Rooney, Tevez, and Squad Size

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by 433tom, Jul 25, 2007.

1. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Here is an interesting article from MEN where Fergie discusses how he sees Rooney and Tevez partnering up, and his take on the size of the squad. I would see this thread as a place to discuss your opinion on how they fit in together (or not) and your take on how Fergie sees it. As for squad size, it looks like Fergie laments sending so many players out on loan last year, and believes it cost us the Champion's League tie against AC Milan.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...012/1012107_fergie_eyes_tevezrooney_link.html

Oops, I went butterfingered on the thread title. Perhaps a mod could change "ans" to "and".

2. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Wow, SAF wants and has wanted all along Rooney as an out and out striker.

3. biro

biro Member

Oct 3, 2006
    It's too late, an 'expert' on the caff has already decided this is lunacy. He's also saying Rossi will never make it in the same thread.

How blessed we are that so many tactical geniuses favour us with their wise words on the internet...

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I'm probably going to get some bad points for this, but I never really considered Rooney a premier SS anyway, and he could develop other parts of his game to play another role.

I guess having Tevez will hopefully make up for Saha and Rooney's poor finishing. It also gives me hope for Rossi. He still may be sold though, after the season.

5. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tevez is not a prolific goalscorer. It shoudn't matter to us though, as our game is based around spreading the goals throughout the team.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I always figured Tevez would be good for atleast 18 goals in the league alone for us. While Tevez is not a prolific goalscorer, he's still a better finisher (especially inside the box) than Rooney and I'd think in our squad his numbers would increase. I wouldnt be surprised to see us having 3 players in the top 5 of the scoring charts, maybe even 4.

7. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe you've watched more games involving Tevez than I have then, because the games I have seen him in for West ham and Argentina, he seemed a bit hit and miss with his shots (very much like Rooney).

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly. I don't think his finishing is much better than Rooney's.

9. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    How about we go for a 100 goal differential in all competitions!

10. rolfefan1717

rolfefan1717 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Dayton Ohio
    This is an interesting quote from sir alex, "They may not play quite as regularly if they stay with us but I actually think they will develop their game better by training with the first team.

"And, the added advantage is if we do get those injuries again, we will have a much better back-up."How many of you guys think we really would have been better off against ac milan with pique, evans, and rossi? ive re-watched both legs and our biggest problem was our inability to keep possession with the same ease as milan. maybe pique or evans in the back would have helped fill in with the defensive shortage but i realistically don't see how the loanees would have changed anything.

11. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    I think you guys are selling Rooney a bit short. He had 24 goals and did not take penalties or free kicks. I'm not sure if there are many 20+ goal scorers out there who do not take either penalties or free kicks. And he was out of form for half the season. I think Rooney will be a consistent 20+ goal scorer for many years to come.

12. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Fergies point, besides the injuries is that was we were a very tired team by the time we played Milan. Perhaps if our midfielders were spelled a bit more during the season, they would have had the legs for Milan match. This year we also have Hargreaves, Nani, and Anderson, so we should be much fresher come late april and may.

13. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Man...when Rooney is on, he is really on... He had some absolutely phenomenal games this last season.

Hopefully he can keep his form this whole season.

14. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    He meant we wouldn't have to play the same team preceding those important games like Milan. We'd be able to play second layers throughout the earlier part of the year to keep the team fresh.

In actuality, I don't think much of the Milan away game had to do with freshness.

15. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think we'd have lost as badly had Hargreaves been playing that holding role....

16. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    If we gave away none of those 3 silly goals, we would've won. It was just a tragic game, nothing clicked. They were good.

17. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They were good, but two of their chances fell to them because no one was picking up the loose balls on the edge of the area. Both Kaka's and Seedorfs goals (whilest being great finishes) were as a result of giving those players too much space on the edge of the area. That is the area where Hargreaves can help us because that is his role....

18. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If he's ever fit to play...

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    With the number of chances given to him, he should score more. Of course, scoring as many goals, as well as creating as many goals as he has is nothing to sleep on.

But I just think that Tevez is a slighty better finisher.

20. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think people forget how many he sets up. Didn't he get 13 assists last season? I think Man Utd may have it right by spreading the goals across the team with 2 or 3 players each worth 20+ goals..........

21. bitTER

bitTER New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Rooneys was way way below par for large parts of last season. Still 23 goals and 13 or so assists!. Amazing considering he's only 21, was recovering from injury, the emotional pain from being sent off in world cup quarters, non stop football for 4 years. Kids watch some of his games when he's at his best. Absolutely stunning stuff. Me thinks minds have been clouded by an up and down season from him.

22. bitTER

bitTER New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    He's 21. His consistency on that part will improve with age.

23. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It frustrates me that people (mostly non-Man Utd fans) forget that the boy is just 21. 21 and he has 4 seasons under his belt and is already one of the best attackers in the world.

23 goals for a player who broke his foot at the end of the previous season and was shoved into a world cup with little or no preparation at all. He barely hadf time to recover and he was thrown in at the deep end and then sent off.

Had Ronaldo not scored so many last year the press would have been full of praise for the boy. His goal tally has improved season upon season and I think a little patience is needed.

Just think. Alan Shearer is considered one of the greatest centre-forwards ever, yet at the age of 21 he hadn't scored anywhere near as many goals as Rooney for either club nor country. Shearer didn't even hit the big time until he was 24 or 25. People should remember that.

Rooney has been under incredibale pressure since the age of 16 when he made his league debut.

he's a great player. It's a shame that only Man Utd fans see this.....

24. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm an Arsenal supporter...and I see it. I've been enamoured with the kid's game for quite some time, in spite of his antics against us. So much talk is made of footballers who can "do it all." Rooney is the epitome of that. His array of shots, passes, flicks, and tricks is stunning. What makes him special though, is he combines continental flair with English passion and determination. He's had his demons, but he's overcoming them and, though bad news to the Gunners and the rest of the league, is gonna be the best player in the league for the next 5-6 years in my opinion.

25. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Well put.