rough Whitecaps expansion mock/starting 11

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Aug 22, 2010.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wallace+ draft pick < McCarty + allocation

Wallace might be a good player (was anyone on DC besides Najar good?). But no way that trade was good for Portland.

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    You're looking at it without context. Portland already has someone else who can play Dax's position lined up. Getting a starter for him (especially one who's a leftie) isn't a bad deal. I question FCD's inability to trade McCarty more than I question Portland's, as Portland at least got something of value for him.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Portland says they have someone, I hope they do. Otherwise that was a pretty big blunder.

I realize you have angle here, I am just saying that in most people's eyes, most think that Wallace does not in anyway equal McCarty and Portland (and Dallas) should have gotten more for him. DC ends up the winner there.

So anyways, Whitecaps had a nice draft I think and traded away several players I thought they would keep. I think Cannon as a starter with Nolly as backup will serve them well. IF Cannon is healthy. Especially with players like DeMerit up in front of him. It won't be a swiss cheese defense like Seitz and Knighton had to deal with Union this past year.

How well will the players they kept mix with Swiss youth they have been signing?

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver have the #1 draft pick. What number is Toronto, #8?

Yeah that could be good. Sturgis is a super-sub at best. Hopefully Caps will use that #8 for someone much better (or trade it for someone better).

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I would think they could trade that pick for a better player than Sturgis. No offense to him, but that was a helluva reach for TFC.

They could get a good GA out of this draft, but the best candidates are mostly gone by the midpoint of the draft. The senior talent could change that, but I'm not convinced that this draft will be as deep with seniors as it was in past years.

7. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone else notice there has only been one Whitecaps supporters in this thread?

I wonder where Caps fans go to talk about what is happening with their team?

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voyagers forum, but that doesn't help here.

9. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Actually, Caps fans generally chat on the Vancouver Southsiders board, not Voyageurs.

There are only about a dozen regular posters in this forum that are Caps fans. Keep in mind that USL soccer never had a massive following, so it's not like many fans knew enough about the team to search out something like that. I fully expect that to chang ein the next 8-12 months as the team plays out it's first season and gains widespread media coverage. I would think this forum would get a lot more traffic at that point.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stealing this from sidefootsitter's post over in N&A re the #8 picks over the last 7 years in MLS:

It seems like the #8 pick can be a bit of a crapshoot. Ianni's turned into a pretty good player, and who knows how Duka will yet turn out, but besides Dempsey, not exactly a bunch of blue chippers.

TFC may have done okay getting Sturgis out of this one, and of course it remains to be seen what the Whitecaps will do with that pick.

11. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  12. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So Nolly, Knight and Davies were the players signed from the USL squad today. I wonder if those are the only ones coming up or if the club just wanted those three to have the special distinction of being the first to be signed from the USL squad.

13. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    these are the best 3 left unsigned that will have a chance at playing on the first squad-- they already have other players like dunfield and the 2 euro guys signed to contracts

other signings would be for the reserve/residency teams

and others will be released

the caps will have lots to announce about incoming players such as DPs and internationals before the end of january-- i expect only 2-3 from their D 2 team to be on the field at any 1 time; i would like to see a couple of canadians playing in euro come here to play with the caps

if they had have stayed with a lot of their D 2 players, i would be worried that they would be a bad expansion team- but that wont happen

14. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    My totally speculative theory - those three all were in the club prior to the start of the season, thus they were introduced as a group. Rochat, Dunfield, Chiumiento and Akloul all came later, and might be announced differently.