Round 8: FC Porto vs Nacional

Discussion in 'FC Porto' started by Chacal, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Futebol Clube do Porto vs CD Nacional
    Portuguese League--8th Round
    Estádio do Dragão
    Sunday, October 23, 2011
    18:15

So another important match tomorrow, as fans are upset about Porto's draw with APOEL in the CL. Nacional aren't off to a good start in the league--13th place after 7 rounds--but have played well at Porto in recent years and will have nothing to lose.

Players Called:

GK: Helton & Bracali

DF: Sapunaru, Rolando, Otamendi, Mangala & Alvaro Pereira

MF: Fernando, Belluschi, Guarin, Defour & Moutinho

FW: Hulk, Djalma, Walter, Kleber, Varela & James Rodriguez

Injured: Fucile, Iturbe & Rafa

Technical Decision: Maicon, Souza, Alex Sandro & Cristian Rodriguez

2. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hopefully we'll see more movement in our midfield today. We need a good exhibition to get us rolling. I'll take the points, though. :D

3. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What's up with Hulk's hair?:eek:

4. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Belluschi is looking good so far, nice to see. Hulk keeps getting fouled and not getting the calls...

5. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Defour! Long range shot, deflected into the goal.

Right when we were starting to struggle to create anything...

6. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Walter scores from an offside position. The 2-0 is flattering.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    hahaha, blonde hair doesn't suit him

8. Jolivander

Jolivander Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ends 5-0. Goals scored by Defour, Walter, Sapunaru, Kleber and Hulk.

9. PortoDragons

PortoDragons Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Good result for us! Much needed

10. PdCisGoD

PdCisGoD Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    About as soft a 5-0 victory as you'll see. Our first three goals were a deflection, an non-call offsides, and a rebound. We really couldn't develop any cohesion or flow to our attack. We kept trying these overly optimistic mid to long range through balls to Hulk and Varela, and Nacional kept gobbling them up. Walter's unwillingness or inability to hold the ball forced everyone else to work harder (including overly relying on an isolated Hulk or Varela on the wings). Sapu seemed out of position quite a bit. I thought Alvaro was poor in the first half. A better team would have taken advantage of our instability in the back. Helton, too, felt a little too adventurous with the ball at his feet. On the bright side, I like Defour's effort, vision, and passing skill, and Mangala has serious potential, but he has to learn not to get so fancy handling the ball at the back (one back heel went straight to a Nacional player). Our passing was crisper when Moutinho came on late, but at that point, the result was well in hand anyway. Other interesting notes: Belluschi totally ignored Vitor Pereira's congratulations when he came off. The refs were pretty bad. The main official refused to give anyone a card, even though one was merited on a few occasions. There were also a couple bad offside calls.

Hopefully the victory helps builds confidence going forward.

11. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    A very good recap PdCisGoD.

Regarding Belluschi, it just confirms that there are problems in the boot room.

12. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Excellent recap. Mangala didn't convince me, though.

I also thought we played a more traditional 4-3-3, with the space between Walter and the wingers being wide. Much less of the short passing style that we often saw last year. Belluschi also played deeper than Defour, which was unexpected to me. He did a good job in the beginning but then did his usual disappearing act. He's been disappointing since mid way of last year IMO. Guarin is a shadow of himself, so is Varela.

All in all, the team is not clicking. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this strategy of changing half of the starting team being the best way to address that. I'm very curious to see the starting XI for the next game.

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    nacional was a disgrace, not a surprise since Rui Alves is like another one of PDC's henchmen in the web of corruption that is Portuguese football.

then again FC Porto with some help from the refs and some lucky goals, didnt play well at all but a win is a win and thats all that matters for Porto fans who already proven yet again they are little more than huge bangwagoners by the low attendance in this match.