Rottenberg tears her ACL

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by defensewins, Jan 29, 2007.

1. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    "Germany was struck a major blow yesterday in training as starting goalkeeper Silke Rottenberg, long one of the best in the women's game, tore her ACL. It will be a race against time to get healthy for the Women's World Cup. Stephanie Ullrich got her first cap in goal for Germany, but was injured in the 65th minute in a hard collision with a Chinese player and for a moment, without a back-up 'keeper, it looked as Germany might have to put a field player in goal. Ulrich, however, shook off the knock and resumed her post."

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/latest_soccer_news/531786.html

2. welshfan

welshfan Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I read this on her website, she's gonna be operated on Wednesday. I hope she'll be able to make the WC because she's one of the best keeper of the world, if not the best.

3. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Fu***************!!!

Recuperation period generally is between 6 and 12 months - considering that she's not young, her participation in the World Cup is a big question mark.

I hope she's mature enough to not play if she's not at a 100%. Otherwise, I really hope she can get back on her feet quickly enough to be our goalie for the WC.

Major bummer!

4. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    It's going to be pretty tough to be 100% by the world cup. Does anyone have any opinions on the backup keeper?

5. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006

They're good but their not World Class like Rottenberg but then again, who is? This is such BAD NEWS!! The one good thing is that it happened now and the backups can train their a**es off until September.

6. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Nadine Angerer would seemingly be the next choice keeper? She is erratic in dealing with crosses and not nearly as commanding as Rottenberg.
    Ursula Holl, Tessa Rinkes and the girl who found herself in nets in China, Stephanie Ullrich are all in with a shout for making the squad but they just don't have the presence or ability to organise their defence or intimidate opponents like Rottenberg does.

7. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    I wonder why so many female athletes tear their ACL? It seems
    strangely common.

8. RosyBlue

RosyBlue New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I could be wrong, but I think that I remember reading that it has something to do with the angle of the knee in relation to the hip. Since women have wider hips, the angle is a bit different than that of men and unfortunately makes the ACL (and other ligaments) more vulnerable to injury. :(

9. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    "She will undergo surgery in Ludenscheid on Wednesday but may not be fit in time for the finals, which will take place between 10 and 30 September.

World Cup hope
    "Of course this is a bitter blow but I am being optimistic," said the 123-times capped Rottenberg. "I will do everything I can to get back as soon as possible. The World Cup is still my goal." VfL Wolfsburg goalkeeper Stephanie Ullrich deputised for Rottenberg in Sunday's game, impressing coach Silvia Neid. "Stephanie did a good job," she said. "She looked comfortable with the ball."
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/woco/news/kind=1/newsid=501757.html

"female soccer players are four times more likely to experience an ACL tear than their male counterparts. Much research has been conducted to determine why these differences exist, and how these painful injuries can be prevented.

Spero G. Karas, MD, of Emory University, examined the mechanical motion of the trunks and hips of 18 female and 17 male elite soccer players performing certain tasks. The study found that females tend to hold their trunks/hips in a more erect posture during running or jumping maneuvers. This difference may contribute to the increased risk of ACL injury. “Now knowing that the trunk and hip may be an important variable in this problem, we should consider appropriate intervention strategies,” said Dr. Karas. “These would include instructing and training female athletes to perform maneuvers in a less erect posture, stressing the importance of trunk and knee flexion,” said Dr. Karas. Data from anotehr study at the Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, suggested inherent gender differences in elite athletes' ability to reproduce various squatting positions, particularly with regard to more erect posturing. Henry T. Goitz, MD, of the Medical College, led the research effort that compared collegiate soccer players – 33 men versus 33 women.
    “The female athlete was able to reproduce deep squatting positions just as well as their male counterpart; however, women do not stay in these bent-knee positions during sport,” said Dr. Goitz. “This could be that perhaps women fatigue in these positions more easily than men, or perhaps it is just a habit. If either is the case, female athletes should be conditioned to place themselves in a more protective position in sport activities, and, thereby, reduce ligament injury." ... Gender differences were also found in the mechanical motion of the knee. Timothy C. Sell, PhD, PT, of the University of Pittsburgh studied a group of 18 male / 17 female basketball players as they performed lateral jumps (known to cause noncontact ACL injuries). Female athletes were found to bend their knees less and turn them in more than the males, a difference that could be partially responsible for the disparity in the number of ACL injuries." http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/kneepainandinjuries/a/women_acl.htm