RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tv PBP announcer just noted that 4 former RSL Academy players are playing for the USA team against Mexico, with a 5th on the bench (Glad).

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is awesome, no doubt about that

However

Justen Glad (1997 YOB)
    Aaron Herrera (1997 YOB)
    Bofo Saucedo (1997 YOB)
    Sebastian Soto (2000 YOB)
    David Ochoa (2001 YOB)

You'll notice a heavy focus on the 97 class, which was extremely good. After that, it seems the academy has struggled at producing at the same rate. Which might be an unfair marker, but it's one they created. The concern should also be on how few of the current academy players are being called into the younger national teams.

If you look at projected/recent lineups for the following age groups you'll see very few, if any, RSL products on display

USA u15: 0
    USA u17: 0
    USA u20: 1 (Ochoa)

Like everything else, Covid really threw a wrench in the youth national team camps/games/selections. However, there is no suggestion that RSL players were on the radar for these teams. I hope the academy takes that as a sore thumb and looks to fix it. I've seen the academy teams play in friendlies recently and know there is some really good talent there, so I'm cautiously optimistic that this can be corrected. But time will tell

RSLer repped this.
  3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Just wondering how much the multi-year effort to build and move the academy to Herriman disrupted players joining the academy and the teams ability to develop players during that period.

I've heard good things about Tom Spall who joined just before the pandemic as academy director, as well as about Arnold (coaching director), and I'm intrigued by the addition of the younger groups (13/14) and how that will bolster the program in the long run.

I think MLS Next just kicked off recently. It'll be interesting to see how that impacts development for RSL and other MLS academies.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1129 15 to 32, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    I'm likely being too narrow minded with this, but I fail to see how moving the academy out of the middle of nowhere Casa Grande (an hour until literally anything) to the south end of the SLC valley would discourage players.

I'm not aware of the 13/14 groups. Where did you see that?

Edit: I found an article on the team site from July of last year announcing the addition of the u13 and u14 team in Arizona. These teams already existed but this makes the relationship formal. I have opinions on this.
    1. I've officiated this team at various tournaments. They are not very good. The score at that age 10000% doesn't matter, the development does. However, what I saw was not good.
    2. I love this idea to create a pipeline for Arizona. I have an issue that we don't see the same thing in Utah. There are too many youth clubs in this state for the size. I've long been of the opinion that RSL needs to be more involved. Having a team at those ages would be a good first step in achieving that.

goobx1 repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 to 32, Ismitje and Allez RSL repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should clarify that Homeboy is the Academy Goalkeeping Coach, not THE coach. He is also Community Ambassador. I doubt being a UVU assistant would have interested him. However, it is very conceivable that KB5 would recruit him to his staff.

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Honestly, I'm surprised Nick stayed in Utah. I had heard there was a lot of interest in bringing him into the USSF. Maybe that has changed? Maybe the Academy is just a better job?

If I was counseling someone like Kyle what he should do to get ahead in a new coaching career, I would definitely recommend he cut his teeth outside of RSL. He's spent so much of his career with the organization, and it might be too cozy of a fit to the point that he won't get a "real" experience (see what I did there?). Also, he'd be losing out on some valuable perspective.

15 to 32, SenordrummeR2 and RSLer repped this.
  9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think there might be a little more friction between Kyle and RSL. I heard he has a rather low opinion of Freddy so it makes sense he would go elsewhere.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know many, if not most/all, assistant coaches at the NCAA level tend to have secondary (or maybe primary?) jobs to their duties. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick did both RSL and UVU. Are there any rules against that?

11. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made it over to the academy this morning to watch the u15s and u17s play Breakers from California

the 15s tied 1-1 in a really entertaining game.

the 17s won 6-1 and it wasn’t even that close.

a few items of note:
    • The best player in the u15 game was a local kid that played for la roca up to last year. Nickname is Gozo. The kid has incredible pace and is very comfortable on the ball.
    • Breakers had a lot of talented kids in the u15 game. They celebrated the draw as a big accomplishment.
    • Apparently with that the two teams and one from Sacramento get to play in a national showcase of sorts
    • On the u17s it was interesting to see Jude Wellings play. He dominated the midfield.
    • The score was 4-0 after a half hour. Four different goal scorers. That group looked really good - and breakers looked really bad
    • Herrera and Rubin were on the next field over doing a training session with the Monarch’s. Axel Kei was there as well, though i didn’t see him participating as much
    • There were a number of u17 players to keep an eye on, most notably was number 14 (pictured on the link below - unsure what his name is) who was an absolute beast down the wing.
    • all in all, it was fun to watch and see so many rsl faces. I highly recommend getting out to watch if you can.
    • https://www.rsl.com/academy/news/

goobx1, Allez RSL, pate and 2 others repped this.
  13. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pate and rslfanboy repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soapbox, after far too much social nonsense, gave an update about an apparent snafu with the club in regards to messaging. Anyone care to give a twitter recap?

15. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bueller?

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why did I post that here?

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea but now I have a need to figure out what the heck you mean!

19. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U15s are doing well in the MLS Next tournament - they're on to the quarter-finals.

RSLer, Ismitje, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U15s in the final tonight, start time moved to 6:30 MDT

RSLer and Med_Phys repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were beaten on a golazzo from none other than Santi Morales. I really think he would be playing for RSL Academy if not for DLH. But that’s my opinion.

pate repped this.
  22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume so as well. Had DLH not ran him out, I would think Javi and Santi would still be with the organization.

pate and RSLer repped this.
  23. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I guess this could go in the Monarchs thread as well, but this KSL article about the Academy is great.

I either didn't know or had forgotten that he is primarily tasked with the Academy as Assistant GM.

Jaziel Orozco is highlighted, as he's the Monarch captain, signed his 1st pro contract this year at 18, and graduated the Academy all in 2022.

Other good stuff too.

Ismitje, 15 to 32, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

Watch that Twitter account next week. Jon Spencer had a great summer recruiting notable players from around the country.

15 to 32 repped this.
  25. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's common for players to leave academy's for another? How does this impact the HG rights?