RSL offseason: roster discussion

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Donk, Oct 18, 2006.

1. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Re: RSL vs. Goats Final Season Game <<PRE PBP POST>>

I don't think Novak is a poor defender because of lack of drive or heart, or even technique for that matter. He's a poor defender because he's half the size of the guys he's trying to defend.

2. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

I tend to agree with this.

At best, he's playing beyond his natural strengths... but it's tough when you have to rely on a player to always put out a Herculean effort to cover his job because sometimes you're going to need a guy who's able to be "adequate" on an off day.

Nothing would make me happier to see Novak settle into a permanent position somewhere for RSL (or another MLS team) - it's hard not to cheer for the guy, but I also don't believe deep down he'll be the solution at right back.

Ismitje repped this.
  3. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France

How about playing the player in his natural position of Right Midfield?

4. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

Agreed.

And how about not resigning Pope ($393K)--his contract is now up--and using that money to find two big, legitimate backs?

5. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see this happen... well atleast the not re-signing pope thing. I think part of the reason we went out and spent the money on him is that he is a name and face the casual US soccer fan easily recognizes from his National team play. They signed him to put some butts in the seats in the innaugural season. And now that they have a fairly decent sized loyal fan base, I can easily see him being dropped. Now what they will do with the money if they do drop him is the scary questions cause they dont have the greatest of track records...

6. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's been hurt so we've all forgotten, but Danny Torres is actually quite a good center back. No matter what happens with Pope I believe Torres should start.
    Agreed in principle, but look how many right midfielders (or at least guys who can/have played it) RSL has: Williams, Klein, Mehdi, Trembly, Worthen, Kreis. Unfortunately Novak may be the odd man out. Which sucks because I'd like to see him succeed - nobody works harder out there than Novak.

7. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

I can agree with this. I love Eddie, and I still think he's worth that kind of cash flow, I just don't think that RSL should be paying that much when we are lacking size with Novak.

We've got Stewart, Broome, Torres, Novak and Pope for next season (right?) Let's take out Pope and lil Novak and add two big men to the equation.

8. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

I don't think he's good enough to displace who we have available at right midfield...

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I definitely agree with this.
    My take on this:
    Williams: Has become our main Left back.
    Klein: Will always start at right back if he is in an RSL uniform.
    Mehdi: Seems to be doing great in the middle, and will be a great Kreis replacement.
    Trembly: Not quite sure why we are paying this guy to ride the bench with an injury. Pretty sure we could drop him and pick up more defense.
    Worthen: Plays left back, IIRC.
    Kreis: Will hopefully not be back next season.

Seems to me that Klein is the only right back we have right now.

10. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden

On Pope:

I think he might be worth keeping around (he played well for us this season) if he gets re-signed at a much lower number. However, in the wacky world of MLS, what you get paid has as much (or more) to do with name recognition as it does with playing ability...

On Kreis:

Same as Pope.

11. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, but my point was any of these guys CAN play right mid and likely would if the spot were open. If the need for a right midfielder arises (say Klein gets injured), there are many options ahead of Novak.

On another note, why do some people think Kreis shouldn't come back? Is it because his output is down? I'll remind you that he's not the go-to guy he was in 2005.....in fact, in 2006 he didn't even play forward most of the year. But yet he still had 8 goals and 5 assists (in 2005 he had 9 and 4). Is it the way he seems to control Ellinger? Or how he plays so deep defensively? Why is everyone throwing him under the bus? Why?

12. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

I'm not sure it can be said Pope "played well for us this season". At least not consistantly well. He mailed it in before the WC. He had as many (or more) terrible, botched matches as he did solid matches. We tend to forgive Pope because of his pedigree.

Pope can be outstanding in one-on-one play. He's great at defusing breakdowns after they've happened. But his problem has always been working in synch with others along the back line. Torres & Stewart were much better in that respect.

Ismitje repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same reason as Pope: high salary compared to output.

