RSL 2022 In-Season News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 27, 2022.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #276 15 to 32, Jun 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    The young guys that are still academy age eligible are playing in academy games. So this isn't their only game experience. If it was, that would be more of a concern.

I also am not saying there should be a rule of zero MLS contract guys. That's dumb. But it also is dumb that guys like Kei are on MLS contracts if they are that far from actually being on the first team. I'd find it comical if a rule was implemented and, because of the way Fall has decided to structure the roster, we had this glut of players that could either play MLS games or Academy games, but not really play Monarchs games because of the roster rules.

goobx1 and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how the big news about MLS broadcast rights going to Apple on a ten year deal will impact what I think is a quality announcing team like we have at RSL.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/apple/

rslfanboy repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m guessing this means the end of the RSL broadcasts on KMYU locally.

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Probably. But do they hire the same crews to do the PBP, or do they only pay for one set per game, and the locals can just GFY?

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #280 15 to 32, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  6. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting for all the details. I pay for ESPN+ just to watch RSL games. I don't have Apple TV+. I'm annoyed in general that streaming is becoming everything we hated about cable and in some ways, worse.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  7. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    As I understand it you won’t need to subscribe to AppleTV+. You’ll just need to subscribe to the MLS channel. So your MLS subscription can just replace ESPN+ and nothing changes, except you’ll also have access to any games on National TV.

It’s basically the old MLSLive service except no blackouts and National TV blackouts.

Allez RSL and Ismitje repped this.
  8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it going to be a separate fee then? I already have Apple TV+ since it's only $5/mo and has some quality content. Although as with most subscriptions, I tend to cancel and renew as I get caught up on shows.

Allez RSL repped this.
  9. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Yes it will be an extra fee if you want to be guaranteed to see every game (including a guarantee that you can see every RSL game). If you just subscribe to AppleTV+ (e.g. to watch Ted Lasso), you will have access to “a broad selection” of MLS games but not necessarily everything. If you subscribe to nothing, it sounds like you will still be able to watch some games but I’m guessing 1-2 a week max that Apple/MLS chooses.

So if you subscribe to:

MLS channel AND AppleTV+: All MLS games and Ted Lasso

Just AppleTV+: Many MLS games and Ted Lasso

Just MLS channel: All MLS games, no Ted Lasso

Nothing: A few MLS games, no Ted Lasso

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see you in the forum again!

rslfanboy repped this.
  11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested to see the pricing structure. Apple TV+ is $5 per month but is not required to access the MLS streaming service. But with the deal being $2.5 billion over 10 years, I don't think the subscription is going to be cheap. Are we looking at pricing similar to ESPN+? MLS Live? Or are we going to see pricing similar to MLS Ticket on Direct TV?

Allez RSL repped this.
  12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I'm withholding any judgement about the new tv deal until I see what it all entails. If I can ditch ESPN+ which I only really use to watch the few EFL games that are there then that works for me.

I certainly can't imagine Dunny not being part of the MLS game day game calling universe. He's just too good although I think he could talk just a little bit less some times. But that's just me.

I wonder if this was pretty much decided long ago that there would be no more local broadcast options. Thus DLH pulling the plug on letting the guys travel to the games.

Hopefully this is going to be quality because the KMYU broadcast, even with the guys pretty much calling the game from somebodies living room, is really good.

Allez RSL, DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah the price point has to be nailed down and be right
    there will be games that you can access via apple tv without a subscription of any kind but, lets be honest, RSL isn't likely to be the club they dangle as a cherry to get people to buy a subscription.

I have the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ package (with live tv on Hulu) and LOVE it. I was hesitant to cut the cord but have only had good things to say about it since doing it. The problem now is there are so many streaming options, but the content tends to back the price, otherwise the service dies.

I really like the idea of a centralized broadcast partner for consistency on time and the ability to access games without going through different channels. I hate the way this league has absolutely no consistency. NFL games are set on Sundays with the Thursday and Monday game possibly being an hour or two different based on time zone. MLS? Who the ******** knows

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league told each of the clubs their deals all had to end simultaneously for the league to negotiate a deal. DLH, being the businessman he is, viewed keeping broadcasting as it was as an unnecessary cost for the next few years. I can't say I blame him too much from his perspective. What is the pay off?

I really enjoy ESPN+, like I said above, but it has to do with the overlap of other sports/teams I enjoy watching that they include and the package with my DIsney overlord.

15. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I think this is going to come at the cost of having in-person commentators (Not that we've had that for a bit anyways). There's just no way MLS sends commentators to each game. They're going to have the same 10 or so commentators that are just going to rotate through games. When the broadcast for their current game ends they're going to start commentating on the next upcoming game that day.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, maybe
    the number that has been floated around of the amount of commentating teams (not individuals, but teams) is right around how many games should happen in a weekend.

17. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Well that's promising then

18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the additional fee isn't too bad then. I'll hold judgement until it's announced.

I could see them doing something like $5+5 for Apple TV + MLS, or $7ish for just MLS. Or any kind of combo that makes it more enticing to do the TV+MLS combo. Gets more money coming in, while potentially more long term customers when they check out the TV offerings

19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s my understanding that season ticket holders will receive free access to the MLS games. I’m not sure if that includes the entire Apple service or not.

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy "Mendez" scored two in his debut for Guatemala:

[​IMG]

The article writer knows how last name protocols work for many people, but the headline writer and photo captioner clearly does not.

rslfanboy repped this.
  22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Now, that's funny.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

23. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    So the new MLS Apple TV deal I guess I'll have to find something else to complain about instead of the KSL app.

Oh well.

I'm sure I can find something.

JLaw repped this.
  24. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'll stream ksl news every now and then just to keep complaining, because it has to be the worst app of all time.

goobx1 repped this.
  25. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a separate sub because Apple takes ~30% of every digital purchase - so MLS is paying a pretty meaningful premium. That may well have been negotiated down, but that's their default policy.