RSL Mt. Rushmore?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSLer, Apr 6, 2020.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were to have a Mt. Rushmore for 4 RSL players, who wound they be? I’ll go ahead and nominate these three: Javi, Home Boy, KB5. Who would be the 4th? Or do you support someone other than my three? Have at it!!

pcny repped this.
  2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take your 3 plus Sabo. Still our greatest goal scorer.

pcny repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m inclined to agree with you. But, it’s open for debate. We’ve had some great CBs who are not on my list. Also, in the early days, we had some stars who had nothing around them who maybe should be on it. Then there are guys like Cunningham and Andy Williams..,

4. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My son was listening to this Mt. Rushmore idea on ExtraTime. I told him Javi, Rimando, Beckerman, and Sabo. He said that on the podcast they took the first three, and were considering either Beltran or Olave. Can't remember who they settled on. I love Beltran and Olave, but no way would I put them there above Sabo.

RSLer repped this.
  5. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 4th spot is tough, can we do a two-headed Borlave?

Ismitje and RSLer repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing this is exclusive to players? Jason Kreis, but only as a manager, would be worth a shout

RSLer repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The OP context is players, but nothing wrong with bringing up others. Uncle Dave is a strong nominee too.

15 to 32 repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rushmore of non players is actually pretty easy, IMO:
    Uncle Dave, Kreis, Lagerway, and DLH*

*jk, It's Bill Manning

pcny, RSLer, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I would go with Sabo, Javi, Kyle, and Nick.

What about a most popular or favorite player for any reason Mt. Rushmore? Or 4 players that people loved that never should be on a Mt. Rushmore?

Like Jamie Watson, Dr. Goals, Paulo Jr., and lets go with Seba. Oh what could have been.

RoyalNonesuch and RSLer repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cult player Mt Rushmore would be more entertaining.

Ned Grabavoy
    Tony Beltran
    Burrito
    Yura (various forms)
    Findley
    Mathis
    Campos
    etc.

RoyalNonesuch, pcny and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's Futhi in this list? The Striker of Destiny deserves more respect.

Ismitje and 15 to 32 repped this.
  12. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope
    Findley
    Grab-some-boys
    Espindola
    Will Johnson
    Gumby

RoyalNonesuch, DrownedElf, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  13. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would have his own mountain. Not prone to share the spotlight, that one.

15 to 32 repped this.
  14. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With coins. Lots of coins. Wait, are we now comparing DLH to a dragon?

15. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Kreis deserves his own mountain carving, preferably with this look on his face.

coach.jpg

PumaJohnny, goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Borlave could count as a kind of chimeric dual-head participant, because the precedent already existed.

Reading these names and nicknames makes me smile. I hadn't thought about the good years in a while. It used to be a blast to be an RSL fan.

SenordrummeR2 and goobx1 repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando makes Alexi Lalas’ MLS Mt. Rushmore. (Lalas put himself in the 2nd four, LOL).

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Launching the league and giving it credibility mattered. The only American player non-soccer fans (and there weren't many of us soccer fans) recognized was Alexi Lalas. All the Yanks Abroad who came back to play for the league mattered, but no one mattered more than Alexi Lalas coming back from Serie A, and it wasn't close. For that reason, I can see him being there.

pcny, goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. I acknowledge this. I still tell people “ He was the first American to play in Serie A” ( although I don’t honestly know if it is accurate). But in the 25 year history of MLS I just can’t rank him in the 2nd four.

Ismitje repped this.
  20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For an MLS top 4 it's too hard to choose IMO. A lot of the MLS 1.0 guys probably wouldn't be on teams today, or have nowhere near the impact that they did then. But they did get the league going, and we wouldn't be where we're at now without them paving the way. It'd be real easy to choose guys that played in the last 5-10 years, but it would be doing a disservice to some of those early players.

Ismitje and RSLer repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This conversation is akin to debating "Best Player" and "Most Valuable Player" which often get conflated but might also be considered very differently. Who goes on the Mt. Rushmore - your best players, your essential players, franchise players, other players, a combo?

Also, I like that we skipped right past Nicky being in the top four and on to whether Lalas belongs on the second four. What criteria keeps Nicky in the top four? And once you tweak the criteria, why not tweak it so Lalas is an answer for the second tier?

22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted the Nick info because it was Lalas’ list. The link to the show is at the bottom. It starts at the 17:50 mark. Cliffs:
    Eligibility set by the hosts: Played in the league. No coaches, owners, etc...

Alexi’s approach:

Mt. Rushmore symbolism as the template: Birth, growth, development, preservation

Americans only.

