Rozenthal leaving?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, Dec 27, 2006.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Over on Matchnight, an Israeli fan says that Seb is joining his team (Maccabi Petah-Tiqva) next week when the transfer window opens.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Will we get a transfer fee?

2. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where in Europe did Bisaku end up going?

3. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck trying to find anything on the web, the closest I came was a roster and blurb about their roster being bigger than their fan base.

So the transfer fee was probably a can of Rogaine which the Crew will give to Seb as a parting gift.

4. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
  5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

A transfer fee? Sure.

6. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    A years supply of Latke's to be served at Crew concession stands with the Chilean Sea Bass fish taco's that we are getting for Gonzo.

7. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw $1 Brats!

8. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Well, we're four days into the European transfer window and nothing yet...

9. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping against hope that he stays.

10. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Apparently all that is left is for him to be granted his Israeli citizenship.

From JC. com:

FOOTBALL — Former Glasgow Rangers striker Sebastian Rozental has joined Israeli outfit Maccabi Petach Tikvah. The 30-year-old Chilean international has agreed a six-month contract with Maccabi and hopes to make aliyah. “I have a strong Jewish identity and always planned to end my career in Israel,” he said.

11. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we can chalk this up to the organization's continued ability to squander away the talents of skilled play-making central midfielders.

Please file under Perez, John Wilmar.

13. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Huh?

Does it also show the ability of EVERY OTHER CLUB IN THE WORLD to let a "skilled play-making central midfielder" get away from them?

How could Real Madrid let such a talented playmaker get away? Surely Manchester United was bidding for his services, too? That Israeli club must have beat all the offers.

You guys like to pretend this guy was Ronaldinho Jr., but the facts refute that.

14. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facts have no place here...

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa there, compadre. Get ahold of those horses.

I don't think anyone has suggested that he is THE MOST BRILLIANT FOOTBALLER ON THE PLANET or even THE GREATEST, MOST CREATIVE BALL WIZARD WHO EVER LIVED, which is what you seem to be accusing people of here.

Building up a straw man and then whacking it around a bit doesn't really make for a solid argument or even a halfway decent discussion.

By MLS standards, and certainly by Crew standards, he has skills and vision and touch that are not common. Name me someone on the Crew currently who has his one-touch passing ability and field saavy and downfield vision and, yes, creativity. Just one will do.

If you could not see that last year, as even the idiot announcers always did let aone someone with sense, then you just weren't paying attention. Yes, he had some physical limitations, and yes MLS is a run-and-gun league that plays bang-the-ball downfield most of the time and no he certainly is a defensive liability who you have to provide cover for and all of that.

But as a creative center mid, which is what you are jumping the poster for saying, Rozy was the best on the team lat year and one of the best in the league.

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    What Bill said...

Rozental's biggest problem was that mentally he was a step ahead of the callow youth he was playing with. Too often, he was playing good balls into places where experienced players should have been, and where our players weren't.

17. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I wish I had seen more of him and Virtuoso on the field together.. those two would have linked up, Virtuoso seems to have a good head for the game...

18. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    He was one of the best in the league, but he's going to play in Israel now? If the guy really was better than many of the center mids in the league, don't you think they would have, ya know, make an offer to get him onto their team? I'm sure a fourth round supplemental draft pick would have done the trick.

He made a few good passes, scored a goal against Everton, and that's about it. I wish him all the best, but he clearly didn't have the physical conditioning and durability to be worth even $30,000 of the salary cap in this league. Best of luck to him in the future.

The guys we have will be more effective than Rozental could have been in 2007.