Roster Updates

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From today's email:

2. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad about Cross, would have been a good local story.

Lineup changes last night, I thought Moore had been playing well at the back, surprised to see her and Phillips sitting. Tarpley I understand, trying to find a the right mix to generate some scoring, not that I think the lack of it is her fault but I understand mixing things up.

3. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Congrats to Fabiana on her first career goal and Del Rio's first assist!

4. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Per AllWhiteKit, Igwe, Weimer, and Enyeart have all been axed by the Breakers. Ch-ch-changes...

5. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Sorry, didn't see the duplicate.)

From Jeff Kassouf's Twitter feed:

"@BostonBreakers waive Michelle Enyeart, Chioma Igwe and Tiffany Weimer. Must be plans to bring new players in."

Didn't they just sign Enyeart? What was the point of that if they're just going to waive her without ever seeing her in a game? i guess it would make sense if there were some transactional rules that required it.

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about this year, but weren't contracts guaranteed on June 30 last year. That might have something with the timing of these roster moves.

7. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the "axing" I was hoping would be announced, but hope they are making room for some impact players, but from where and who could help this team?

The elimination of these players doesn't change much of the look on the field in and of itself. Weimer saw limited minutes in a late sub role, Enyeart never played, Igwe got minutes but no one outside the coaching staff understands why.

8. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Great question mskenny.

I will answer this after the waiver period ends on this transaction.

Andy

9. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    So... can we infer that the purpose of these cuts is not actually to get rid of the three players in question and replace them with new players? Reading between the lines (on twitter, e.g), it seems like it is being hinted that the plan is to bring the players back but with different terms in their respective contracts, such as lower salaries. Or am I way off base with that guess?

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Well, the team had 21 players, and now are down to 18 (with no developmental), since all 18 remaining would be on the roster. Looks like we know who the next Sol and Athletica is in this league. How much longer will the Breakers hang on? Or will the league have to re-do the schedule again to close out the year (perhaps the final year in the WPS, but at least close out the year).

Would the Breakers still be able to have a W-League team?

11. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bit overstated, and not to mention inaccurate. I count 19 on the roster. The Breakers still have 4 developmental players (Bogus, Hemmings, Lipsher, and Marquez.) I don't know if they have to convert these to full roster players right away. It seems likely that at least some (certainly Enyeart if you read between the lines) of the 3 released players might be re-signed once the contract guarantee deadline expires. They did something like this last year, if I remember correctly. I don't think it's time to think these thoughts.

12. futbolreal

futbolreal Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Why can't WPS GMs and coaching staffs have the courage to acknowledge that they are at fault when a team is floundering. The constant releasing/waiving and adding of players is often a mechanism for deflecting attention and fault from themselves and putting the onus on the players.

13. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Yeah, it's like blaming the supporting cast instead of the director and stars when a movie bombs.

Lots of movement of players who've had very limited field opportunities instead of looking at players who've been on the field nearly every minute and not come through. Along those lines, I have to admit I was a bit shocked to read in the Breakers last game story that Fabiana had played in 17 games before getting her first career goal.

Anyone read the story on Arod that is out today? Kinda interesting, especially the "arm around her" stuff.

14. futbolreal

futbolreal Member

Oct 31, 2009

15. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one shoe has dropped. We have a new defender, Dieke Ifeoma, formerly of Chicago. Read more here.

16. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Don't know much about Dieke. What's your take on the addition?

17. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    First thing I am sure about is that her name is in fact Ifeoma Dieke. Well done womensprosoccer.com and well done Breakers on your research.

18. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I think she is a good addition, but do you know how many times I have thought this about other roster changes for this team? So many! It just seems like shuffling players around on the same old chess board. As rosters go, this team has been one of the least stable during each season (not counting the post-Athletica Atlanta overhaul). Mostly perplexing.

19. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Goal.com does show her as Ifeoma Dieke as does Wikipedia. You think they might have gotten that one straightened out.

I would assume Dieke is targeted for central defense. Obviously Tony has, for whatever reason, soured on Moore (unless she's secretly hurt like Weber was last year.)

20. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Wow. How terrible to get the name confused.

I thought it sounded weird to me when I read it on the post here: The Boston Breakers announced the signing of defender Dieke Ifeoma to their full roster today. The defender, who played for the Chicago Red Stars in both 2009 and 2010, was acquired as a free agent.

So she was waived earlier this year by Chicago. Did she play at all for Chicago this year? Has she been trying out for the team for awhile?

21. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps she was waved around the time of Athletica free agency? Can't really remember.

22. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    yeah, she was released when the Red Stars acquired Elise Weber and Nikki Washington from the Athletica fallout. I think she was a starter last season but then had an injury which she only recently came back from (correct me if I'm wrong).

23. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah right... correct someone on BS for being wrong? C'mon... ;)

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From a CRS fan about Ifeoma Dieke. She pretty much started all last season and the first 6 games of this year.
    I thought she was a good, fast and tough defender. However, there always seemed to be some chemistry problems and not all her fault.
    I think with the change of coaches in Chicago and maybe a new philosophy, formation, they wanted to go into another direction and maybe there was no more room for her just like with Brittany Klein.

The new coaching staff, starting with Marcia McDermott right after Emma was let go, put Whitney Engen where she should have been all along, in the middle with Markgraf, Dalmy had solidified the right full back postion and Spilger had won the starting roll on the left back. When hometown girl Elise Weber became available after Athletica folded, that gave the CRS another defender along with Asante and Washington. Dieke was no longer needed.
    Just my opinions.

I think put in the right place with the right people she will be a very good defender for you guys. She's def. fast.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is waiving Michelle Enyeart, Chioma Igwe and Tiffany Weimer only the beginning of change for Boston?

Boston Breakers are a respected organization from everyone I've talked to. I'm sure they will figure it out.