RSL at Saprissa - CCL Semifinals Leg 2, 8 MDT [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go; it's our next game, and our biggest game, and it's time we focused on it appropriately!

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subs - and for anyone who missed it in the general CCL thread: this game will be played at the Estadio Saprissa.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's this for ironic: I cannot watch this game live because I will be hosting the former President of Costa Rica, Oscar Arias, Nobel Peace Laureate in 1987. I'll be the only impatient part of the hosting group, from his arrival at my office at 5 pm MDT until he finishes his talk at 10 MDT.

4. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is gonna be a long 8 days ...

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, maybe if you bring it up he'll want to see the game too. :D Or at least, he'll be pleased to find that someone in your hosting group knows who Saprissa is.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was booed (or so I read) at the stadium opening this weekend, so maybe he doesn't want anyone to mention soccer at all! :)

7. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If they booed him, maybe you can turn him into an RSL fan...

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as a "gift" give him something RSL related along with whatever else you are giving him...

This game has me nervous already. As was stated in the CCL thread, all I want is for the guys to attack this game. don't be afraid. Take it to them. Saprissa has to go through us to get to the final, not the other way around. We are RSL. We are a force to be reckoned with.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Espy, Sabo, Johnson, Morales, KB, Andy*, Wingert, Olave, Borchers, Russell, Nicky[/LINEUP-4-4-2]
    I have Andy in my starting XI but I could easily see that switched for someone like Grabavoy. Andy would be a tremendous sub no matter the situation. I'd love for him to start, too, but understand the move if JK has him on the bench.

Not sure if Russell is the right guy to start, but we will see.

I'm also tempted to start Paulo Junior in this one with Sabo. The problem there is that Espy has done nothing to lose his spot (quite the opposite, in fact). I just think Paulo's speed would be ideal for the likely attack heavy approach Saprissa will take.

The first 10-15 minutes will be very telling in this one.

Please don't come out in a shell, Jason. You built an attacking team, put these guys on their heels early. The fans will be silenced a bit by an early away goal

9. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up two goals going in, and knowing how important a away goal will be. I think this match will be all about RSL being able to break out and get a counter goal as Saprissa pushes to make up the 2 goal deficit. This will also lead to a tough choice for Kries, Sabo is a given but does he give the other start to Espindola or Paulo?

After watching our last match and taking nothing away from Espindola I think Paulo and his speed can make the case for the start.

Fact is this match will be tough, the crowd will be huge and scary loud, and to make it worse the officials will undoubtably suck! For RSL to advance they will need that away goal and I see a player like Paulo being able to break away for a goal or at the least be able to keep Saprissa from pressing up too far simply out of respect for his speed.

This match will end 3-1 for Saprissa with RSL advancing on the away goal rule. Sorry Garth but sometimes the world game and its rules work.
    and after Sabo scores off a Paulo cross you will reconsider retiring the number 9 and allow Sabo to wear it.:)

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this will hopefully be in Jason's pre-game discussions this week and before the match, especially to guys like Javi and Kyle. The refs will be bad, terrible calls will be made, all will seem to go in favor of Saprissa. Dont get overly frustrated with it. Just let it go and play on. It would be a disgrace if Kyle or Javi had to sit the first leg of the final because they didnt give Saprissa the 10 yards quick enough

11. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in a tip of my hat to Kries, he seemed to be able to instill this idea into his players last match when so many shitty calls were made at Rio Tinto in the first half.

12. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am so excited.

13. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MY prediction is rsl will score in the first 20 minutes. Saprissa might come back with one our two goals and that will be it. Rsl will prevail!

14. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    That is very impressive.

15. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so excited for this game. I look at it as yet another way to prove to the league, the region, the world, and in a way most importantly the community here in Utah, that RSL is for real. A lot of my friends who don't know a whole lot about soccer have asked how RSL is doing "in that international tournament". It says a lot that they are competing and beating teams from what they see as "soccer countries". I hope it continues.

16. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Odds are you will not be the only member of the hosting group or traveling party to be interested in this match. With all your skills at diplomacy I trust in your ability to get the match on a T.V. by halftime at the least.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have to go with the A team in this one. Andy starts, Fabi and Sabo start. I feel more comfortable with the team with the most experience, not dissing on PJ or Ned.
    -----
    Are you guys going to the stadium to watch this ($25/head, but there is food this time)?

I was going to get things set up for Scaddys in SLC to host it. Anyone interested?

18. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    That is very impressive.

19. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'm sure he would prefer to watch the game too.

20. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously can't wait for this game. If RSL wins, I will go nuts waiting for the final at RioT.

21. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if RSL wins im seriously thinking of flying in to SLC for the final. im so pumped up/nervous for this game, i havent been this antsy since the 2009 MLS Cup. ill go nutso if RSL advances.

22. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Not worried.

They're up two points, no away goals to deal with, they got this.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game kicks at 8pm mountain time, right?
    Isnt that going to be farily late in Saprissa?

I am perfectly ok with the later kick as I have class until 7:20 that night. Gives me plenty of time to get home and will be a semi-decent distraction to make time go bye.

24. SamsungUnited

SamsungUnited Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Real salt lake will not lose by 2 goals or more. That's bottom line.

Last time that happened was a fluke to FCD in Dallas. Long time ago!

25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question: do you guys think Olave will play the full 90 (or 120 if necessary) on turf?