News: RSL 2019 Season News

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic: I recently read "Digital Minimalism" and wondered if that book prompted your exit from social media. I deleted the apps for Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit on Saturday to make those things harder to binge. I deleted dating profiles completely because that was a drain on my time, too. I waited until tonight to read through all of today's BS posts at once, and it feels much more satisfying.

In other news: I did not kill anybody Saturday when I simultaneously started a new health plan as well as the digital detox. And today I magically found time to trim my work inbox from 800 messages to 66.

Paleworm, Allez RSL, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my reasoning was personally driven, though I want to thank you for a new book to read. The stack next to my bed was getting rather slim

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I avoid having any social media on my phone (ok, I have Instagram because those cute cat photos aren't going to search themselves) because it's such a time waster. I only check my personal email once a day and although I have a Facebook account, I have about 20 friends which are almost all family. I try to keep as much of my personal life off my cellphone as possible (no bank apps, no work apps, no store apps, no personal email, etc.) because what happens if I loose my cellphone or it is stolen? Imagine losing your wallet only worse.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allez RSL repped this.
  5. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    We had the third fewest goals and third fewest xG, but were saved by the third-best defense in the league.

Coming into the season that is NOT how I would have anticipated the year would go.

6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When do we start using the old "defense wins championships" adage? :ROFLMAO:

7. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be cross-posted in The Nick Rimando Pre-Retirement Appreciation Thread

El-ahrairah repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we gave up 11 goals over our 6 home games against Western Conference playoff teams. Lets slow our flow here

goobx1, Allez RSL and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A full season of Nedum, and the 2nd half emergence of Glad solidified the CB group. Also there is decent depth there. Kyle took his daily dose of Geritol. He was consistently better than I thought he could be. Everton was a force. The D-Mid depth guys played better than expected too. Rimando was pretty solid, and made the best of his swan song. The early season play of Lennon at RB didn’t work out so great defensively because he got caught too far forward too many times. Putting Herrera there more often paid off. Toia at LB isn’t a great situation. He had very good defensive moments though and the ceiling appears to be fairly high. As a side note, in the last handful of games his offensive performance was noticeably improved.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree with most of this - but Toia is 27. His ceiling at LB, by this time, is where he currently is

RSLer repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s THAT old? I had no idea.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he gets lumped into the "part of the academy" group like he's the same age as Glad and Herrera. He very much isn't. I'm also not sure if Toia's return is more of a criticism of Waibel or Garth/Jason.

RSLer repped this.
  13. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    The team is selling $23 north goal tickets to the Timbers game with the promo SPOOKY. There weren't a whole lot left when I bought mine.

RSLer, Paleworm and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna bet? ;)

The media is considering the Jazz a potential Finals contender. Partially because of the improvements we've made, partially because this is the most wide open Western Conference we've seen in the NBA in possibly decades.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lakers
    Clippers
    Nuggets
    Rockets

That's without mentioning the Warriors and Trailblazers. The Jazz will be lucky to be in the playoffs, in a lot of ways.

acima repped this.
  16. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I think you can largely discount the FCD 4 goal game with a 17th minute red card against Kreilach with that "headbutt". 7 games in the other 5 games sounds better, but I didn't think they played well in really any of them for the full 90. Sea was best of the bunch, and I think the only win.

Allez RSL repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando's retirement reminded m that due to travelling at the time I never updated the RMC stats after the second game. No real changes but Plata did move into sole possession of Salt Lake's goal scoring record with his PK.

Rimando finishes with a .72 GAA and 12 shutouts in his RMC career, both obviously records for any goalkeeper that's played a notable number of matches.

18. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, I forgot that Colorado's going to be on the new keeper market as well. Hope that doesn't drive demand to crazy $ levels.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have Irwin, who's a serviceable MLS keeper. And we have a 16 year old keeper in the Academy who's already playing for Colorado Springs (and winning USL player of the week awards) who I assume is the long-term plan at the position. So I don't think the Rapids will be looking to make a big splash at the position. If we see a chance to upgrade from Irwin, we will, but Irwin can keep the spot warm until Rodriguez is ready to come up from USL to MLS.

RSLer repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait wait wait
    you guys play academy players in your USL team?! Jesus ********ing christ, Monarchs, EVEN THE cRapids HAVE FIGURED THIS SHIT OUT

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky-Bob is an academy player. He got 90 minutes or so.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-10-25_9-59-50.jpeg

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better yet, its technically not even "our" team. Though by all reports the Rapids are running the show for the other owners.

15 to 32 repped this.
  24. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So Rapids are playing academy players in someone else's USL team, and we can't play them on our own team. That makes me feel better...:(

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Maybe it actually helps that they don't manage the USL team. There's no conflict of interest that prevents the Rapids from pushing prospects into significant playing time since they don't care if the USL team is competitive.