Roster Updates

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Jun 24, 2010.

1. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only problem solved is that Igwe is no longer an option at centerback, which is a plus. The other two didn't see any time so can't see their departure makes any difference except to open roster spots for someone who may be able to help.

When ARod gets waived by Philly we will have a roster spot available for her!

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As you can see, I changed the wording of my question. Maybe there are some plans in the works.

Igwe is a good kid. Like all the Santa Clara players now and former that have played for the CRS. But she had a tough time fitting into Red Stars plans as well. Her play was sporadic.

I wouldn't hold my breath too long on that one. Tony's biggest blunder in the WPS so far, IMO. Didn't give this kid enough time to find her groove. She has found it with another team and I'm sure she's happy. Pia knows A-Rod's worth and potential. There's a reason why she is called up to the USWNT every single time.

3. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can only hope. But it is hard to believe that the moving of these 3 players in and of itself will have any impact one way or the other on this team since they had so little impact while on it.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Also edited my previous post. Sorry.

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STOP DOING THAT LOL :p

6. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    It is obvious that the coach does not know what to do to make the team work and is trying to find a player who can do it for him as he was used to have when taking over the WNT. Otherwise, I can see no other purpose all these in and out with players has to serve. It is no good to the players too and give them little time to develop good understanding with team mates on the field. It is a pitiful affair I must say.

7. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    heh :D. it happens, though rarely i suppose!

Didn't Boston "agree to the terms" or whatever with Enyeart like a week or so ago? I was really looking forward to seeing her in WPS. And will any of these three players be added back as a developmental? It's all very confusing to me.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a general player movement question which, apparently, I'm too lazy to google. What's the drop dead date for roster changes? Last season it was July 1 but the season lasts longer this year so was the date pushed back?

9. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Here is a link to the rules.

10. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that!

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second that thank you.

12. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Dieke played centerback last year every game she didn't have an injury. She was one of there most consistent players last year. She is very, very quick, she recovers really well. Her weakness is her size, other players like Wambach would beat her last year because of that and then there would be absolutely no one to back her up because every other CRS centerback was painfully slow.

This year was a different story. A lot of the early goals scored against CRS were in the vicinity of her fault because she was caught out of position or not marking someone. She went from a strenghth to a liability, but she may have just been having a poor season. It may have also been a chemistry problem like MRAD said, but I think another one of her weaknesses may be she is not the greatest at reading the game at times.

With Markgraf back and Emma gone, Engen, who has the size, got pushed back to her better position in the middle, St. Louis folded giving us Asante as a more complete backup, and Spilger as even more backup if need be. Both Asante and Spilger can also play other positions reasonably well if need be, which for what ever reason I don't remember Dieke ever being asked to do (I could be wrong). Many of us thought she may be pushed to the left because of her speed with Markgraf back, but she never was. Maybe, maybe that says something about her passing, I'm just speculating.

I don't know that much about the Breakers issues since I can't really watch many of there games, but I think if her and LePeilbet have a chemistry and understanding, and LePeilbet's backing her up when she makes a bad read, Dieke may get her confidence back and end up being a good edition.

The above is just how I remember it anyway so take it how you like it. Oh and I believe her nickname is Effy (sp?) or something like that.

13. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    So here is the update I promised to provide on Enyeart once the waiver period passed.

That Enyeart was still drafted 14th overall by the L.A. Sol in January's WPS Draft - despite suffering an ACL injury the month before in her final college game - is a testament to her great talent. We picked her up in the Sol dispersal draft in late January.

In June, she was cleared to return to practice by her personal doctor. We then brought her into Boston to continue rehabbing and begin training with the team. Six months is a long layoff and, while Michelle passed her entrance physical, she still wore a non-contact bib during practice and needed to bring her fitness up to game readiness - as anyone would expect.

After she cleared her physical, however, we were informed by WPS that we had two weeks to sign her or else relinquish her rights. This makes sense to a degree - it would be unfair to hold a player's rights indefinetly with no intention of signing her and prevent her from earning a living and playing elsewhere. On the other hand, we felt we had not been given sufficient time to evaluate her in her current training capacity and weren't enthused about releasing a fully fit player to make room for a player who was not ready to play in a game (regardless of having passed a physical). Ultimately, however, we were compelled to either sign Enyeart or lose her rights, so we signed her on the day of the deadline.

In the course of the next week, as the July 1st deadline loomed and her training ability remained less than 100%, it just became clear that we didn't have the luxury to seal off that roster spot for the year, with a player who had no firm timeline to return to action. As of July 1st, all WPS semi-guaranteed contracts become guaranteed, so we would have needed to commit to Enyeart for the rest of the season, with no reasonable option to waive her. Without ever really having seen her play - or even train at full speed - in the professional environment, we felt that would be tough.

At the end of the day, we signed her under duress and with the desire to buy time to keep evaluating her. But the July 1st deadline meant we ran out of time.

So we very reluctantly waived Enyeart and gave up our rights to a player who likely has a bright future in WPS. She is a player we would continue to be interested in for 2011, but at this point, we would be just one of several suitors that may wish to talk with her in free agency.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Andy Crossley for the info. Much appreciated.

15. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    wow, yeah. Thanks for answering my question; I thought it must be a procedural thing. Hopefully she will be around next season.

16. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be redundant and add my thanks as well. I really like the way that GMs are very responsive and open (within reason of course) to the fans in this league.

17. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Me too. Thanks Andy!

18. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    AROD waived.......Andy or The Legend or both ?

19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy,

Are Chioma Igwe and Tiffany Weimer now development players (they are listed on the league site as not rostered for Sunday's game.

and Enyeart is listed on the SEASON-ENDING INJURY LIST, after Boston waived her and do not have rights to her?

20. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007

Chioma Igwe and Tiffany Weimer are both on the developmental squad and part of the travel party to Philadelphia today.

I don't know why Enyeart is on the season ending injury list. We waived her, she cleared, and now she is a free agent, unless I have missed her signing by another team.

21. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks for the info. Great win!

22. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    I add my congratulations to the Breakers in the recent win also. Hope they have turned the corner for the better.

23. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Is Sarah Walsh close to being back yet? It said on the WPS site she was available to play June 30, but I was wondering if she was still injured.

24. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007

The Breakers placed Sarah on an injury list which allowed her to come back no sooner than June 30th. That is a bureaucratic dateline rather than one which her actual recovery timetable.

She is still in Australia rehabbing under the supervision of her National Team program. She may be available to us before the end of the season, but there is no firm timeline for her return to Boston and to the playing field.

Andy

25. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More good info, thank you Andy!