RSL Columbus (implied r)

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Scipio Gothicus, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was I the only one contrasting JK9 to SH last night?

And thinking of how lucky FCD is to have Ellinger?

I found the "culture of winning" comment by SH interesting. The team was used to losing, SH contends, and that is why he was hired. He seems to believe he has taken care of that.

There was also a "culture of getting to the playoffs." SH has solved that as well.

-SD

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    You want to contrast the two coaches? OK

Jason Kreis' first 20 games in charge at RSL
    4 wins
    12 losses
    4 draws

Schellas Hyndman's first 20 games at FC Dallas
    5 wins
    8 losses
    7 draws

Jason Kreis' next 20 games at RSL
    7 wins
    7 losses
    6 draws

Schellas Hyndman's next 20 games at FC Dallas

6 wins
    7 losses
    7 draws

Jason Kreis' next 20 games at RSL
    8 wins
    7 losses
    6 draws

Schellas Hyndman's next 8 games at FC Dallas(his last 8 games in charge)

5 wins
    3 losses
    1 draw

(stats include playoff games and USOC)

Where exactly do you get this idea that Jason Kreis is a much better coach than Schellas Hyndman? The fact that RSL finished 1 point above FC Dallas this year? They got lucky in the crapshoot that is the MLS playoffs? Please don't try and tell me that Columbus losing to RSL was anything more than Warzycha shooting himself in the foot by for some inexplicable reason leaving his best player on the bench last week.

To me what this thread proves is that SH deserves to be given more time rather than blowing this thing up again. I wonder if FC Dallas fans would've given Kreis as much time as they have at RSL to actually get his own team in there.

If you look at RSL at the end of last season, they made a fairly furious run to get to the playoffs very similar to ours this season except they were able to sneak in when we weren't this year(though NY got in last year with the same 39 point total we have this year). If we had snuck into the playoffs this season, it's not crazy at all to think we could've won our first round match.

3. Furacao del Norte

Mar 13, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? Two playoff series wins vs. no playoff appearances?

Right now, Hyndman has half a good season under his belt. At this point, all we can do is hope he can give us an entire good season. We have no clue what he'll do once he gets in the playoffs. (except for SMU experience... uh, oh)

Kreis, on the other hand, has demonstrated an ability to do enough to get in, and to beat superior teams in a two game series. He might be lucky, but it's happening enough that maybe it's not luck.

It demeans RSL's accomplishment to say we would have done the same thing. The last time we were in Columbus, we got pretty thoroughly beaten, and that was during Cunningham's hot streak.

To say SH and JK are equivalent, you have to discount everything JK has done, and speculate optomistically about things SH still needs to do.

4. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More proof the playoffs are a crapshoot.

5. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Better coach is debatable, but you have to give Kreis credit for getting his guys ready to play in live or die games. Two yrs in a row, against their rival, he has led his team to a win, then upset teams in the first round of the playoffs. If it's lucky to get to the conf finals two yrs in a row, Dallas would have done it. I still think Kreis is getting training to become FCD's coach of the future, so I want him to go as far as he can, so when he comes here, he will have experience in coaching in the playoffs and can get this team back to where it belongs. Man I remember it as if it was yesterday when Dallas and LA were the only teams to qualify for every playoffs. Where have those days gone....sob.

6. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Look at the record comparisons. Kreis was worse than SH in his first 20 games which is pretty tough to do.

Comparing NCAA Playoffs to MLS Playoffs would be like comparing NCAA basketball playoffs to NBA playoffs.

He's also gotten exactly 40 points both of his seasons and needed a minor miracle to sneak into the playoffs both seasons(92nd minute goal at Colorado last year).

Maybe I rate the 30 game regular season a little bit higher than a 2 game playoff series and value the Supporters Shield over anything else, but how is it optimistically speculating to say SH and JK are equivalent when their records through the same amount of games are very very similar?

FCD was one point from being in a completely identical situation to the one RSL was in last year.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is kind of funny when you think about it. Kreis inherited a dumpster fire of a team put together by ...our ...now...assistant coach.

SH inherited a team that made the playoffs the year before - but can be argued was stagnating under Morrow.

So it took Kreis longer to get his team in gear - they were a laughing stock. Which Hyndman turned us into before this post-All Star Break tear - due in large part to a Man on Fire named Jeff Cunningham.

I am not sold on SH either - but I think he has a team mostly in place that can be pretty good. We still need a forward. Cunningham is getting up there and cannot be expected to maintain his scoring pace so we need more forwards - badly.

I think Hyndman is arrogant, over-confident, think he knows everything and does not know what he does not know.

Having said all that - SH has FINALLY put together a pretty decent team - next year is when we will know what SH thinks he knows.

But yes - I think Kreis is a better coach. What I want to see from Hyndman is to stop trying to out think himself, stop trying to over/micro manage the team - put 11 good players together, give them a system and let them play.

Making the MLS playoffs is pretty easy for pro sports. The random chance for NOT reaching the playoffs once in either of the last 2 years is 20.64%. Or making the playoffs for that matter. But making the playoffs is not random - teams are trying hard (kind of) to make it while other teams are doing things that make reaching the playoffs hard.

So that means Kreis and RSL has been doing more things right than we have.

I think that is pretty clear. Which is not all on SH but a rather amateur FO as well.

8. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Northside, you know I love ya man, and I agree with your post.

But this paragraph -

"Making the MLS playoffs is pretty easy for pro sports. The random chance for NOT reaching the playoffs once in either of the last 2 years is 20.64%. Or making the playoffs for that matter. But making the playoffs is not random - teams are trying hard (kind of) to make it while other teams are doing things that make reaching the playoffs hard."

Hell man, if you're not a politician you should become one!!! :)