Roster, Draft Picks, Allocations, Discoveries: What we know, how we know it. [N&A]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Except that last year we put in the first claim on Digi and when a second team expressed interest, it went to a lottery. So I don't know what the policy is.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't believe we actually claimed him as a discovery. If you've got evidence to the contrary let me know and I'll stand corrected.
    My search of newspapers and the boards found nothing saying that DC United ever claimed DiGiamarino as a discovery. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. But I'd like to see some evidence.

3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't there a weird one we were involved in with Cunningham, where we had put in a discovery pick for him, and a mystery pick had also been made by Columbus - and either theirs was 15 minutes before ours, or their record was worse, or something - and the league gave him to Cumblowus?
    I think with DiGi, if the league wasn't going to insist on a lottery (because he used to be in the league or some such bizarre reasoning), then we would have used a discovery pick on him, but we didn't when we learned it would be wasted.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    By the way, JoeW, this is your own account from way back when ...

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding (I'll see if I can find something to back it up) was that DiGi was not allowed to be a discovery pick because of the unwritten "Lalas rule."

People make fun of the Lalas discovery pick, but back then a discovery was basically anyone who wasn't in the league that didn't merit a fee. After that, people who left MLS, then returned were not allowed to be discoveries.

I could be wrong on some or all of the points, but that was my understanding.

6. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought that was Andy Williams or maybe Stern John, but yes that situation came up.

7. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    I thought it was Andy Williams and that DC's fax was actually 15 minutes prior to the Crew's?

Whatever, he was awarded to Columbus because, in the infamous words of Doug Logan, "DC already has enough good players."

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    First, MLS changes rules all the time so you could be right or (heavens forbid) there may even be a new rule (like the 3 discovery players for 2004!).

Second, DCU discovered Mark Watson (a former MLS-er). Could be wrong but I thought we did the same thing with Aunger after Rongen had cut him from NE. I thought Chicago did that with Vaudreil (after he was out of the league).

What may have complicated things with Lalas was that he "retired" (so a team gave up rights to him) and then unretired and was discovered. All of those other players (Digi, Watson, Aunger, Vaudreil, etc.) were active and played overseas or in the A-league after their first MLS stint.

And yes, Serie Zed is correct--it was Andy Williams. I thought it was more than 15 minutes gap. Eventually the rationalization (at least publicly) was that DCU's record was better. The humor of it all though is that Columbus than put in a claim for a player later and they lost him b/c their record was better than the competing team. Fitzgerald (who had publicly defended the Andy Williams deal as saying that is how teams in all US sports did it--by reverse record) then had a public hissy fit claiming the league was shafting Columbus and had never made the policy clear to begin with.

And Knave, I don't think we every publicly claimed Digi as a discovery. I thought we were ready to do so and then the league put the kibosh on it.

9. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    DiGiamarino was on Bob Bradley's radar in November 2002. The fact that DiGi happened to train with DC prior to his training with the Metros was an issue of circumstance. It was a logistical issue, and DiGi was scheduled to train with the Metros (the other team interested in him) before he showed up for a look in DC. Somehow this got distorted into a story about how DC filed a discovery claim originally but the league devised a way of putting DiGi on the Metros, one of those myths that has legs because it promotes that tired claptrap about DC's persecution at the hands of the Metro-leaning MLS office. Don't believe it.

10. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Honestly though Haig, the second MLS announced it would be a weighted lottery, was there even a single non-Metro fan in the world that didn't know that meant he was going to be awarded to the Metros? I think the point made there goes to the fact that by putting it in a lottery, it had the same effect as simply awarding him to the Metros, which circumvents whatever flimsy logic MLS had been using at that time. I'm certainly not defending MLS procedures, just noting the effect-driven mechanism.

-Digital

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think that meant he was going to the Metros. And I'm a DC fan. Because at that point, the Metros had as much success at lotteries as the Dallas Burn, who we all know is such a favorite of MLS HQ's schemes.

12. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    No, the question was "didn't DC try, or plan to try, to acquire DiGiamarino as a discovery player." And the answer is "no."

But since we're off topic: why is Thiago Martins still on DC's roster, if he was acquired as a stopgap replacement for an injured player? (Never mind, don't answer that.)

13. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    No. Aunger was acquired via the old Supplemental Draft.

http://www.mlsnet.com/archive/superdraft_1998.html

14. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haydon Woodworth

Is there any chance that last year's draft pick Haydon Woodworth will get a invite to camp. He had a nice season with Charlotte in the A-League. In college he playd in midfield, but in Charlotte he turned into a nice outside back that could nicely come forward.

15. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Re: Haydon Woodworth

Good to know he had success, but since he wasn't Nowak's pick I'm not sure Peter will even know about him. But we still do own his rights.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    From USSoccerUK: http://www.ussocceruk.com/USsoccerUK_Forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=1399&posts=7

MLS 2004 International Transfer Windows
    • January 1 until March 31 - (the “primary window”)
    • August 15 until September 15 - (the “secondary window”)
    Key Dates on the 2004 MLS Competition Calendar
    • Monday, January 19 - Domestic Discovery Period Begins
    • Monday, March 1 - Roster / Salary Budget Compliance
    • Thursday, March 4 - Waiver Draft via Conference Call
    • Saturday, April 3 - Regular Season Commences
    • Tuesday, June 1 - College Protected List Finalized
    • Friday, June 25 - Contracts guaranteed for 2004 season
    • Saturday, July 24 - MLS All-Star Game
    • Saturday, October - 16 End of Regular Season
    • Sunday, November - 14 MLS Cup 2004

17. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Hayden Woodworth

I've heard that Hayden Woodworth has been invited back to D.C. United's pre-season camp starting February 2. He also has received interest from several other MLS teams. It's still a long-shot for him to make the team (or any other team), but it seems he's getting another shot at it, and that's all he can ask for.

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

These numbers are based upon Ridge Mahoney's article in the Januray 26, 2004 edition of Soccer America. His source is reported to be the players union.

Players Salary Cap Numbers

Adu, Freddy $280K ($500K) (P-40)
    Alegria, Jose $27,783
    Barclay, Devin $83,917 (P-40)
    Carroll, Brian $34K (P-40)
    Cerritos, Ronald $162K
    Convey, Bobby $143K
    Eskandarian, Alecko $80,500 (P-40)
    Kovalenko, Dema $176K
    Martins, Thiago $32,500
    Namoff, Bryan $27,780
    Nelsen, Ryan $90,554
    Olsen, Ben $161K
    Petke, Mike $165K
    Prideaux, Brandon $69,050
    Quaranta, Santino $95K
    Quintanilla, Eliseo $54K
    Reyes, Milton $112,650
    Rimando, Nick $86K
    Stewart, Earnie $280K ($285K)
    Stokes, David $30,850 (P-40)
    Warren, Doug $25,200

Draft Picks

Kevin Ara
    Josh Gros
    Kevin Hudson

That totals $1,707,517. With the cap reported to be $1,730,000 United is under the salary cap according to these numbers by $22,483.

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Hayden Woodworth

Speaking of cool-named ex-DC tryouts, whatever happened to Caleb Norkus?

20. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... The Most Arcane Thread Ever Returns ...

:: Updated :: April 29, 2004 ::

Coach

Head Coach :: Peter Nowak
    Assistant Coach :: Tom Soehn
    Assistant Coach :: Mark Simpson

Roster :: 24 Maximum :: 22 Currently ::

Code:
    [size=2]
    Perkins, Troy		DEV

Adu, Freddy		P-40
    Carroll, Brian		P-40
    Eskandarian, Alecko	P-40
    Stokes, David		P-40

Ara, Kevin		SEN
    Convey, Bobby		SEN
    Gros, Joshua		SEN
    Namoff, Bryan		SEN
    Olsen, Ben		SEN
    Petke, Mike		SEN
    Prideaux, Brandon	SEN
    Quaranta, Santino	SEN
    Stewart, Earnie		SEN
    Rimando, Nick		SEN
    Warren, Doug		SEN

Cerritos, Ronald	SEN, GC
    Kovalenko, Dema		SEN, GC
    Martins, Thiago 	SEN, GC

Quintanilla, Eliseo	SEN, DISC, T-I

Moreno, Jaime		SEN, S-I
    Nelsen, Ryan		SEN, S-I

[/size]
    Roster Key

DEV = Developmental (DEV + P-40 = 6 players min & max)
    P-40 = Project 40 (P-40 + DEV = 6 players min & max)
    DISC = Discovery Player (4 players max, may add max 2 per year)
    GC = Green Card
    SEN = Counts against the senior roster (18 players max)
    S-I = Senior International (3 players max)
    T-I = Transitional International (20 players max league wide)
    ???? = In limbo. Likely will sign, but hasn't yet officially.

