Roster & FO Changes Offseason 2022-23

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by rslfanboy, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just addressed on the broadcast: he never spent 12 or more consecutive months in the academy prior to turning 18.

Med_Phys repped this.
  2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bertin Jacquesson at #16. Frech winger, former teammate of Jasper, GA deal. I think he'll count as an internation player.

3. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ismitje and rslfanboy repped this.
  5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 Ismitje, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    A third guy named Pierre in the system? We had those two guys who played in the USOC last year, Pierre Reedy and Bobby Pierre, and now this fellow.

EDIT: Bobby is his brother.

6. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Older brother to Bobby from the Monarchs, I believe.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be curious to know how close this guy is to getting a green card given he's been in the US as long as he has with Pitt. Hopefully that international slot doesn't have to be used on him long

8. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my concern: I remember reading a year or so ago that international status can't change during the year. If you use an international spot at the beginning of the season, it's there all season. I get we need to take chances with guys in the draft, but we only have 7 spots to work with. How often can you be drafting guys if they take a spot for more than one season? Also, because he's GA, he takes a supplemental spot unless loaned out. Makes me question why guys like Holt are brought back, he uses a supplemental spot, too. We sign all these HGs, but then they can't play (listed as unavailable) because we don't have room on the roster.
    I'm just hoping we get answers as to who takes what roster spot this year, especially the HGs and internationals.

9. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Looks like arguably the Monarchs two best players, Aziz Kayondo and Golden Mafwenta, are not with the group. They were both in a tough spot - good enough that they'd probably be in demand elsewhere, not quite good enough to justify the international slot it'd take to sign them.

If international slots weren't an issue I'd have signed Kayondo for sure, but it's just hard to justify an international slot on a backup left back. Though I shouldn't rule them out signing with the first team after all.

rslfanboy repped this.
  11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Gomez finalized. 4 years!!! with 1 year option. U22.

Reports were $4mil transfer fee. Not sure what his salary will be. Probably in the range of being able to use TAM to buy him down from DP status?

So, I guess he & Savarino can switch sides as needed. This should put Chang and Meram as 1st off the bench type of guys.

I'm still worried about our CF situation. Hopefully Moose can step it up this year for 60, and Anderson Julio can come on at 60 to devastate at will.

Ismitje and georg repped this.
  12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think we will see a DP level signing at the striker position in the coming weeks with a quality CB being signed also. Cannot imagine this new ownership group not wanting to make a big splash in their first full year in charge.

13. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    (x) doubt.

Edit: also we already had our quality CB signing. Did you miss Holts contract extension lol

SenordrummeR2 and Med_Phys repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club seems fine using an international slot on a developmental (at best) forward drafted from college… this is just bad roster building and bad club pipeline promoting

SenordrummeR2, irondeepbicycle and acima repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s u22 for the full time
    If memory serves me right that’s more or less like a tam dp

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you watched the jazz this year?

17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Lauri Markkanen!!!

18. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Stejskal said on Twitter it's $3.1m for 80% (Millonarios retains a 20% sell-on). He's under contract for 5 years (through 2027) with an option for 2028.
    U-22 Initiative says players can't make more than the roster max (~$650k this year), but hit the salary budget at $150k or $200k depending on their age. No TAM is needed.
    Really glad to see them using the U22 initiative the way it's intended. Hope to see a couple more moves like this, this year. I'm not asking for $10m players, but I won't complain if that's what they decide to do.

goobx1 and Ismitje repped this.
  19. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Med_Phys repped this.
  20. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick math says that RSL has an outgoing $3.2m on senior roster spot players. They have only brought in Gomez to the senior roster, budget hit of $150k. They may have given some raises to Silva, MacMath, Gomez and Chang, but there should still be a fair amount of money in the budget to make some significant additions. Don't know if Holt will hit the senior roster or not.

21. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    An interesting name in RSL's preseason camp - Moses Nyeman started our preseason game against LAFC. He signed with DC United at 15. Got some decent playing time with DC and then signed with Blitzer-owned SK Beveren in Belgium.

A lot of people thought Nyeman went to Europe too early and he never got minutes for Beveren. In fact the player he sat on the bench behind was Everton Luiz. But he's still only 19 and is really talented - there's potential that he could be a cheap reclamation project.

I'm guessing ~90% of our CM minutes this year will be some combination of Ruiz, Ojeda, and Loeffelsend, but Nyeman could still find some minutes ahead of Caldwell if he impresses.

Allez RSL, rslfanboy and Med_Phys repped this.
  22. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he a classic 6 or more of an 8? RSL's midfield is pretty full. He'd start for the Monarchs though. Interesting byproduct of the dissolution of the Allocation order already for RSL.

23. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Probably a bit more 8 than 6. Haven't seen him play much but when I have he's got a good motor, good defensively, very good at dribbling through pressure. Stylistically I've seen him compared to N'Golo Kante.

Like I said, he was sitting on the bench behind Everton Luiz in Belgium so I wouldn't expect a lot of minutes in 2023. But if he gets occasional minutes with the first-team and some Monarchs minutes to develop he could end up being a steal.

Med_Phys repped this.
  24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    To say a bit more about Nyeman, he was considered an elite prospect for a while. He was starting for DC United as a teenager and made the US provisional squad for the 2021 Gold Cup. He didn't make the final squad but he was only 17 at the time, and making the prelim squad was really impressive. He even got a profile from the Guardian as one of the world's top '03 talents.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

But by 2022 he'd fallen out of favor at DC, and then he couldn't even make the bench for a Belgian second tier team. Sometimes that happens to young phenoms - we probably all remember Luis Gil, and how excited we were that he played well at 18 before dropping off the face of the earth.

My feeling is we shouldn't give up on a player at age 19. Maybe the talent is still there and we help him get his head on straight. If we can get Nyeman back to the trajectory he was on at one point, bringing him in could be an absolute steal.

DrownedElf, RSLer, 15 to 32 and 4 others repped this.