Personally, I rate Eddie Pope as highly as any defender in MLS from about the second week of August to the end of the season. And I think you pay the high salary to someone who plays as well as any defender in the league. Put Torres in the lineup and get stronger outside right and we're solid.

Except for the question of goalkeeping. If you have one of eight other team's GK in net for RSL, I think you see RSL in the playoffs. That is the difference between Ellinger coaching us to the playoffs or not.

14. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Anyone remember the give-away to Donovan at the beginning of the season? A player like Pope shouldn't ever make that mistake.

15. Super Phil

Super Phil Member

Apr 1, 2006
    West Jordan
    Keep Kreis.

Dump Pope (unless he can be signed for less money than he makes now.)

I still think the RSL backline needs to be upgraded as much as possible. It's hard to evaluate guys who have been hurt all season (Broome), but the guys who were out there still made too many mistakes. A stronger defense which is better at distribution will make the offense better too. Probably should be looking for a keeper too.

16. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's time for fresh legs. Kreis did play much better the second half of the season, but he still seemed very lazy and very slow. If we could get rid of Kreis and bring in another "Mehdi" calibre player I'd be happy.

17. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Garlick were consistent. When he's on he's great. But too often he's flat footed as a "cross" from the left curls into the side of the net.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where to start?

How about keeper: Garlick is a basic, good keeper. Nothing glamorous, but he usually gets the job done.
    Replace him? With who? Nolly? I don't think so. Other options around the league include Walker of Crew, Cassar of FCD and maybe Rimando of DC.
    Although some feel beholden to the current crop of college GKs, I have not been impressed.
    So unless Garlick has a massive drop of form during the offseason or Checketts signs some Euro keeper great, Garlick will be in goal next year.

Unless Countess comes back. ;)

Ismitje repped this.
  19. Fuerza Real

Fuerza Real New Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Lion in Zion
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    *Cabrera, donde estas ahora que te necesitamos?

20. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, Kreis has lost a step or two. But the fact is, he still produces. Mehdi is my hero and I would be very happy if we picked up another Mehdi in this year's draft. But I'm curious, would you still make this trade if it meant trading Kreis' output (8G, 5A) for Mehdi's (2G, 2A)? I wouldn't.

They both have their place on the team, so my vote (as it were) is to keep Kreis.

21. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt mind Rimando. Thorton might be available too although I am not as impressed with him. I think we need to look outside the US, preferable South of the border cause most keepers in Europe would be too spendy. I honestly thought Countess could be a better keeper with a better defense in front of him. He had really good athleticism. But I dont think he is the answer to the keeper problem cause I dont think he is much of an improvement over Garlick. Rimando looked decent against Chicago last week and had a good PK save. I hope we loose Garlick and find someone...

22. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

I'm afraid I can't agree with this...
    Selected post-August Pope lowlights: #1 #2
    Pope is easily forgiven b/c of his vast pedigree. But IMO, his outrageous salary ($393K) demands he face a higher (not lower) level of scrutiny.

23. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep Kries and Pope for much less though. With the free'd up money we could go after another big time forward.

Novak only makes like $20k so his salary shouldn't be really a concern, especially if we drop Brownie.

24. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pope has been my favorite player for years now and I was ecstatic when we got him, but I have to agree with you. Pope is not worth that much money. I hope that they can resign him to a lower salary and keep him around, but we could get 4 pretty solid players for $100K each and I think that would be better for the team as a whole. And that's extremely hard for me to say as a huge fan of Eddie.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can you identify a defender in MLS who did not make similar mistakes over a similar time period? I cannot. That's a span of

I didn't say Pope was flawless since early August - only that he played as well as any defender in MLS, which your examples do not address. He certainly played better than other touted center backs (Erpen, Robinson, Garcia, and arguably Suarez) with the possible exception of Bobby Bowell - but DC's defense gave up plenty of goals over the same span.