Royston Drenthe Is Going To End Up Like Eto'o?!

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Anon., Jan 4, 2008.

1. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Title speaks for itself really; does anyone feel that we're just not going to exploit his potential talent and end up selling him to a rival where he'll run riot!...

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He is only 20 years old. Plenty of 20 years old sat on the bench everywhere in the world. So what is the big deal? If we groom him right, he will come back to the team in 2 to 3 years.

But having said that, we already have two of the best young left wingers, Robben and Robinho, sitting in his position. He is in a more difficult position than Eto'o cracking the lineup against Ronaldo & Raul. Robben is probably ion the same boat. He won't take Robinho's place on the team.

3. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There's nothing wrong with him sitting on the bench, I'm not disputing that! But the fact is that it is looking likely that he'll leave in the summer...

4. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Wow talk about overreacting! Drenthe isn't going anywhere, I am sure his time will come although I admit it's disappointing to see him not even making the squad for the Cup.

Has Drenthe ever played on the right? as Goat mentioned we have an abudance of gifted players that can play on the left Robinho, Robben, Sneijder, Baptista etc. maybe a switch to the other flank would do him some good? if Higuain can adapt to the position I am sure Drenthe could.

5. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Where does that fact come from? I haven't read/heard anything along those lines.

6. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Or perhaps he can adapt to central midfield? He has all the right attributes to succeed there.

7. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's a very interesting point, considering that he likes to cut in a lot and has one hell of a shot!

I'm a big fan of his, I really think with his skill set he could cause havoc in La Liga, he has the right balance between flair and physicality, add to that his determination and work-rate, and you've got one mean machine! I think Schuster is a very good manager to look after him, he had similar traits to Drenthe back in the day.

8. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Exactly!
    I think Drenthe will have a hard time getting a spot on the left side. At LB we have Heinze, who will leave in a few seasons but his exit is too far away to really provide an opening for Drenthe there IMO and Marcelo, who certainly has the upper hand over Drenthe as the young, new, upcoming LB. At LW we have Robben and Robinho, who are both young and both will start over Drenthe. Robben is injured a lot, which could be Drenthe's window, but Schuster's reluctance to play Robinho on the right as his original plan, will cause him to choose Robinho over Drenthe on the left should Robben be out injured. Drenthe has not been good enough to gain Schuster's trust on the left and link him up with Robinho on the right. That's probably related to Schuster's unwillingness to break up the pairing between Ruud and Raúl.
    So to sum it up, I don't see Drenthe's future on the left looking all that bright. I think he needs to adapt to a new role, whether that is on the right or in central midfield.

9. zizou555

zizou555 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2007
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Isn't Robinho being played as a striker?
    he is a third striker,so he might just replace Raul or Rudd,giving the left wing to Arjen.

Anyway,such a young,inexperienced player in a new league will never get starts,he will get small chances until he proves himself worthy of a start.

I m concerned by the lack of time he is given,give him 20 min in Raul s place when we are cruising to a win.

He has a Huge talent,and Schuster doesn't seem as a coach who kills off his players and stops their progress,just look at guti and robinho.
    They were rebels that didn't play up to their potential and they flourished .

As for him going Away that will make Peja look stupid so he wont do it ,and the guy hasn't shown anything bad yet,he is 20 and a great prospect give him time.
    I read they planed to loan him to Fiorentina?Any one heard something similar?

10. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yup, I'm hearing that they want to loan him out aswell, Fiorentina and Feyenoord have been mentioned. But the question is whether he will go on loan now until the end of the season or at the end of the season for a whole year?...

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think it's wrong to make this a topic of it's own, with such a dramatic title to top it off.

If by 'end up like Eto'o, you mean Drenthe becoming crybaby that loves public attention, always blames everybody but himself, making himself the victim of every situation he's involved in, then no, I'm sure Royston is better than that.

12. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    hah! awesome:D

13. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We can just send him on loan for a season or two. The left wing position should be thinner. I seriously doubt that Robben and Robinho can stay on the same team for long. Either of them are too good to be a bench warmer. If Schuster does not know how to play them on the same field and to play them well, we can see one of them, likely Robben, leaving this summer. We learned from Figo/Beckham situation that we cannot just throw two wingers onto the same field.

