RSL 2019-20 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Didn't Sam have offseason surgery? It's very possible he's still working back from that.

2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked like shit yesterday! Hope it is not a indicator of the whole year to come.

3. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, back in November.

4. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I didn't know that, that would explain it, I hope.

5. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    People keep saying that Justin Glad played put of position but am I mistaken when I say that he played right back for most of his time with the USMNT?

Is he going to be the starting RW with Herrera playing starting left wing?

6. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    Honestly, teams pretty much always look like garbage in their first preseason game.

rslfanboy repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, then, we shouldn't be the very last team to start playing preseason games, only two weeks from First Kick?

15 to 32, Ivensor, RSL Wonderbra and 6 others repped this.
  8. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did some digging and it looks like he did play both CB and RB with the under 20's.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IsmitjeSuper Moderator
    Staff Member

#678Feb 8, 2019
    This Pacific Rim Cup game is brutal. Even more so than most preseason games. The carpet there looks like old generation turf.

@Ismitje ’s post from the 2018-2019 Off-season thread. We looked bad in last year’s preseason too. Also we were all wondering why Johnson wasn’t playing against Arizona in a preseason game. Well, he was injured.

Todorojo and wrennywren repped this.
  10. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Pretty sure I remember talk that he would potentially replace Beckerman back before he moved to the first team. So he is probably a bit more dynamic that being just a Centerback. That said, if they plan on having him central this season, he probably should focus on that as it's a position you have to be familiar with your teammates. I wouldn't test a CB on the outside unless I saw them as my #3 back and wanted to see if they could start on the outside.

RSLer repped this.
  11. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    If RSL gets off to a slow start, remember this. Preseason prep is important, for fitness, for team chemistry and for early season readiness. Doesn't really feel like RSL has taken this serious in last couple of years, but this may be the worst case of that. MOST teams started preseason games in Jan, 2 full weeks or more before RSL's first game. AND the average number of games is 6. RSL has 3. Only 1 other team has less than 5.

While I agree that an individual preseason game (and result) isn't the end of the world - HALF of the preparation of your competitors does seem concerning to me. I wish someone could explain the thinking for this.

Hopefully we aren't seeing stories like this again in 2020: https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/05/07/ten-games-into-season/

"But through the first 10 games, Real has accrued only 10 points and sits eighth in the Western Conference table, two spots below the playoff line. The team is 3-6-1, has already lost two games at home and has struggled to put together a full 90 minutes of soccer throughout the season.

If this sounds familiar, it should. The stumble out of the gate fits right in with RSL’s starts the previous two seasons. The team was 4-5-1 at the 10-game mark last season and 2-6-2 in 2017."

ATL – 5, Jan 24th
    CHI – 6, Feb 1st
    CINCI – 7, Jan 25th
    COL – 7, Jan 29th
    CBUS – 8, Jan 24th
    FCD – 9, Jan 29th
    DCU – 6, Jan 28th
    HOU – 5, Feb 5th
    LAFC – 4, Jan 25th
    LAG – 5, Feb 4th
    MIA – 6, Feb 7th
    MUFC – 6, Feb 1st
    MTL – 5, Jan 28th
    NSC – 6, Jan 30th
    NER – 5, Feb 10th
    NYCFC – 5, Jan 15th
    NYRB – 8, Jan 24th
    OCFC – 8, Jan 25th
    PHI – 6, Jan 29th
    PTFC – 6, Feb 1st
    RSL – 3, Feb 15th
    SJE – 5, Feb 3rd
    SSFC – 5, Jan 22nd
    SKC – 5, Feb 1st
    TFC – 6, Feb 8th
    VAN – 6, Jan 28th

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And LAFC, the team with four, will be playing CCL games starting this week (as will NYCFC, Montreal, Seattle, and Atlanta).

RSLer repped this.
  13. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    #713 kirsoccer, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Season preview is up on Garber's website. A couple of interesting points:

1) Pundits have RSL projected 8th to 12th ... in the West. That's not good. But maybe not far off.

2) Projected Starting XI has Damir and Everton holding with Baird and Jeizon on the wings. Anybody really expect that? At least at the beginning of the season I'm still expecting Beckerman in the XI. Hope I'm wrong. Do we expect Jeizon to break starting XI or will we see Meram in that role until Jeizon or another of the young attacking players begins to make their mark?

3) Article laments lack of RSL firepower. I think we were all waiting for that signing this off-season. Where are the goals going to come from? Who do you anticipate leading this team in scoring?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/02/17/2020-season-preview-real-salt-lake

[​IMG]

14. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
  15. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meram isn't on that depth chart... So, yeah, they do their homework... Makes it a bit hard to trust anything they say.

RSLer repped this.
  16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, it does say the last update was Feb 10th, and we signed Meram on the 11th, so it makes sense he's not listed.

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hell can RSL be "loaded" but only be projected to be 8th to 12th? I guess, to him, "loaded" doesn't mean "loaded with talent" but "loaded" like your baked potato at Applebee's.

acima and evilradar repped this.
  18. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Loaded like, we can play 2 to 4 players at any position. In that sense though I would say most teams are loaded.

acima repped this.
  19. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I know none of these "pundits" thought we deserved to be in 3rd last season, but to drop from 3rd to 12... damn.

20. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Savarino is worth 9 spots in the Western Conference I guess. Unless they think the tactical brilliance of Petke made the difference last season.

Allez RSL repped this.
  21. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Probably has less to do with this and more to do with the massive signings the west has seen this offseason.

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we ever sign Rossi?

RSLer repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. And I don’t think we will.

24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he plays in at least 30 games I expect Johnson to get the most goals. Otherwise, Damir. But regardless, I don’t expect us to be particularly dangerous in attack.

I absolutely agree with you that KB will start in the early season.

25. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I would have liked to see him join the club. The upside seems worth the gamble.