News: Roster for matches against Ireland and France

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USOutlaw16, May 29, 2018.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    'there's no tonic like a game against a Bolivia team putting in a command performance on the insistence of SUM pursuant to a contractual obligation.

Unlike others I thought Bolivia played well, all things considered, and gave us a decent scrimmage.

Sarachan is going to miss a guy to drive the play thru midfield when we play Ireland. Keaton will help but he'll leave holes on defense against the relentless Irish who shouldn't be confused with Keaton's B league opposition in Portugal. It's not as easy as Sarachan thinks.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I guess you missed out on Nate Jaqua then.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Bash brothers! Maybe he means a really good tall forward?

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He punked that league. We have no idea where his ceiling is.

Were the USA to be playing real matches getting ready for a real tournament, Nova would have no place on the roster. Since that's not true, I'm all for finding young players who are producing for their clubs and seeing what they might have to offer at a higher level. I love Bobby Wood's desire and how hard he plays for the USA, but he is neither young nor producing. Sargent just played a match - let Nova play Ireland and then let the winner start against France. Seems wise, but I guess you already know everything based on what club owns what player - nothing they do on the field seems to matter.

5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'll give him credit to say that he's been waiting for one with (possible) skill. Might be Nova, might not. He's got to prove he can play at a higher level.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is up with big, tall American forwards wanting to play more like they’re Messi instead of more like Ibrahimovic or Lukaku? Kenny Cooper was the worst violator of this. I want a big forward who will bully the center Backs.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m worried about the France game being too much for this young team. Last thing we need is to be slaughtered 5-0 to inspire confidence.

8. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    If that's where we're at, that's where we're at. Better to see that measuring stick than ignore it, and if that's the outcome, better for it to be the last game under that coach and leave some motivation in everyone's mind for the beginning of a new regime. IMO.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a fair response, I’m just worried this new group is so much in its infancy that a major blowout isn’t going to offer the same value as finding a group, say like an Ireland that can offer very good competition where these players have to step up their game but with an understanding they’re still learning. I’m not trying to be Debbie Downer, I expect our players to play France like they can win, but fully understand that France is a well oiled machine and we are a shattered program just now trying to rebuild.

10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Lenhart?

manfromgallifrey91 repped this.
  11. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I guess my response would be that this is not our 2022 World Cup roster. This is just a bunch of guys we're trying to test out. How they respond to this sort of a challenge and the possibility for some real adversity should be a learning tool about the mentality of these players.

I don't entirely disagree with you, I'm not sure I would have scheduled our makeshift bunch of kids to play in the home sendoff game for a genuine World Cup contender playing a full strength side, but we've all seen how parts of this team have a bad habit of shrinking from adversity, and only adversity can break that.

SteelyTom, Eleven Bravo and Winoman repped this.
  12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then certainly don't start Trapp at DM.

bsky22 repped this.
  13. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same..."

You make these guys sound like a bunch of melting snowflakes. Get on with, take your lumps and come back stronger for the experience. That's the way Life works.

Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^THIS

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can agree with this... please don’t mistake that I couldn’t agree more that adversity can make you better than anything else. More, last thing I would want to do is coddle a bunch of grown men. That said, I do care how much of a lesson can be taught here.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    sometimes a bunch of grown men need to be coddled. :cool:

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I actually think Trapp is here for the France game. Seeing Sarachan operate, he will put his most experienced team out there for France. Ireland might be another experiment with someone like Parks getting a start or it might be a game to get everyone together for France. Sarachan is about results, so probably his France lineup, for the most part, starts against Ireland but doesn't play the whole game.

The most experienced lineup is:

-------------------------Wood------------
    Saief-------McKennie-----Adams--------Rubin/Green
    --------------------------Trapp--------------
    Villafana--------Miazga-----CCV---------Yedlin

We have to see if Trapp can perform at this level. Failure is ok, we have to learn. If he does well, or even ok, it might get him a decent move this Summer to Europe.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, Corona is more experienced than Adams.

19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    If you like Keaton, you should check out this kid Delgado :p

Excellency repped this.
  20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I still want to see Andrew Carleton called in. He impressed me more in the WC he was in than others that are being given the call. I't imperative that Dave Sarachan be sent packing ASAP. We're wasting valuable time letting him hang around

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Beckerman did well in the 2011 friendly against France, in which showed he could offer something at international level. So far, Trapp has excelled for the US. The upcoming matches will be a nice step up, especially as France tend to take friendlies seriously.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    How many people did you want called in? 36?

23. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When will this Sarachan nightmare end!? I just want these two games to be over with so that we can get someone else in, I'll even take Vermes......actually not really not Vermes..please no Vermes, I was Ambien typing. :D

24. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope the USA coaches continue to reward players who get out to Europe or Mexico to play.

Ive never felt that MLS was the backbone, but more the fillers.

Borrachin repped this.
  25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP:D