roster news for 2010

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by RUfan, Sep 28, 2009.

1. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    Easy: Sanna Valkonen, well at least according to wikipedia. ;-)

2. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Second hint-she's a mom.

3. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I think it might even be easier to guess without the "clues" ;). I'd love to see Valkonen, the archetypal centre back, playing as a striker though :D. Up front with Landström, the two would make quite the bulldozer.

(Valkonen had 120 caps when she retired from the national team after the EUROs; I get Kalmari's to 119, including the latest WC qualifier. :confused:)

4. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    It's not Valkonen. This player happens to be the all time leading scorer for Finland.

5. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I guess I need to work on my math skills!!!:cool:

6. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    This is fun, like an English pub quiz night! :p Although I do miss just knowing before everyone else instead of guessing.

So its Laura Österberg Kalmari, who played at Portland back in the day.

Sky Blue FC: most mothers in women's professional soccer. Consider that tagline. lol

7. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Thanks-we'll take that under advisement!!! Sky Blue FC-Real Soccer Moms Of NJ!

8. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Doesn't this signing bring the team's international player number to 6 - Asante, Rosana, Francielle, Koster, Landstrom & Osterberg? I must have missed a player being dropped from the roster. Maybe the league should think about updating their transaction page.

9. Mimsy Borogoves

Sep 6, 2009
    The Update: Francielle has been waived.

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anne Makinen has 113 caps. Osterberg 111.

I guess GM Gerry meant most capped striker??

11. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Kalmari actually has 119 due to recent additions to the numbers - Wikipedia is a dicey thing.

12. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    And Mäkinen has 118. Wikipedia is VERY dicey.

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I (and wiki) stand corrected.

14. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Revs fan - you should remember Kalmari - she played in Boston for the Renegades in 2002.

15. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Sounds like Head Coach Miettinen had some input on this one. You're filling out the X-mas list quite nicely Gerry. We can never be accused of robbing the cradle. I am looking forward to a good season.

16. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Thanks-I think?!? The coach had input on ALL the moves. As far as Laura's age-she is 30. Remember-the Europeans start playing pro at much younger ages than our American women. The 22-23 year olds coming out of school for this draft could have 6 years or more of pro experience if the were foreign.

We pick 6th overall in the draft-any advice out there? What do we still need?

17. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I realize the coach is involved with any moves and I was alluding to the fact that she should be quite familar with Laura since they are from the same country. I was also aware of Laura's age and my "robbing the cradle" was meant as a joke. I agree with you're assessment on foreign players after watching so many good ones play this past WPS season. I think you made some nice moves and balanced out the team. Regarding the draft. Whoever you pick keep in mind " there is no substitute for speed and it cannot be taught". Our WNT can attest to this.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, thank you for beginning to post on bigsoccer. From a fan's perspective (and one not geographically near SB), getting information on the team has been difficult over the last year.

As for the college draft and team needs? Well, I think some of that depends upon the style/formation Miettinen wants to use. How will Rosana, Averbuch, and Lloyd coexist in the center of midfield? I'm guessing Rosana will be shifted to forward officially. I also think how a couple of players return from injury/off season surgery cough...Kai...cough impacts the team needs. A report on how Kai's doing would be great :)

Here's what question marks I see (and I haven't kept up all that closely):

What happens to the back 4 when the Euro players (Koster & Asante) are called up? I'm a big Rampone fan but we can hardly expect her to be 90 in fit (and at the top of her game) by May/June. The current list seems to be thin and in need of reinforcement. One injury (knock wood it doesn't happen) and I think it gets sketchy back there.

If my count is right then Lanström, Kai, Rosana, Kalmari, White (perhaps now a left winger given the roster additions), and Hanks are an awful large number of forwards for one team to keep on a roster (and keep happy w/ pt). Alternatively, the defense and utility midfield seems a thin.

19. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Kool-aide - I appreciate the opportunity to talk to everyone on Big Soccer. I think if we are more frequent with information we will build a better fan base. Like all sports teams, we are only as good as our fan support.

I share your concern a bit in the back - until we have Anita and Christie back we are a bit light - which is why we signed Ashleigh Gunning. We also have the number 6 pick in the draft and are looking at that spot.

In the midfield we are deeper than it looks - both Rosana and Kalmari can play in the midfield as well as up top. But we also need to add a player or two through our developmental process to cover us there. I agree we need a utility midfielder.

Up top I think we are in fantastic shape - adding Landstrom to Kai and Hanks gives us three completely different types of forwards, and also covers us in case of call-ups.

As far as Tasha - she is doing very well. She had shoulder surgery that was successful, and rehab is on track. She should be ready for training camp and I expect her top have a breakout season. Her injuries have kept her out of the national team and she wants to get back in. To do that it will have to show on the field.

Overall I think we have dramatically improved our team and going into 2010 feel confident we will be able to compete across the board. Moreover, we are able to create a competitive situation in practice to fight for time - and that makes teams better. Figuring out how all the pieces fit together and work the best is up to Pauliina - who officially landed in the states yesterday is already busy at work.

Thanks for following us.

Gerry

20. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I gotta say that it is pretty nice that you keep us all up to date. A lot of international allocations have been kept quiet from teams and there is just no news and it's a little irritating but you at least keep us up to date on team news which is definitely a good way to adding a good base. I also would say defense is the main key, your attacking 3 up front are extremely solid. I'm assuming your looking at Whitney Engen from UNC in the defensive end. I think it's pretty clear that cheney, O'Hara, Heath, and Nogueira will most likely all be top 5 picks. You should have a very clear taking of a solid defender.

21. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I can't disagree with you - those are a solid top five. Tobin will be the first pick. Engen is solid - but I fear she won't be there when we pick. We have a good idea of who we want if that's the case. Hopefully you can understand that I can't tell you who it is - I know others look at these boards and I wouldn't want to help any of the other teams know our strategy!!! But I certainly would welcome an open discussion by all of you with your thoughts on who the best 25-30 college players are - we all know the top 5-7!!!

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the update on Kai. Shoulders can take a while to rehab and it is very good news to hear she's on track to be ready for training camp. I hope she is looking at what Grings is doing on the field in Germany (timing runs, getting good strikes on frame, and flat out scoring goals--16 by week 10) and looking to better that here.

This being a message board, I do want to disagree with your use of the term "breakout season" in reference to Kai & 2010. She was the 2nd leading American scorer in '09. She's been on the WNT. Everyone knows who she is. Sure, to get back in the WNT lineup, she needs to repeat (or better) that accomplishment. If she's healthy (stays hungry), and getting service, I think that can happen.

But to me, breakout implies that a player is somewhat unknown/unexpected. Like say if Jennifer Nobis (a player who did well in a loan this fall) were to be in the top 10 in scoring. Or (for a SB example) Hanks were to be in the top 10 in scoring.

Anyway, thanks for posting here.

23. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Fair point. Who likes people that only agree?? Let me clarify my point. Tash has been out of the national team for a few months. What I meant is she will have to play her way back in. Pia looks at current play not history. There is considerable young competition coming and Tash needs to go out and do it on the field.

Fair?

24. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I am really excited about the new Sky Blue signings. I would EASILY be a season ticket holder if they played just a little bit closer to NYC. Is there any chance of a move to Harrison once the new stadium is complete? I can't remember if this was previously discussed or if it is just wishful thinking on my part.

25. PSoccer

PSoccer New Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Get rid of Hanks to anyone that will give you a draft pick for her and pick Becky Edwards.