RSL 2024 In-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Allez RSL, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    How has Philip Quinton been for you all? Saw he was error prone in the first few matches.

2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of worked as a RB? It's probably been the better performances in that role compared to CB

Ball Kicker and Med_Phys repped this.
  3. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listened to an interview he did and he says it's similar to being a CB in a back 3, so not too much of an adjustment.

I think there's something to the comfort level between the CB's and GK when he's CB in a back 4 though, look at the goals against in those situations.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More down than up imo. And it’s not close. To me his acquisition represents just how bad our back line depth has become. MacMath’s troubles coincide with the ascension of Quinton into the lineup. Trying to find a positive spin I will propose that there is a lot of room for him to grow into the 2 positions he has played.

RoyalNonesuch, Ismitje and Ball Kicker repped this.
  5. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Quinton’s not the best but let’s not pretend that Quinton forced MacMath to flub his midfield clearance or flub that other “save” against Dallas or strand himself in no man’s land against LAG. MacMath has been consistently inconsistent for a good decade and it has nothing to do with Quinton’s arrival.

15 to 32 and Allez RSL repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m just answering the question that was asked. His play hasn’t been good. Obviously MacMath isn’t perfect, and you are correct regarding his history. But, he was having a strong (I don’t use the word lightly) season until Quinton came in and was immediately given lots of playing time. I’m not blaming Quinton. That wouldn’t be fair. But, that is when MacMath’s current struggles began.

Med_Phys and goobx1 repped this.
  7. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer repped this.
  8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sharing some points made in The RSL Show podcast that I found interesting:
    1. They were talking about how loud the stadium got. Host A- even before first kick it was loud! Host B- because the 30 minute delay allowed the typically late fans to get into their seats on time.
    2. This team wouldn’t be as good with Pablo Ruiz starting. There was some discussion that if he was healthy maybe he could play the 10 role with Arango in the 9.
    3. This team really emphasizes that DLH stole the soul from the organization.
    4. If the FO brings in another player it needs to be a Right Back, although there are whispers of a DP CB.
    5. This team would kill the 2013 team. The only player they would start from 2013 is Rimando. Eneli and Ojeda are like having 2 Beckermans…who pass better. They did point out that Beckerman’s role was different.
    6. Katranis is the best LB in club history.
    7. They compared this team reaching the MLS Cup Final to the Jazz reaching the NBA Finals back in the day…..they get there and have to go against the GOAT.
    8. They marveled at how Luna played like a crazy man. I wish they had introduced the Olympics camp snub into this part. During the game I was thinking that “he’s out to show Mitrovic that he made a big mistake”.

9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, what? I know the guys on that show can get a little caught up in the moment, but did they have any stats to back this up? Beckerman was one of the best passers playing the DM role. I think both Eneli and Ojeda are playing great this season, but I wouldn't say they are playing better than Beckerman when he was in his prime.

15 to 32, DrownedElf, RSLer and 5 others repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2013 Beckerman was the same caliber player who was stellar in WC2014. Next level really. But the partnership is better than anyone who partnered with Beckerman.

11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Also, Borlave were pretty damn good. I have a hard time saying they wouldn’t get minutes over Glad and/or Vera

Sabo would be playing, maybe a rotation thing. I’d play him over Anderson Julio.

Herrera was probably our best RB, but Beltran and Russell might have been better than Brody, although Beltran was dire going forward.

acima, DrownedElf, RoyalNonesuch and 2 others repped this.
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Forgot, Rimando would absolutely be our starting GK.

Morales was great, but he’d be lost on this team and in this system.

I will add, this team is better than any of our former teams 100%.

So, I think:
    • Rimando
    • KB5
    • Sabo
    Would still be starters.

• Borlave would contend mightily for CB minutes.
    • We’ve had better RBs.

RSLer and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  13. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I would straight up swap both Glad and Vera for Borlave. Those guys were better. RB is a no brainer. Love Brody but just looking at the lineup that is the weakest spot.

