RSL 2020 Coronavirus Weekend 2: The New England Revolution

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 18, 2020.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today the Vet had to put down our 22 year old cat. F*** 2020.

goobx1 repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twenty-two! That's amazing. And that's also a big hole in your lives after that long. We don't have pets but recognize the role they play in lots of peoples' lives; best wishes.

RSLer repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was around for almost all of my kids’ lives. One doesn’t get to say that often about a shelter rescue cat.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its less than the 100-200K that is estimated as a "good outcome" from this current strain.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this shit sucks man. I'm really sorry. Go cry it out. I bawled on my parents porch when my dog died as a teenager. It helped me get out just how much that dumb dog meant to me.

RSLer repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It got dusty in there.

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was referring to seasonal influenza and the vaccination rates. Is the current one projected to kill 100-200k?

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the numbers I heard for a U.S. "good scenario" death number for Covid-19. Sorry, I just said that without any sort of reference.

That's horrifying when you say it out loud. Yeah, the US might lose essentially the population of Salt Lake City, and it'll be a good scenario. Jesus ********ing Christ. ******** this virus.

RSLer repped this.
  9. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    #84 kirsoccer, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    We're about 2 week out from what experts are expecting to be 2,500+ deaths a day for at least a two week period - that means approx 35,000 deaths on top of the 5,000 already reported, and probably another 25K (my guess) at least in the next couple of weeks. It sounds like that's a given, and for the most part unavoidable. What happens beyond that apparently has a lot of variables including how each of us conduct ourselves.

This means we could close the month of April with over 65,000 American deaths from this.

Updated: as my wife corrected me

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Reminiscing on this data from the 1st of April which was pointing to 65K US deaths by the end of the month (after only 5K to that point). That's what my model, and the experts models were showing. Seemed a bit surreal at the time, but it looks like we're right on target for that, unfortunately. Still a bit surreal. New models, according to local medical experts show that Utah should expect a two-pronged surge - first in early June and the 2nd portion in mid-July. I don't have the details (wife is a nurse manager and gets frequent updates on this stuff), but would like to encourage of each of us not to let our guard down too much. I'm hoping that a "surge" by local standards isn't anything near the loss of life that's been seen elsewhere. Stay safe.

Note: spike in US deaths shown on Apr 15 is actually a retro correction with the data of deaths attributed to Covid.

upload_2020-4-25_23-52-51.png

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spent much of Friday and Saturday just shaking my head at people. The weather was nice so I drove around a bit. I stopped in a few parking lots just to see how people were social distancing and wearing masks. I was very disappointed. Tons of people were going in and out of stores without masks. Some stores mandate distancing in the outside waiting lines though. Outside at a Home Depot parking lot people were not being very careful about distancing. My wife went to the downtown Smith’s Friday after work. She said it wasn’t busy, but 3/4 of the customers were not wearing masks.

My wife is a nurse manager too. Her hospital had begun the planning process to restart elective surgeries. Last week they shelved it because their COVID case occupancy is still rising. They are now concerned they might reach the feared over-burden point.

13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    #88 rslfanboy, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    I'm hearing that the number is likely much higher, even close to 100,000k now, due to under reporting. I haven't seen, but it would be interesting to look at average total deaths over the last few years for the months of March&April, and compare to this year. That would capture everything, and give us a sense of what the effect CV-19 has had.

RSLer repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked the CDC monthly mortality data several weeks ago. They only recently posted the March 2019 mortality numbers. Everything prior to that is available. They won’t post March 2020 numbers until March 2021. The sad truth about the number of cases, number of deaths, etc. will not be known for a while. Some of it will take retrospective studies to determine.

rslfanboy repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    until it directly effects them, a lot of people don't realize how serious a situation is. I went on a fishing trip this weekend and did my very best to distance and be smart, but you can't control others. Which brought me to the thought of maybe I shouldn't have gone. It was certainly the lower risk option. But my mental health needed out of this house/part of town. If I get it I'll live with a lot of regret and fear, but I also know I'm in a much better place emotionally having gone.

I'd also be slow to judge people on first glance, as well. There is no excuse for not being 6 feet away from strangers, or wearing a mask in public places like that; but I've seen the reaction to people going to parks as a bit over the top. The human body needs exercise and the outdoors, otherwise we're weakening our immune systems and making the possibility of this virus doing serious damage even worse.

I am 100% NOT advocating a herd mentality approach. I do think Utah, largely, is very lucky to not have density that requires a full blown shelter in place type lock down, though. I really wish Herbert would have issued a state stay at home order like the majority of other states, but we've seemed to do ok, all things considered, without it thus far.

goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Interesting related article and tweet thread about this very topic:

RSLer repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #92 RSLer, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    I read that yesterday. It’s pretty interesting. I had trouble determining if the graphs showed the estimated number of COVID deaths exceeding the official COVID death counts though.

18. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article in the Trib was kind of interesting. I don't think it occurs to a lot of folks that the main reason to wear a mask isn't to prevent the wearer from getting sick; it's to prevent passing the virus from an infected person who isn't exhibiting any symptoms.

19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I think that’s part of the problem. Mindset: “I’m not that worried about COVID even if I do catch it, so I’m not going to wear a mask”, whereas it should be “If I’m infected I could infect up to 5 others, so I’m going to wear a mask”. I contacted the UDOH and recommended they step up their mask education game as the weather gets better. There is some evidence that the virus is spread airborne rather than mostly via respiratory droplets, so joggers huffing and puffing without masks make me uneasy.l (although I realize masks and aerobic exercise don’t mesh well). That’s why I wear a mask outside unless I’m just working in the yard well away from anyone else. If I do any hiking this season I will select wide trails/roads or trails that aren’t heavily used.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a person who regularly runs outside without a mask, what should I do? If I'm on a run where I know I can keep 10 feet from anyone (most of the time people wont be within hundreds of feet) do I need to wear that mask? I genuinely don't know what the answer is here. I had only thought of wearing the mask while going into places like the grocery store. From what I've seen, that was the directive given.

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are following the guidelines. What you describe sounds reasonable to me. I’m in a high risk group so am taking the distancing and prevention measures a step further than the guidelines. Do I wish everybody would consider us high riskers? You bet! Do I realize most don’t? You bet! So in that regard us high riskers have to be smart about this too. If we knowingly place ourselves where we can be exposed, then that’s on us.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CDC has added to the list of COVID-19 symptoms:

15 to 32 repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a part of this exchange I'm not seeing?
    Seattle has a really nice facility, RSL does, LA does, etc

25. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    The two things I can see are they're central in the nation and their covid case count is lower than the ones you mentioned. LA county has 25K confirmed cases, King County has 6500, and Salt Lake County has 2,600. Jackson County, Dallas County, and Orange County have 309, 3200, 1300 cases respectively.