Rowan U Stadium Project (Details & Images)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by The Greatest, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right on the home page:
    Major League Soccer Announces Rowan as Potential Site of Future Stadium...read more

potential ... future ... translation: believe it when you see it.

2. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the rendering there is a "proposed lightrail station". I would assume that would be an extension of the PATCO Riverline.

3. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's Concords stadium coming along?

4. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    What, no covered stands? This is an outrage!!

5. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the possibility of a stadium in...

...Glassboro. :confused:

6. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    The stadium looks pretty cool, but it seems that the drawing has "American" football sight lines, not soccer.

Of course, IF it gets built, then the plans for the stadium could change a lot between now and any possible end date.

7. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    No horseshoe design!

8. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    the stadium looks like a football stadium...its being built for footbool purposes...even a football player said that its a good thing....:eek:

9. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't bust a nugget over the horseshoe or any stadium design. This shows no specific detail for the stadium but the develoopment as a whole. But I agree the horseshoe design need not apply...

10. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The website says they want a HDC type of design, so I assume that artists rendering is made to be as ambigous as possible and you should expect something more HDCish.

11. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe they could just use the small stadium to the left.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how in the artist rendering the little football stadium next to the soccer stadium appears to have more roof covering than the entire soccer stadium. But at least the president of the university did say that the renderings are not to be considered the plan, so conceivably if by any chance this were to gain an investor and go through, the stadium design would be much different.

13. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shows you the confidence level of MLS fans :)

14. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Major League Soccer Announces Rowan as Potential Site of Future Stadium.

Yes, and certain sci-fi films would have us believe that we'll soon be dressing in unisex jumpsuits and zipping through the skies in our flying cars.

In the year 2525...

:rolleyes:

15. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

In 2525, the area will be known as the Rowan-Philadelphia Metropolitan Area.
    ;)

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Other than the one parking structure, not a whole lot of places to put all those cars that will be making the reportedly daring trip out of Pennslyvania into the wilds of New Jersey.

17. Ubiquitous One

Ubiquitous One New Member

Aug 4, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the main road (55) that one sees in the lefthand part of the page, I have yet to ever encounter heavy traffic on it, though others say that they have; the closer the stadium is to 55, the more convenient this will be for those travelling from the north and west, including me.

The brick bottom of the stadium drawing reminds me of Bridgeview, but without the rest of the amenities. It would be nice if the enclosure/mini roof stretched farther on the east side, and I'd like to see one built on the west side, too. Of course, I'm still stoked merely to have a team in the works here in South Jersey!

18. Ubiquitous One

Ubiquitous One New Member

Aug 4, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, according to the website:
    "And the complex would be accessible if plans progress to extend the PATCO line along the Route 55 corridor."

I had thought that this may be a light rail extension of the current riverline, which runs from Trenton to Camden, but it isn't. If the PATCO expansion happens -- and look for local politicians to push for it in support of Rowan/MLS -- the public ride from Philly should be rather quick. From 8th and Market in Philly to my South Jersey town (Haddonfield) is a mere 10-15 minutes, and that is ten miles away. If the extension is built, I'm estimating that a ride from Philly would only take about 30 minutes or so; riding from Camden County in South Jersey, where much of this team's fanbase will be from, would be even shorter.

19. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wouldn't even bother analysing the images other than placement of buildings. It's just an artists' rendition. It likely bears about 1% similarity to what the final design would be; whoever they hired just drew what he thought of as a stadium.

20. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Nice btw where's the carpark.....

[​IMG]

21. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate the half assed attempt at the soccer stadium rendering. It looks like the Rosebowl with a second level and WAY too American football for my taste. If they want a real soccer stadium they have to go HDC or even more Euro. I don't want more Dallas stadiums in MLS than I have to take, I like roofs, thank GOD for Chicago opening soon!!!

22. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would significant numbers from Philadelphia drive out to games?

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    from the .pdf file at the site:

----------------
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    March 20, 2006 (856) 256-4236

Major League Soccer Announces Rowan as Potential Site of Future Stadium

Major League Soccer Chief Operating Officer Mark Abbott and Rowan University President Dr. Donald Farish today announced an agreement that potentially will bring an MLS professional soccer team to South Jersey by 2009.

The agreement gives Rowan excusive rights for 120 days to develop plans for a stadium that would serve as home for an MLS team beginning in 2009. That initiative will help the University proceed with its expansion plans for its West Campus at Rt. 55 and Rt. 322 in Harrison Township and Glassboro.

The Rowan West project will be a public/private partnership that also will include student housing and athletic fields for Rowan University, retail outlets and dining establishments. Expected to be Gloucester County’s largest mixed-use commercial and residential construction ever, the project will enable the University to free up space on the main campus in Glassboro for academic buildings, expand its program offerings and accept more students. The Rowan West project also will provide facilities for South Jersey high school athletic competitions, playoffs and championships; serve as a site for conventions and other events; and create new jobs in the region.

“This is a major step for South Jersey, and Rowan University is thrilled to be a part of Major League Soccer’s family and all it can mean for—and bring to—our area,” Farish said. “We expect the Rowan West project to impact the region’s economy, bring in new ratables, create new jobs and significantly transform the University.”

MLS Commissioner Don Garber believes the tie to Rowan will be mutually beneficial.

“Major League Soccer is pleased to have entered into an exclusive negotiating period with Rowan University as the potential site of a soccer-specific stadium and an MLS team,” Garber said.
    “We are excited both by the possibility of helping Rowan extend its educational opportunities and by the prospect of having a new stadium ready for an MLS team as early as 2009. While we recognize that much work needs to be done, this is an encouraging first step in the process toward bringing first-class professional soccer to the area.”

The MLS/Rowan agreement requires the University to present a plan for the site that includes a developer and a funding package within 120 days. Funding for the project will depend on the developer chosen. Rowan plans to issue a request for proposals for potential developers shortly.

For more information about the project, visit www.rowan.edu/rowanwest.
    --------------

and from: http://www.rowan.edu/rowanwest/about.html

----------
    What’s next
    Rowan University has 120 days—until the end of June—to partner with a developer to move the project forward and submit a proposal. Interested developers needing more information about the request for proposals should contact Elaine McCloy at (856)256-4125.
    ---------

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I think that's supposed to be the field hockey pitch.

There appears to be a generous strafing of soccer fields at Rowan West -- but I guarantee you those'll be condos in 20 years ... look at what they had to do at Trenton State College ...