Roster and pre-game for 6/14 Ireland match

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Jun 3, 2003.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Here ya' go:

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=36750&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

On the grid doohicky they have Pags listed as a defender.

Anyone else gonna be in SLC besides me?

It'll be interesting to see how many people show up for this match with all the WWC hype swirling around.

And if you want some greasy pizza go to The Pie (the Pi symbol) on the edge of the University of Utah campus. GREAT STUFF!!!

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Ok I can see that Bri and Siri are going for spots 1&2 and Pags and Beene will have to fight it out over for spot 3 but....... When the crap is Siri gonna get any significant playing time?

3. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Look at it this way: at least Siri will be at the Freedom games in goal. I have the sneaking suspicion that Mia and Abby won't be there against Carolina on the 11th.

4. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Oh man, I hope that's not true. Of the three, the Freedom probably needs Siri the most, but still...

5. GrayHammer9317

GrayHammer9317 New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Annandale,VA
  6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    U.S. Women's Soccer Team Coming to U. Campus
    Rice-Eccles Stadium hosting USA vs. Ireland on June 14, Americans spending week in Salt Lake
    May 27, 2003

------

So should I leave Boise after work on Friday or should I just drive into SLC Saturday morning? Help a brotha out!!!

7. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Re: Washington will have Abby, Mia and Siri for the June 11 game at Carolina

Thanks for catching that little tidbit of information. It would help if I read the whole article, wouldn't it? ;)

That's great news then. Bad, I guess, that Abby will only get two days of practice, but hopefully that won't hurt her.

8. Charger22

Charger22 New Member

Feb 16, 2002
    out there
    I think with Mac's injury then April is going to be forced to give Abby some more playing time. Ape's going to have to get over whatever she doesn't like about Abby before the World Cup starts and I think she knows that too. Abby is too good to leave off the roster if Shannon is left at home.

9. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    re:

I think it is important to note that we are going to have some very tired puppies for the freedom.
    Mia and Abby in particular. first there is the match on the 8th, then another on the 11th. then the freindly on the 14th, then the all-star match on the 19th, then a match on the 22nd. that is alot of matches in the space of 2 weeks.

10. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
  11. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Wambach is too good to leave off the roster even if MacMillan makes the team.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Mac won't make the team, but I am sure she will be in khakis on the bench providing emotional support and inspiration. Akers, too.

13. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I've heard Mac is already walking on it, but I still don't think she'll be back in time for the WC. If she pushes it too hard she's probably going to end up hurting herself more. Usual recovery is 6-9 months, right? I mean, even Riise who tore hers a month before Mac probably won't be back before the WC. *shrug* Who knows.

14. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    "Ireland is currently competing in Group 5 of
    qualifying for the 2005 European Women’s Championship
    and is leading the group after a fine start. In their
    first three matches, the Irish defeated
    Bosnia-Herzegovina 6-0, tied Croatia 0-0, and most
    recently thumped Romania 19-0""

No, they did not defeat the Romanians by that score. In fact, they don't play against each other until June 28th!

15. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    Ha, you fell for the same trick the Romanians did! The game was actually played last week but somehow the Romanians were "accidentally" told the game wasn't until June 28, so they didn't show up. How else do you think Ireland managed to win 19-0? They used the same trick to beat Bosnia 6-0, but when they tried it on Croatia they themselves became confused and forgot to show up, so that game ended in a 0-0 draw. (And, with no players on the field let me tell you the Ireland-Croatia game was almost as boring as the Champions' League final!)

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well if you live in or near SLC and are bored on next Tuesday and/or Monday..you can go watch the USWNT train on the Utah campus.

http://utahutes.ocsn.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/060503aaa.html

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From the local NBC station down there:

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=32712

Anyone else gonna be there besides me? Utah has never seen the likes of FearM9....well except for the Winter Olympics last year.....
    :eek::eek:

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  20. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Holy belgium waffles Batman! Attendance could possibly break 15,000 tomorrow!

Soccer: Just Kicking It
    By Peter Richins

21. Wade Bills

Wade Bills New Member

Oct 15, 2000
    West Jordan, UT

Looks like we'll have a great crowd tomorrow. This will be by far the largest crowd to ever attend a soccer game in Utah. (A few years ago we had about 7000 or so attend the Blitzz national championship game, and in 1990, the Salt Lake Sting had a few crowds around the 8000-10000 level.)

When they announced this match, I was worried about a possibly small crowd which would have looked embarassing on national TV, but it looks like the local soccer fans have enthusiastcially responded to support this event.

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  23. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    High of 91 F tomorrow, yahoo weather says. It was supposed to be clear today; but when I went outside, there were hugh black clouds in the south end of the valley and I heard thunder. Hopefully, they will stay away tomorrow or at least stay out in the suburbs or over the mountains.

Rice Eccles has its pressbox/luxury box complex on the west side of the stadium.

By 7 PM, a lot of the field will be in the shade; maybe even all of it.

15,000 tickets is nice; but Rice Eccles is huge. Diehard Ute Fan Wade Bills can tell us how many seats there are because I'm too lazy to look it up. So a little bit of the "Kansas City Wizards" effect is inevitable.

Hey, Fear, I'm a cheap bastard so I will be in S1. I am going to try to move into S3. I should have my foam rubber Uncle Sam hat on and maybe my US Soccer scarf. I'll be the one teaching the PTH's how to sing "In Your Dublin Home."

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Boy I must REALLY be numerically challenged. These numbers look WRONG to me.

Coppied from the article: (I added line breaks to make counting easier.)
    ===============================
    Goalkeepers (3):
    LaKeysia Beene (San Jose CyberRays),
    Briana Scurry (Atlanta Beat);

Defenders (8):
    Thori Bryan (San Jose CyberRays),
    Joy Fawcett (San Diego Spirit),
    Christie Pearce (New York Power),
    Cat Reddick (UNC),
    Danielle Slaton (Carolina Courage),
    Kate Sobrero (Boston Breakers);

Midfielders (7):
    Lorrie Fair (Philadelphia Charge),
    Julie Foudy (San Diego Spirit),
    Angela Hucles (Boston Breakers),
    Kristine Lilly (Boston Breakers),
    Tiffany Roberts (Carolina Courage),
    Aly Wagner (San Diego Spirit);

Forwards (5):
    Mia Hamm (Washington Freedom),
    Tiffeny Milbrett (New York Power),
    Heather O’Reilly (PDA Torpedoes),
    Cindy Parlow (Atlanta Beat),
    Abby Wambach (Washington Freedom).
    ===============================
    I count 2 Goal keepers, 6 defenders, 6 midfielders, and 5 forwards.

Well at least I count the same number of forwards as the listing has.