Rosa Parks Sues Outkast

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by muskiesrock35, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to post this too, but you beat me to it.

A couple of questions.

Will Martin Luther King Jr.'s family now sue U2 for the song MLK?

Is it at all compromising for Rosa Parks to go after OutKast, a band that represents the success and prosperity that people like her fought for in the 50's and 60's?

Will artists now have to provide footnotes with their albums, citing all sources/inspirations/political events, etc....? Where will it end?

To me, this just seems like a silly lawsuit by an old woman who would like to cash in before she dies. The song is by no means slanderous, it's just using her and her story as a historical reference point. It happens all the time in music. Why is this case unique???? Will this lead to a torrent of lawsuits against artists for what are essentially cultural and historical references?

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does she have a beloved daughter named Caroline?

3. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Someone just posted about this on the music boards as well. What about the Neville Brothers' 1989 album "Yellow Moon."

[​IMG]

Track 5: Sister Rosa
    Which is specifically about Rosa Parks, the bus boycott, etc., and contains the line in the much-repeated chorus "Thank you Sister Rosa Parks."

I don't want to bag on a woman I have the utmost respect for . . . but come on.

4. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    The difference of course is that the Neville brothers are broke.

5. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    God this is old news. I am almost sure that they reached an agreement like 2 years ago. Where have you people been?

6. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Apparently on Yahoo! where today's story about the lawsuit came out via Reuters.

But no, this doesn't make you look lazy at all.

7. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Outkast, without a doubt, are the current flavor of the month....

Well said.

As was said earlier, as much respect as I have for Parks and the stand that she took in the 60's, this sucks....

8. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    One might also argue that there is at least a subtle difference between a song that is clearly a tribute to Ms. Parks (Thank You Sister Rosa Parks) and one that bears her name only in the title and contains the lyrics "Ah, ha, hush that fuss. Everybody move to the back of the bus."

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    There were plenty of Super Rich black entertainers in the 1950s. The name Nat King Cole ring a bell?

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Actually I am suing Outkast as well. Their vapid but inhumanly catchy song "Hey ya" has permanently etched my brain.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

now that's funny

12. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Worse yet, that damn song could win a Grammy.

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about you guys, but it makes me want to shake it like a polaroid picture!

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Rosa, What's cooler than cool?

ICE COLD

Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well the news here is the US Supreme Court is allowing the lawsuit to continue.

16. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    You know I just realized that if you get me sh!tfaced, I'm dacin' all over the motherfvckin' joint to that song.