Rossi is AMERICAN, not Italian

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by lond2345, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    here is a story from the uk independent
    Rossi the natural-born finisher gunning to be United's new baby-faced assassin
    Published: 20 January 2006
    Italian striker offers the invention and vision which Sir Alex Ferguson's side has been lacking. Andy Hunter reports

Everyone knows that Rossi was born in America. The kid is not Italian he is american. We all know the anti-american bias of british papers (their bashing of Howard, Glazers) and now they refuse to call the future star of man u (Rossi) "american."

Is this a way to save space in their paper/a mistake/or bias? you decide.

2. corina

corina New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Kathmandu United
    If he is playing for Italy he would be Italian(for player - country association sakes)? Like Adu was born in Ghana, you dont see people referring to him as Ghanian.

3. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I've seen him refered to as Ghanian in the British press and when they do articles on him at the BBC they usually put the articles in the African section of their website instead of the "Global" section or elsewhere..

Example (note the url after you click it):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/3582849.stm

4. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    No need to cry because a guy who would instantly become your greatest ever player has turned your mob down. It's called ambition. I don't see any of you whining about raping Ghana of Adu. Now piss off back to YA with your American shite.

6. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dammit not more Rossi threads

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    The British football press is pretty crap and is genuinely anti-American, at least on footballing terms. I think they had good reasons to be anti-Glazer (they haven't been anywhere near as anti-Kraft, who may be buying Liverpool), but they pretty consistently underestimate the US national team and the American public. Patronizing to the hilt.

All you really have to know is that Gary Lineker read out a fake US news report during the last World Cup that consistently used US sporting terms instead of soccer terms (i.e. McBride shot a touchdown into the Portugal net for one point) and the British press bought it hook, line and sinker. Lineker also picked the US to finish last, which was just patently stupid punditry. Unfortunately, most British news reports have basically picked the US to finish last again in 2006.

Oh well. Makes it sweeter when England inevitably ********s up and the US exceeds expectations ;).

8. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't read it then thickhead, it's not written with you in mind it's for us to have a good laugh at your crappy little team and it does the job pretty well.

9. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Yeah, a guy who came to the USA at 8 is raping poor Ghana. The only thing Ghanaian about Freddy Adu is his ancestry. His football, his accent, his life is thoroughly American.

And Rossi won't get picked for Italy anyway, so he'll come crawling back to us eventually.

10. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I was unaware the British football press was not written with British people in mind.

It's funny you call the United States as a crappy little team, as I remember England going out at the exact same stage in the last World Cup.

11. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    The funny thing about this thread is that every time I've watched a Man U match where Rossi comes on they are constantly calling him the Italian striker born in New Jersey..

I don't see the complaint from yanks about Rossi deciding he wants to play for Italy.. His heritage is Italian he's lived there for years.. He associates himself as Italian get over it...

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    To be honest, who really gives a crap?

13. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    let him actually do something in the premiership.

14. corina

corina New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Kathmandu United
    American by birth, Italian by the grace of God.:)

15. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have no opinion on the original topic but how would a guy who has yet to crack the first team lineup at his team instantly be our greatest player ever when our second choice goalkeeper has already won the oldest cup competition in England, on that same team?

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He already has.

17. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Bloody hell, they even said in the article that he was born in New Jersey. It's not about 'refusing to acknowledge him as American', you numpty - his nationality is irrelevant. Howard got no more bad press than Rio Ferdinand or David Beckham or Patrick Vieira or Adrian Mutu or El-Hadji Diouf or plenty of other footballers, and for more reason than some of them. He hasn't even been in the news for quite a few months, let alone referred to in a negative fashion. Do Reyna/McBride/Bocanegra/Convey et al. get bad press? Whyever not?

If Rossi calls himself Italian, I don't see why the papers should say any different.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Funny, particularly when the entire premise of this thread is a pathetic whine about the so-called ignorance of the English press...

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Achievements do not equate to greatness, particularly in terms of sport. Teams carry passengers and others forgo personal honours for team loyalty. It just doesn't work that way.

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rossi is American, then John McEnroe is German.

Now PLEASE, my fellow Americans, stop starting Rossi threads.

Please.

21. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    oh, that deflection, i imagine that happened in some great performance that bypasses all other americans in one great stride. 8 goals in the first 8 caps? best young player at the world cup, world cup best XI. Nothing compared to rossi in the reserves.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  23. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    32 minutes as well!

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Post whatever you want and I will deal with it later on, providing this thread is still here. Unfortunately for you, it's almost 0430 over here and I have an early start, so I'm off to bed. I would explain why that is the case further, but it involves having the most basic knowledge of things like Earth, geography and time zones. I neither have the time nor patience for such a task. Perhaps you could ask a tourist to explain them to you? In the meantime, it would be best to return to your safe heaven in YA.

25. USsoccerman

USsoccerman Member

Oct 8, 2003
    New York
    I don't car if the kid plays for Italy or the US but let's get one thing straight the US didn't rape Adu from Ghana. I would wish the kid well if he wants to play for Ghana but the US didn't poach Adu. Freddy Adu's family came to the United States for a chance of having a better life. Freddy was a young kid when he came to the states and he didn't come to America to play soccer/football. I understand what the poster was bitching about, though in my opinion it's not worth the bitching because Rossi was born and raised in Clifton, New Jersey and lived there until he was 14 when the family moved to Italy to continue to development of his game which he couldn't get in the US. While his parents where born in Italy, they both came to the US at a young age and have been living in the states for 30 + years.