up for the Ben Cup :D ). I don't see a win necessarily, with DC being on fire and all, but I don't think RSL will get laughed out of the stadium either.

Final score: RSL 2 - DCU 2. The Ben Cup stays in Salt Lake City.

(And just for kicks, goals by Esky, Espindola, and 2 from Emilio)