RSL/Metros Happy 4th of July- Pregame/In-game discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 28, 2005.

1. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as much as you said the ref was trying to screw you over, he has some balls giving a PK in the 90th

2. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no because it doesnt change the fact that the ref had a ********ing awful game.

3. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Great finish. When the guys put out like they did tonight, you can only give them praise. GREAT EFFORT!!!

4. japstam

japstam Red Card

Aug 12, 2004
    NYC
    Make-up call perhaps. His conscience finally got the better of him(?).

5. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Maybe it was really a foul. 16 fouls and no reds against Metro.

6. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great effort by the guys, it almost feels as rewarding as a win.

7. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Well it prevented a loss. If they had given up, we wouldn't be feeling this good and we wouldn't have gained a point.

This is progress!

8. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reports from the metro boards say that one of their players have been hit. nothing solid but i really hope that noone has been hit, that would just be classless and i hope that it doesnt become a trend at RSL games.

9. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good to see we had 25k tonight, while i bitch about being here alone, i'm sure there is a correlation between less people being online and more people being in the stands, and i'm fine with that, because fans online dont energize the players and bring in the revenues as much as those in the stands. hopefully the soldiering on of us RSLers in exile will be rewarded with feedback. notoriety, and best of all Rep. :D

10. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Very classless. But when you have a large crowd as tonight, it increases the chances of some drunkard acting like a jerk. Hopefully, no one was hurt. I don't think it's a trend.

On happier note, they are really crying on the Metro boards. :D

11. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i almost feel bad for them

12. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    my 300th post and I'm outta here.

Thanks again, Takkie.

13. iansfavouritecopilot

Jun 21, 2002
    Hartlepool, UK
    Hi there, RSL fans

Congrats to your team on pulling that around tonight. Fantastic effort against the odds and against what sounded like some top-class MLS officiating.

I got up a couple of hours early (at 3am) especially to catch the radio broadcast and it was worth it. Feels like you guys won the game, right? :D

I like your team and the fans. Best of luck for the remaing season (barring Quakes games).

Ian, UK :)

14. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    I think the term Hari-Kari would be more appropriate.

15. celeritas

celeritas New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Wow, some of the fiery effort challenging the opponent's posession and moving without the ball finally earned a point...the lads have been a lot more active of late.

It's a shame that RSL garnered only 2 points out of the last three games. The effort has been there. Mathis is more lively - I personally thought he looked like someone fighting a bad back in the past month - but what do I know?

Congrats to RSL and the faithful...and curses to the forces that had me stuck at work this evening.

16. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i felt inspired, go figure

1-0 down at halftime and it all looked bleak
    but the boys in red weren’t about to turn the other cheek
    we’d been punched in the gut by that ************** terry
    but the boys were still trying to make us all merry.
    The turning point came when he bulldog scored.
    Oh how the Rice- Eccles faithful roared
    When we needed a hero, up came Captain Kreis.
    Who showed us all to be men and not mice.
    Stepped up to the spot and put the ball in the net
    And caused our expectations to be succinctly met .
    We chanted all day and made sure to be loud
    They worked their tails off and made us proud

not really good but meh, whatever.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done, folks! I was afraid that after the situation at halftime, the game was going to go in the S-ter. Props for not folding.

I think you guys will continue to improve and eventually turn it around. Hopefully today was a good start on that.

18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Your anger is strong Padawan..... ;)
    Way to carry the flame tonight Takkie.....
    Couple of thoughts... Is Chris Brown aweful, or terrible? I haven't come to any definitive assumptions on this one yet.
    Trembly deserves to be in the starting 11, taking Brown's spot. Trembly goals 2, Mathis goals 0.... Who would have thought that at the begining of the year.
    Watson works his ass off, and creates all sorts of chances. Him and Pope are our best players right now.
    As for the refs... I don't know I think they performed up to their standards tonight. :D
    Our point is nice but the Crapids take 3, that is going to leave a mark. I still think we are going to make the playoffs though (am I a homer or what?).... Things are moving in the right direction. I thought some of our results early in the year were flattering considering our performances, and it seems this has caught up with us. But the last three games we could have easily taken more points, and I think it all starts with having someone (WAtson) who can stretch the defense up top. I'm looking forward to next week.... Go RSL!

19. celeritas

celeritas New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    So what about Chivas next week?

With Rusty hurt and Dunseth suspended, the need for help from Broome and/or Gregorio could not be greater.

This is a big game for RSL's playoff aspiriations, big because it's winnable, and big because winning it keeps Chivas in the goat pen where they belong.

20. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A few points from my perspective at the game:

1) RSL put together a terrific first half - they gave up a goal on the counter-attack that was a no call on Watson (horrible refing). This was one of several that lead up to this... However, for 40 odd minutes the Metros were on their heels - RSL pressing and pressing, they did a very good job "possessing" / holding the ball - they were patient and not afraid to move it around. DJ coughed up a bad rebound that resulted in the first goal.

Someone above mentioned that they thought this formation / style was not working for them and that they should have played "bunker ball" and tried for counter-attacks... I can only think that they weren't at the game. This was one of the best first halves I've seen RSL play - they were just unlucky at the end.

