RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I guess the reason I posted this is because I think it's more complicated than just "GM = bad". I think it's best understood as a distinct strategy we pursued in 2016-18 to only include players on the first team who could play first-team minutes, and not use roster spots on guys for purely developmental reasons.

If we'd won a championship in 2017 we wouldn't be questioning the strategy. But it was always a strange choice for a club that professed to care so much about development. If anyone in the league should have been willing to invest the roster spots, it should have been us.

So it's easy in retrospect to say we should have signed Soto instead of Jose Hernandez, but at the time Jose had just won Pac-12 player of the year and would likely have been a high first round Superdraft pick. We wanted the depth Jose provided. In retrospect Jose didn't pan out, but I think a lot of clubs would have done the same thing.

And I guess the truly important fact is that we appear to have gone a different direction now. Arriaga and Vasquez are both off-brand signings for Waibel, so maybe we learned the lesson.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to complain about signing an academy product that went to college.
    I am going to get pissed on the UW alum that took a spot that should have been used on them
    I'm also going to point out that the Monarchs actually exist and Craig Waibel's inability to manage that relationship is laughable

Keeping this only to the first team, the following players were on the roster that Soto should have been picked over:
    2016: Kavita, Okwuonu, Stertzer, Schuler, Welshman
    2017: Dunk, Schmidt, Schuler

Pl@ymaker, RSLer and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See comments added to your quote.

I will agree with you though. It’s not as simple as “GM=bad”. I’ve said this before: the bad begins at the very highest level of the organization. The top of the org chart.

4. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    First game of the U19 playoffs, RSL drew Atlanta 2-2 on a stoppage time header by 00 Delentz Pierre.

Pierre is a left-footed CB who has also played LB with the Monarchs this season. He's probably one of the closer players to a HG contract. He's committed to Portland in the fall but could be invited for training camp next year, or possibly even sooner.

Arriaga was very good playing as a sort of false nine. Vasquez also played as a LW and was fairly dangerous. Ochoa had a very strong game and can't be blamed for either conceded goal, as both were PKs.

I watched most of the game and thought we were the better side for most of it. A loss would have been a harsh result.

rslfanboy, RSLer, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  5. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    One of our top academy players, 01 Bryce Duke, is leaving for the Barca academy.

He's been one of our top academy players and has a handful of YNT appearances, as recently as earlier this year. However, he has yet to make a single Monarchs appearance, and he may just not see a path with our organization.

The Monarchs have been better this year but somehow Julian Vazquez has only made 1 appearance, and we still regularly trot out late-20s career USL vets in lineups. There's been close to 0 integration from the academy, and Duke leaving may just be the consequence.

rslfanboy repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant wait to hear how this is inevitable from the Waibel apologists.

7. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well Waibel tried to sign him to a ful RSL contract (after he already signed/committed to moving to Barca), and he refused, there was nothing Waibel could do.

rslfanboy repped this.
  8. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    MLS rules stopped him from signing Duke.

rslfanboy repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hashimoto is still kicking around?

Thread title edited, way past when it should have been.

Allez RSL repped this.
  10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad that RSL is feeding players into the Barca system, as was always envisioned way back when the academy was in Arizona. That;s the super sekrit agreement that Checketts signed with Barca way back in 2005.

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I thought we only signed players from Duke. Oh wait, 7 years too late.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    So that's why we went with red, blue, and yellow. Real was just a red herring.;)

15 to 32 and El-ahrairah repped this.
  13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not even the Barca academy in Spain, it’s the one in Arizona.

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Hi!!!!

Ouch. Maybe @irondeepbicycle knows, but
    • what is life like in the Barca Arizona Academy?
    • Do they pay for school/housing?
    • What league do these players play in?
    • What is the road map for signing with them vs. staying in RSL's academy?

15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, THAT Barca academy. Meh, not much of a step up as I thought.

16. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that makes it worse. He's making a lateral step to get out of the sucking void that seems to be RSL.

goobx1 repped this.
  17. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Even lateral is debatable. With the new shift in the USSDA tiers next year, he's actually going down a level.

El-ahrairah, SenordrummeR2 and Allez RSL repped this.
  18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that RSL is a sucking void. I would say that it's more slightly aspirate black hole.....

Anyway, I would have said that he's looking for more playing time, but if he's as good of player as everyone says, I would think he's getting as much playing time as he wants/needs.

19. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    It's September which means we get to see RSL's most talented former academy players playing for NCAA teams (instead of the Monarchs).

First, here's Milan Iloski's hat trick for UCLA. Goals 1 and 3 featured some poor goalkeeping, though his composure on the third goal was impressive.

Then Ben Ortiz, 01 freshman at Portland, scoring as well:

15 to 32, rslfanboy and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish the U and Y (but mostly the U because of my allegiances) would implement a D1 boys program. I've gone over my idea of this in the past - a partnership with the school for academy graduates if they do want to go to college.

21. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Milan Iloski making headlines again. He just set a UCLA record by scoring FIVE goals in one game. Here's the 5th:

These five give him 14 on the year, which leads the NCAA. At this point I'd be surprised if he plays his senior year - we pretty much have to sign him this offseason.

RSLer repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that first name he'll become a top 3 player of mine instantly. Can't wait to watch him get stuck in the weird between space of RSL fringe 18 but not Monarchs 18...

23. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The thing I can't wait for is all the adoring press about our incredible academy system after he's signed. Like we get to sign one of the best players in the NCAA as our XXth academy signing - how cool?!

It bugs me because I've been stanning for Iloski for a while on this board. He's the level of talent we really should have signed right out of the academy, but instead we let him play 3 seasons against subpar competition. I wish he had 50 Monarchs games under his belt right now.

RSLer, 15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how are we supposed to win Monarchs games if we're out here developing first team talent?

RSLer and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn’t strongly RSL Academy related, but it seems like the best fit. I haven’t heard anything about this. Anyone have some cliffs?