In each category the first person made Lalas’ four.

Birth: Eric Wynalda (first goal); Tab Ramos, Lalas

Growth: Eddie Pope (elevated the CB position in America, could have played anywhere in the world, stayed home); Chad Marshall

Development: lasting impact, carried the league through a dark time: Landon Donovan; Wondo

Preservation: breadth of experience, multi-informed perspective, warrior, work ethic, can’t be flustered, stood the test of time: Nick Rimando.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...r-all-time-major-league-soccer-mount-rushmore

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    compared to how the rest of the "Rushmores" were put together, Lalas actually put more effort into this than most anyone else. Also, the league Rushmore, given the history of this league, is very difficult to make. Far too many fans end up with MLS 3.0 guys, which is just a farce. Others pivot the other way and just throw out recent history.

I will say, the notion of ONLY USA players is dumb. We have 3 Canadian clubs, there should be one Canadian player on there or at least someone involved with those clubs. Dero fits this bill perfectly.

I think shoving Alophonso Davies, who is still just 19, onto the thing is laughable. As is Almiron. I get that these pundits like it for the "this is the future way of the league" argument, but there are still very serious possibilities that they both bust in a year or two and we completely forget about them.

I agree with Alexi that someone from the birth has to be involved. To not do so would show ignorance of the pains this league went through to get started. I think the first goal thing is being overstated. I honestly think Lalas really wants to put himself up there, and he should, but doesn't want to be the guy to say it. It's either him or Ramos. I'd go Lalas.

Also, David Beckham has to be on it. There is no way around it. The league completely changed after him. I don't care what your opinions of him are as a celebrity or soccer player, the change in this league before and after him is the most blatant thing.

The last spot? Landon Donovan. I don't like the guy, but he has to be on there. He is the American soccer player. The league MVP is named after him. He won. A LOT. He's been in the league from the retraction days to the most modern era, just behind Atlanta's introduction.

pcny, DrownedElf, Ismitje and 2 others repped this.
  24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of this. Limiting it to Americans was Lalas’ keeping it consistent with Mt. Rushmore. I have no problem opening it up to Canadians, but I don’t agree that a Canadian MUST be one of the four.

The group talked about how including foreign players, owners, coaches, etc... would change their four. Anyway, I posted because of the Rimando connection. I doubt any one of us would have otherwise seriously considered him. Lalas makes a good argument.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, don't get me wrong, i really enjoyed the way Lalas did it. Otherwise this was just a glorified way for Extra Time guys to talk about each team and say who were the top 4 players of the club. That seems to be their only measuring stick. The inclusion of Rimando, to me, was Lalas way of being Lalals: make noise.

The Rushmore only American thing also was challenged, rightfully, by the Extra Time guys. George Washington was a British citizen. As was Jefferson. Further, that thing is a national monument. This thing is a (really dumb and fake) league monument. The league isn't limited to the US.

Also, I misspoke before, it isn't between Ramos and Lalas for the "Birth" spot. It's between Lalas and Etcheverry. This comes down to an argument on was getting the thing going important, or were the first few years more important? Eddie Pope could go in here too, I suppose, but I don't hold him in the same regard. I'd put him in the Donovan category, honestly.

It was weird to say that Lalas had 2 RSL players on there. Especially when neither of those two are the first RSL player you'd put up. Granted, Pope is never going to be remembered first as an RSL player. The first RSL player you'd think is KB, at least when using the American rationale. It shows the dynamic of the league vs team, I suppose. To be fair, Nicky is the consensus number 2 or 3 pick behind KB & Javi for RSL.

Now, it's important to remember, Mt Rushmore doesn't feature a guy like Lafayette. To me, that is the most direct actual history comparison to David Beckham. Without him, this thing doesn't work. I'll still argue Beckham should be on there, but if you want to argue against me with that logic I'm going to have a hard time winning.

Also, it is funny to hear the Extra Guys talk up a guy like Davies but ignore Tim Howard. Howard was sold to Manchester United when they were Ferguson's Manchester United. And it should serve as a warning about Davies. Sure, Davies is on fire now, but it's not like Howard was god awful for United. Further, Howard made a hell of a career for himself, just not at the level people were really hoping for. You could argue the same with Clint Dempsey. It's weird how fast they are to prop up Davies when there are guys with legitimate history that could easily slide in to their rationale and avoid the fear of being a complete bust.

Also, this is where I slide in the fact that I was super critical of Herrera in 2018 when defending Davies. Yeah, man, I was off on that.

DrownedElf, Ismitje and RSLer repped this.