2) I thought the players did very well in the game - all played with a lot of heart. Even when it looked like we'd lose this one as a 2-0, I was proud of their effort and truly felt the Ref had screwed this one up for RSL.

The PK at the end seemed like a make-up to me (probably shouldn't have been called, but the ref had already severely influenced the game negatively by incompetence) - there was definitely contact on Kreis but probably not a PK. However, by not calling the 3-4 takedowns of Watson in the first half and then a stupid red card on Dunseth, he'd put RSL in an unjust hole...

Obviously, momentum is hard for RSL to sustain when Watson is getting held, pushed, etc. and then a "no call" gets reversed as a counter-attack for a cheesy goal, followed by a dubious red card. Yeah... the ref was an idiot.

3) Williams and Mathis both played well and contributed to the game - I was very pleased with Mathis play in this one. Sure, he didn't have any goals but he was putting ball after ball in for Watson or Kreis that was really giving the Metro defense trouble. He DOES need to learn to shoot with his left foot though ... one good chance in the first half he squandered trying to move it to his right boot.

Brown had a few very nice feeds to Watson, it was a good switch to put Trembly in as a sub... they both do much better when not asked to go the whole game - Jamie did great, but needs to work a bit on the finish... he's dangerous now, but would be lethal if he could manage a better last "move" and shot. He'd run onto balls and struggle a tad getting it under control, make space, and shoot... but you gotta love his pace.

Cutler seems better and better. He had a couple of lame passes / giveaways but he also moves the ball upfield well.

The boys really played well - all of them. I could finally see the potential of the team - if they can just tighten up a few items in terms of execution, going down 2-0 seemed unfair... they were clearly the better team on the night in my opinion.

21. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.

No.

For the first 68 minutes of the game, I saw something that this morning I would've thought impossible: somehow the ref was pleasuring the entire Metros side simultaneously with the occasional help of the side judges. That red card was crap--it was a yellow at worst. There were two reasons it was red; 1) RSL was pissed and the crowd was booing because the ref had just seriously blown a call on the other end, and 2) Gavin had a sudden, severe attack of the histrionics. Unless he shows up at practice tomorrow with a concussion I refuse to believe it was anything worth a red.

After that things got really heavy-handed back and forth; those two cards on the Metros in back-to-back minutes were really odd and seemed to be makeups more than anything else. The fouls weren't clean, but it was still odd to watch. The PK was legit. Kreis was clipped in midair trying to field a header in the box. If you don't want to risk a foul, don't smash into the league's all-time leading scorer when he's sailing through the air.

I'm also dismayed to see Trembly's goal as unassisted. I'm almost 100% certain Tiger dished it to him. I remember thinking, "Sweet! Tiger got an assist!" Maybe I was mistaken, but there was only one black guy with dreads out there, and I'm pretty dang sure he's the one that fed Trembly.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job posting the PBP Takkie, especially for us RSL fans in Exile.
    Props to the fans that were there last night and were loud all night.

And finally love goes out to the team which never gave up and tied it up in the end.

Now, we just gotta win this weekend!

23. Maldran

Maldran Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relatively new to the soccer scene in the US. Have played most of my life growing up and always loved the sport, really got turned onto it when i took a trip to Europe and got to see how big it was over their, came back and really started watching it a lot more on our local spanish channels here in Phoenix AZ, (i understand a little hehe) but I am getting my wife to get the Fox Sports Soccer package so i should be able to watch a lot more and understand more as well, the extra time and stuff is still confusing to me, but i digress, just wanted to introduce myself.

I have adopted RSL as my team here in the united states, close by, and I was born in Utah, I plan on taking a road trip up their to go and see a game, probably sometime in September, maybe the DC United game, I bet that would be packed.

Anyway, back onto subject of last nights game, i was able to catch about an hour of the webcast and they keep it pretty interesting, really starting to learn the players names etc, and thanks to Takie for the play by play on the boards, it was great, I really think they can turn it around this year and maybe bring themselves within contention!

24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Welcome to Bigsoccer, Maldran

25. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    Thought I'd put in my thoughts from the game. It was incredibly frustrating for me to see us play very well in the first half and miss scoring because of bad luck and some weak finishing. Watson is great but he needs to learn how to finalize better. He's young and it will come. The officiating was horrible! Maybe when Watson increases his reputation as a player he will start getting some calls. He was mugged a number of times with no calls. I admit that I am an RSL fan but it seemed the ref was calling the game with a Metros lean; maybe to show that he was not going to be affected by the crowd.
    I didn't watch the replay on the screen of Dunseth's foul because I was screaming at the ref so I can't say for sure if it was a legitimate red (he had just missed a call for Watson and was being pressured by the crowd) I doubt it was.
    We had the control for the most part in the first half.
    The second half (except for the first few minutes) we were really working to get something back. I was pleased to see the team as a whole give such an effort. Much of the second half the Metros seemed to be working the ball well but did not seem to be overly concerned with attacking and that provided some opportunities for us. I was glad we didn't just pack it in. The work finally paid off and we managed to get a proper finish courtesy of Trembly. The penalty call was questionable but after some of the calls that went against us I was excited to accept it.
    All in all it turned out ok. It's a game we should have won but under the circumstances a tie works well. The crowd was great, and it was fun.
    Thanks Takkie for the pbp. It was interesting to come back a read it to see how things looked from here.