Roster 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by slycat, Nov 11, 2021.

1. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They are in the same boat in the sense that neither have been able to practice and both are under contract with the team. Vera only just cleared and began practicing today. You can't go around claiming breach when both players have been in the same boat and unable to join the team.

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #402 juvechelsea, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    again, it depends on why. you're assuming they are out for the same why. maybe, maybe not.

again, the label on bajamich was "not reported." vera cleared 1/26 means with 5 day quarantine he was quarantined 1/21. camp started 1/18. but that means vera "reported" and was then held out. that alone, different boats.

you're not saying bajamich's timeframe, which should mirror vera's if they are in the same boat. any event, the timing doesn't match up with either guy showing up on time for camp. since they weren't in camp day 1 doesn't even match up with started camp then did something stupid after hours or contacted someone sick and had to sit. matches up more with arrived late. they might not be here on time for different reasons.

i also think it's like you're forgetting how this whole scenario went on initial arrival where bajamich ended up "loaned" back to his home team. effectively arriving late that time too. it has a felix garcia feel.

i also think you're forgetting one just got extended and the other the brass appear to be counting his slot in their plans. we don't have 2 slots. not unless. they are planning on 2 moves this winter it sounds like. so.....and historically at this timeframe the misfit koke announces his homesickness and we announce his roster fate. we then announce the yin-yang incoming player.

if we are all into "culture" we might be absolutely fine with an unhappy bajamich never seeing the campus. some mix of a late arrival and then he goes into quarantine and meanwhile we negotiate his exit. meanwhile vera clears and starts practicing.

3. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You may want to go back and re-read that tweet because if you read only Vera was out of practice for COVID protocol then you read wrong.

If you follow the news then you'll also know that the press in Argentina reported that he "returned" to Argentina on the 26th for his physical with Huracan.

4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  5. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

*rey* repped this.
  6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    what do you think was happening while he was nominally in "covid protocol?" again, covid protocol includes high risk behavior includes hopping on a plane. but why did you hop on a plane several days late if you wanted to be out of protocol before practice started? then while you're absent we announce your transfer.

do i have to draw a map? he could have been negotiating which team he landed at. he could have been told don't show up while we sort out your exit.

that him and vera being same time in protocol can be coincidence?

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    not sure if he will play there -- one of my primary criteria -- but in terms of snob appeal and money he fell upwards with this pair of transfers. argie 2d->USA.>argie 1st. while actually barely seeing the light of day here, what, 9 games in 2 seasons? he may be setting himself up for more sitting but he's promoted.

8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Allow me to translate your tweet for you: "I have no actual knowledge or insight on this but I'm going to wildly speculate".

Here's knowable facts: Bajamich and Vera arrived in the USA to join the Dynamo for preseason. They both entered the Health and Safety Protocol. How did they wind up there? Who the hell knows and it doesn't really matter. In the meantime, the Dynamo were shopping Bajamich as surplus to requirements and to clear an international slot for the two remaining "impact" moves they say they are going to make. Did Bajamich say he was homesick or wanted to go back to Argentina? Maybe, who knows? What we do know is he was in Houston. Both Vera and Bajamich were cleared from protocol on Jan 25 or 26 allowing Vera to join training on the 26th and Bajamich to fly back on the 26th for his physical exam (which, by the way, implies they entered the protocol at the exact same time).

Who the f!@# cares? All that matters is the Dynamo did a good job of cleaning up Jordan's mess here by finding a way to ship out a player that they don't need and, according to Mendelsohn, if Huracan executes the option to buy then the transfer fee exceeds what the Dynamo paid to get him in the first place.

CeltTexan, *rey*, DonJuego and 3 others repped this.
  9. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    "wildly speculate?" never reported. loaned out. we can pretend he was in covid protocol for being sick or contact tracing, or we can follow the implications to a fairly reasonable guess what happened. you need to go back and reread what onstad said. swear he suggested bajamich didn't report.

i concede it's a guess but i guessed fairly accurately about the coach hiring situation. here is what we know. here is what makes most sense from that information.

alternative worlds where he reported then tested positive or went out and partied don't match the facts because no one ever saw him at practice. covid protocol includes quarantine for international flights. but the timing of the quarantine would not match someone trying to show up ahead of time like they meant to practice day 1. t's not complicated. if i had to quarantine 5 days before playing college soccer that means i have to report and be in the dorms 5 days early. i don't show up first day of practice. if he ever showed up he wasn't beginning quarantine until after the preseason started. ergo didn't show up on time. why not? well, we now know he's gone.

covid protocol is 5 days. getting out on 1/25 doesn't put you in camp 1/18 when the rest of them began. it dates you to 1/20. the math doesn't work. he then boards a plane to take a physical 1/26. you understand that means the loan was finalized while he was quarantined. an odd coincidence, no?? player shows up late, goes into quarantine, gets loaned during quarantine, is basically only eligible once the deal is done.

you seem unwilling to consider the idea is he was never going to see the field. that the deal might have even been part done -- like his personal terms in argentina -- before he manifested.