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Obviously great striker, but what a big girls blouse.Everything Eto'o was involved in last season was the most "hollywood" thing to happen in football, his loudmouth interview out in public[Rocky], then the public making up with Mr.'training is for losers', where only the freakin' background music with the violins playing was missing[Titanic].

If Drenthe becomes anything like him in terms of off field personality and media approach, i hope he doesn't get more playing time than Raul Bravo did.

I like Drenthe.I hope he becomes a useful player for the team, and gets his chance to shine.

15. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Stupid thread.

16. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Stupid comment...

17. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't that his position at Feyenoord last year?

18. zizou555

zizou555 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 4, 2007
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No his position was left wing-back and then in the end he played a bit more as a winger,in the under 21 championship he was a left winger and his team s main threat.
    The kid is so talented that he could play anywhere in offense,his defense is said to be lacking,and real are working on improving that.

The kid is a fabulous talent and i hope we don't waste that!

19. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    This comparison fails on several fronts.

1) Drenthe is not showing anything. Eto'o had monster seasons with Mallorca. The fact that Drenthe will "run riot" for someone else is much more questionable than in Eto'o's case.
    2) Eto'o was sold for a honking lot of money for a massive profit. Right now we would be very hard-pressed to recoup our investment on Drenthe. The incentives to sell are much smaller.
    3) Eto'o left on technicalities (exhausted loan eligibility, not enough non-EU spots). Again, these incentives are not present for Drenthe.

I'm very tempted to close this thread. Since Drenthe has not played since September, any evaluation of his abilities will be a re-hash of what we discussed this summer when we signed him. I've heard no serious rumours about an exit for him (even the non-serious ones are just about loans).

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Both of summed it quite nicely. Drenthe has La Liga star written all over him, but he must be patient. If in a yr or 2, he is soooo antsy to leave and be the man on a lesser side, fine. But I think he wants to be at Madrid and be part of something new and growing for years to come...this of course, is merely a gut instinct of mine.
    I'm probably pullin it out of my @ss...lol.

21. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    The best way to deal with temptation is to give in to it.;)

22. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Best way to deal with temptation is to sell Drenthe to Barcelona, and have a laugh for the coming years untill THEY decide to sell him off as well.

Ahh yes, nicotine is flowing through my body once again.

Please keep this thread open. :D

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It will be tough. This team is young and talented. Somebody got to give away. It will be Drenthe or someone else. For him to be a star here, he needs Robinho to turn into another fat "Ronaldo/Ronaldinho/Adriano", or Marcelo and Torres to become a bust. I already take Robben out of equation. Drenthe can switch to central midfield, but he still has to see if Baptista, Gago and Sneijder suck. Or he can develope his defensive skills and try his luck against Diarra in the defensive midfield slot. At 26, Diarra is an old man on this team. He might have some luck there. He can also go right. But the rightback spot should belong to Ramos for the next 10 years. And we will likely to buy a new right winger(if we cannot convert Robben) and he will be another young and talented player. Where else can he play? CB? forward????? So I think the failed guy will be Drenthe.

24. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am out of town, and late to the party on this, but I was very suprised he wasn't included in the Copa Del Rey squad list. Many have said Schuster may be protecting him, and I think that is exactly what he is doing.Now, if he would've had blowout performances in the few times we've seen him, he'd be playing a greater role. But, he played fair (I've felt many have been waaayy to hard on him in his few minute son the pitch) and now its time to take a step back and allow him to further adjust, and let some of the pressure from being a big summer signing to fade away. If folks have lower expectations, they'll be more likely to be impressed if he starts to show his talent like most of us think he will. I just hope like most of you, that he remains patient and sees the bigger picture, and also that RM take care of him and give him chances when its reasonable to do so.

I really want Drenthe, Higuain, and Gago to succeed, to show mgmt that their new plan of integrating younger talents with seasoned vets is a smart way to go.

25. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nope, it is a stupid thread. Making a big deal just because ONE of our many youngsters isn't getting much playtime and making comparisons to the Eto'o history is stupid. You as the original poster posted nothing constructive. Add to that the dramatic thread name...

Are you going to open threads about Higuain, Gago, Marcelo and many others?