KB5 of course
    Rimando for sure
    Sabo, hell yea. But Chicho, if he stays, will surpass him more than likely. Sabo is probably the most underrated superstar in MLS history. If he played in LA?
    Javi might struggle a but I think he would find a spot.
    What about Andy Williams? That guy was a witch on the ball.

I think Katranis is the best LB we have had and the only one close is Wingert. That guy had some bite.

I agree this team could really challenge the 2013 team but the 2009/2010/2011 that would be an epic battle.

Fun what its.

14. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicho plays under Sabo, duh.
    Vera brings stuff none of the other CBs, do. Glad and Borchers are pretty similar, to me.

Otherwise the system is so different, not many players are swappable.

Can you make a fake team in FIFA or something and do a simulation?

I don't think the old team stops this one, but I'm not sure how much the current team could slow down the old one.

Ismitje repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I only disagree a little. Olave is one of the best CB's to ever play in MLS. I would take prime Olave over Vera every day of the week and twice on Sunday. He was that good if you ask me.

Glad has not yet come close to the presence that Borchers had. He could but I will be curious to see if he does. He is certainly quicker than Borchers that's for sure. This team is also just beginning to have half the bite that that group possessed. I can still hear some of those Wingert tackles. lol

It would be fun to see those two teams go at it that's for sure. You don't want to over sell the memory and underestimate the present but that team that only gave up 20 goals in a season would be tough to beat. They would also use and abuse Brody like no other. Criminal charges would have to be filed.

It's nice to have two great teams to finally compare to each other. Should not have taken this long but excited nonetheless.

Med_Phys repped this.
  16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the CB’s, Borlave had Rimando directing them. That was a huge advantage. There’s not much difference between the two pair imo in terms of effectiveness although Vera’s left foot gives him a slight edge over Olave offensively. I will note that we never say “He got Vera’d” about opposing players.

17. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya but Olave never ever did the heavy lifting Vera did a few weeks ago

Allez RSL repped this.
  18. Ender16

Ender16 Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Javi would straight up dominate. His creativity would pair very well. You don't think he would beat out Crooks? What are you smoking???

19. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    They would have to change how the team plays.

Right now we play 2 DMs. We’d have to drop 1 to make Javi work.

I think that prime Javi is my favorite RSL player, but the team was built around him. If we played a 3-5-2, then definitely.

Med_Phys repped this.
  20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Javi would do just fine in the same spot in our system.

I think their 2nd point is crazy talk though. Ruiz and Eneli would be a fearsome duo. The only real question I have is if Ruiz can come back at the level he was. 2x knee injuries is rough.

21. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team was built around Ruiz, they were supposedly getting ready to sell him.
    The team now?
    You can't play him in Crooks' spot and you can't necessarily play him over Ojeda or Eneli. I'm not sure how he fits, either.
    I think you have to hope for an offer you can't refuse for Ojeda or Eneli.

rslfanboy repped this.
  22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect this in the offseason.

23. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda a bummer when success is seen as winning and also in losing great players. I do understand the nature of the game but after watching players like Luna and Eneli develop in SLC seeing them go will suck.

evilradar, DrownedElf, KendaReal and 3 others repped this.
  24. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll need a Leagues Cup thread soon. Looking at the groups and bracket, winning the group and even a couple knockout round matches (setting up a likely CA match) seems very doable.
    I want to see trophies, so I can't say I want the team to not succeed in that tournament.

Secondary window opens 7/18, right before the last match before the Leagues Cup break and closes 8/14, before MLS play resumes.

Of note, there are only 9 MLS games left for RSL after Leagues Cup, 8 of which are played over ~43 days with the last 6 of those 8 being only over ~22 days. 2 international breaks really make for an odd schedule.

Ismitje and Allez RSL repped this.
  25. ElBurrito

ElBurrito Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Feb 1, 2019
    Sandy, Utah
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Chico not win goal of the week?