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I knew Tony Caig better than our man Mateo Bajamich!

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  12. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

This is likely the player that Dynamo Insider referenced a few days ago. The TB tweet says he plays left back but looking around online says he can play on the right as well.

1490788678905606153 is not a valid tweet id

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    based on how we've acted this winter, the starting LB, whether i like him or not, has continued to start, but the veteran RB valentin has sat behind dorsey, who is primarily a wing attacker. and hoffmann has disappeared, whether i like him or not. so i agree he is probably coming (if he does) to be a RB more so than LB (at least initially). i personally think footedness is overrated on wingbacks, if you want actual defense.

the timing also would suggest they noticed the recent wing cross goal pattern Celt and i were harping on.

you can always bring him in to play right as his audition then swap him left later on if he turns out looking better than lundkvist. lundkvist himself got tried both sides but has a one footed problem right side.

14. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This sounds like a “my fullbacks suck, do something!” signing. If that’s the case I hope they move the flotsam out.

Neither of these Brazilian rumors do much for me at face value and either seem a questionable use of a finite and precious I-slot.

Long-term issues too if we’re stuck with them for multiple seasons.

Also two frees indicate that we’re probably still bargain bin shopping and that Ferreira was a blip.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    if we sign a RB, worth noting that we're accumulating a pile of veteran mediocrities hogging roster slots while destined to not play much. a smart team would start to clear space and cap by making deals. the surplus should be advertised under a big waving garage sale sign.

corona memo dorsey pasher valentin nelson ceren etc.

if dorsey is the bench RB then i don't need valentin. if dorsey goes up top i don't need all those wingers and i might want gitau more than some of them.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    we may be holding off on DP b/c either impressed with baird or underwhelmed with quintero, trying to decide which position needs to get fixed, and maybe punting until after we have some games of feedback to decide. personally, i wouldn't sign DPs on that short term a basis -- quintero could have his wheels come off anytime now -- and i would build the team around specific positions for the long haul and clear anything in their way out. if i have ferreira, i don't care if i had a decent 9 before or could move one there. he's there to be the solution regardless who else we might have had.

but we seem to be operating more from the kinnear approach of identify holes and plug them. which is ok enough because we have plenty of swiss cheese and we're at least back to an objective grasp of the team's issues. which has been lacking.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    TM acts like carrasquilla's loan expires in the summer. if true, you can use the last international slot we traded for, to sign an ordinary player. you then either have to sign a domestic or let carrasquilla go to open the DP slot again. which would say we're punting til summer.

that or they can punt thor to HD2 for the season. this is where i get into are we playing for now or will we deliberately send potentially helpful players to HD2 while we burn contract on veterans. i would rather trade the veterans and roster the kids first team, and then figure out how to field HD2. HD2 is not an end in itself, the idea is the best first team.

always the better soccer team. carrying pointless contracts to expiration was jordan's problem.

18. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    That is correct. It was pretty publicized off the jump for being a 1 year loan.

19. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020

Bogert corrected his report to state that Zeca will be signed for RB

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [​IMG]

https://www.houstondynamofc.com/news/houston-dynamo-sign-brazilian-olympic-gold-medalist-zeca

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    ok, so are we doing kinnear loans or jordan loans. kinnear loan you could even be interesting, but not enough, and be gone. jordan loan the kid gets bought regardless how well it's gone, give him time, we'll see.

i say this because zeca burns the last international slot unless thor somehow doesn't count. you then have to open another to do a single DP. that's carrasquilla or another one year can kick trade. at some point someone's ox has to get gored.

like i said, it kind of comes across to me like we're gonna give quintero and baird a half season. maybe the same for carrasquilla. but to elevate this anywhere serious they have to take a look at one of the attacking slots for a DP.

buying hadebe DP down doesn't open hadebe's international slot. and that 2nd DP would then require 2 slots, unless they are american. i have been shouting from the rooftops that we need defense, but this wingback had better be good because to me the difficulty is slot math and something has to give.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    my impression of his numbers is he's not going to be much more productive than our other backs attacking. goal and a couple assists a season. so hopefully better defending.

they're also fudging that vasco is a yoyo club who by last season was relegated and then midtable serie B with a fair amount of GA and negative GD.

"but cabezas." who knows.

23. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    1491890062161850373 is not a valid tweet id