Note 1 :: We have 22 players. 5 are roster protected, and 17 are senior team.

Note 2 :: We have space for 1 more roster protected player and 1 more senior player. That senior player may be a senior international player.

Note 3 :: According to Steven Goff (email, not a story) we do not have money to pay for that last senior spot rendering it virtually moot.

Note 4 :: Nana Kuffour (18 year old midfielder from Ghana) is expected to sign a developmental contract once his paperwork is finalized. With that addition DC United will max out its roster protected spots.

Draft Picks

:: 2005 ::

1st Round :: Natural pick. Also note 2.
    2nd Round :: To KC for 2004 24th pick (Ara). Also note 2.
    3rd Round :: To KC for 2004 24th pick (Ara). Also note 2.
    4th Round :: Natural pick.
    5th Round :: Natural pick.
    6th Round :: Natural pick.

Note 1 :: The 2004 24th pick was originally our natural pick. It was dealt to KC as part of the deal that brought Quintanilla to DC United. The pick was then traded back to us on draft day for our natural 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2005. Hence, it's now effectively as if the Quintanilla deal was for the 2005 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Note 2 :: See the future considerations section below. According to Steven Goff "If Moreno plays in 20 of 30 regular season games, the MetroStars will receive United's first-round pick. Otherwise, they would get a second- or third-round pick."

Note 3 :: DC United may owe San Jose a conditional 2005 draft pick for Devin Barclay. It is unknown what the conditions were, and whether those conditions were met.

Allocations

Officially we have no allocations. It’s presumed that we will get one for Etcheverry, but it will almost certainly (95% positive) go to Dallas for the future considerations we owe them for the number one overall draft pick.

Discoveries

We currently have one on the roster and we can get up to two more in 2004.

Earlier reports suggesting the number of discoveries a team can make per year has increased by one to three appear to have been erroneous according to the now published 2004 MLS player classification regulations.

However, teams now have unlimited discovery opportunities for developmental players.

As it is there remains considerable debate about how much money we have available to us to use towards transfer fees etc. See page 2 of this thread. There's also some suggestion that the money has been increased. Going on the old information, these are the basics as best as I can determine. Teams have $100K to use as transfer fees on discovery players. A team can use up to three years worth of fees at one time (a special discovery). Unspent money is lost. DCUnited used 2002, 2003 and 2004's transfer money to acquire Reyes. Whether we now have the 2005 and 2006 money available is uncertain. However, on occasion alternative arrangements can be made. Q2 was a special discovery and playing a friendly against his old team paid a portion of his transfer fee. Suffice it to say nobody really knows how these work or what our current discovery situation is.

Future Considerations

Note 1 :: The Columbus Crew owe DC United future considerations for Devin Barclay.

Note 2 :: Future considerations owed by DC United to Dallas for 2004 SuperDraft first overall pick.

Note 3 :: Future considerations owed by DC United to the MetroStars for the rights to Jaime Moreno. According to Steven Goff, "If Moreno plays in 20 of 30 regular season games, the MetroStars will receive United's first-round pick. Otherwise, they would get a second- or third-round pick."

Note 4 :: Future considerations owed by Dallas to DC United for the rights to Milton Reyes. According to DCUnited.com "Additional considerations will apply if Reyes is added to the 2004 final roster for Dallas."

Useful Links

DC United Transactions: http://www.dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=tradition&cont_id=94152
    MLS Regulations: http://www.mlsnet.com/about/regulations/
    DC United Roster (DCUnited.com): http://www.dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=team&cont_id=roster&roster_id=15
    DC United Roster (MLSNet): http://www.mlsnet.com/teams/rosters/dc.html
    Key Dates on the 2004 MLS Competition Calendar: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=2070423#post2070423

I will update this post/thread as more information becomes available and as corrections and additions are made.

22. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: ... The Most Arcane Thread Ever Returns ...

I read the other day that two rookies were signed (to developmental deals I think?) so I assume you need to update the roster.

Mod's Note :: Just fixed a formatting problem.

23. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: ... The Most Arcane Thread Ever Returns ...

Only Perkins was signed to a Development contract. Gros and Ara were added to the 18-man roster.

http://www.dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=232372

24. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Anyone heard about those two guys we had/have on trial, Henriquez and Rojas? Last I heard they were subs in the game vs. Atlas. Potentially we could sign both but I would think we would sign one to a developmental contract and leave the full roster spot open for later, just in case something happens.