Roster

Discussion in 'Portland Thorns FC' started by cpthomas, Feb 20, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I've thought all along that Brooks would eventually want to play with her UNC buddies again (and for Parlow), when the time for her is right on that. I highly doubt that her life-long dream was to play for FC Bayern, ever since she was a young soccer girl, dreaming of playing for FC Bayern over playing for the U.S. national team.

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Ok, so it's still certainly possible that Parlow is an idiot for drafting Ellertson and Brooks, without even talking to them about their true interest in the Thorns.

But I haven't been able to accept that as definite.
    At least one of those two players will end up showing on the Thorns doorstep at some point.
    Portland just can't put them on the roster yet, because there's nothing contractual about it except for a potential handshake commitment up front.

Or ... Parlow was just that ignorant.

It's one or the other.

3. vert2013

vert2013 New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brooks tweeted yesterday that she's going back to Bayern next season. Doubt that they'd let her play NWSL this summer for fear of injury.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Do they have the right to control her decision on that?

2. If this is something that would be negotiated as part of her heading back there next year, would it be in her interest to agree not to play NWSL this summer?

I have no idea on either of these questions. If someone actually knows the answers, what are they?

5. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I don't know the answers. I did tweet her directly to ask her if we would ever see her in a Thorns jersey . . . no answer as yet. (Yeah, it was a long shot.)

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Well, FIFA says you can only have one contract at a time. If she played in the NWSL she would have to be out of contract at Bayern or on loan. Since she isn't an allocation player, I can't see how either would be in her interest. There just isn't enough NWSL money for her or Bayern.

Again, it could be negotiated, but what would make it worth while to Amber or Bayern?

There is almost no money ( that's why she left), so Bayern can't profit by putting her on loan. If she gets hurt out of contract with Bayern, then she is taking all the risk. People only go on loan if they aren't playing where they are and need experience, or a lower club can profit by sending the player up. Neither seems to be the case.

I can't see it happening, unless there is some non-monetary reason for her to be back here that wasn't evident when she left in the first place.

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I looked at the actual tweet
    So.. She isn't out of contract, and "summer break" doesn't sound like she is playing.

She won't be a Thorn this year.

Does anyone know when draft rights expire?

8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds right to me, she apparently won't be a Thorn this year. So, it looks like the Thorns get Libby Guess rather than Brooks. I'm wondering if the Thorns overall may be better off.

9. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the box score for the Portland/Boston game on 7/21, Nikki Washington was not available to play. She did not play in the preceding game against WNY. Anyone know anything about that?

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Her knee has been bothering her most of the season but that's just a guess. I dont recall an explanation being given.

11. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't either, but I don't recall seeing anything about her in the weekly injury report.

12. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, Cindy Cone called Tina Ellertson this past Monday and asked her to play the final phase of the season, indicating that the Thorns needed to add depth at defender. Ellertson felt she could do it, so she was on the game roster and bench for last night's game against Sky Blue. I've noticed that in each of the last two games, Portland has subbed for one of its defenders around the 70 minute mark. With all their games in the current period (5 games in 14 days), it looks like the Thorns are concerned about getting some relief for their defenders and possibly reducing chances for the kinds of defense injuries a lot of other teams have had.

13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Merritt Paulson tweet this morning: "Two new Thorns players, new Thorns head coach and some Timbers stuff this week."

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

As interesting, he promises a twitter q/a this afternoon.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rachel Buehler Van Hollebeke has advised that the name on her shirt henceforth will be Van Hollebeke. Her full name already shows up on the Thorns roster. We'll have to remember it's not Hollebeke and Van Holiday on the WNT.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I think she should have insisted on Beuhler-van Hollebeke.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Perhaps she is hoping to be eligible to play for The Netherlands as well.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    In Latin countries she would of course be van Hollebeke de Beuhler.

19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    not again. why?

are the inlaws continuously carping "what, you don't like our name?"

i just don't get it. when a person has made a name for themselves why surrender it?

but i guess that's for another thread.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Umm, Belgium.

Hollebeke is a Flemish village in the Belgian province of West Vlaanderen, now part of the city of Ypres.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im surprised this didnt happen in 2012. If half of them had gotten married Sundhage could have pointed to her roster and trumpeted all the new names she brought in.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Really...I thought van anything was Dutch

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Kiki Vanderway was born in Weisbaden Germany.

24. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Flemish is pretty much Dutch... it's just Dutch spoken in Belgium. (Before someone complains, yes, there are some small differences, but it is more a dialect than a language. They are mutually intelligible.)

25. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    While his father, who was apparently born in Montréal, was stationed overseas in Germany... so it doesn't prove the name isn't Dutch.