Rooney didnt deserve that!! [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by jcrocker, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcrocker

jcrocker Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Springboro, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad:

That call is unbelievable!! It changed the game! How the heck is that a Red card???
    He is trying to hold off two defenders and the guy he steps on falls behind him. Ridiculous!!

and if he got a card for pushing Christiano its probably because they are friends and that prick went to the ref to tell him to card Wayne. He should have slugged the sonofabich.

This is nothing like Becks this was a travesty!

2. bracer028

bracer028 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Los Angeles
    no shit...he was surrounded by two players and loses his footing...

if i was rooney, i would have decked out ronaldo

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    as soon as he pushed him I knew he was off. It ought to be a yellow if anything as there's clearly nothing in it, but these days at the world cup, you know you'll get a red for it.

Unlike Beckham in 1998, I don't think he'll get slated for it though.

4. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    England can blame the loss on

1. Rooney Assaulting Carvalho: Should have seen Rooney taken away by cops, not just given a red card! Carvalho's wife must be in tears the guy probably won't be able to have children after that massacre by Rooney on Carvalho's manhood!

2. Sven Goran Eriksson: Somehow made a fortune from England by doing absolutely ______. This was one of the biggest robberies ever. England was robbed by a quiet, no emotion Swede. I can't believe he substituted Joe Cole, Englands most creative player.

3. Lampard: The worlds most overrated player..after Beckham.

5. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i haven't seen the replay but at first i didn't think that the stomp on the portugese player's sensitive areas was intentional.

on the other hand, rooney's reputation as a hot head might have made the ref more likely to believe the worst. either way, rooney might not have anyone to blame for what happened but himself.

disappointing :(

6. Tham

Tham New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Kuala Lumpur
    Portuguese Trickery

It was quite obvious Rooney kind of tripped and fell
    backwards on him, and as he did so, his leg just happened
    to step on that guy's balls. That guy actually tugged Rooney
    backwards to try to frame him.

Typical Portuguese trick - very well trained by Scolari,
    no doubt.

7. Powdered Water

Powdered Water New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Keswick Putney local
    Re: Portuguese Trickery

Personally, I still don't know how much Rooney meant it. In some ways I'm cynical enough (based on Rooney's past) to think he knew what he was up to.

That said I think mobbing of refree by Portugal shouldn't happen at all, certainly to change his mind.

All in all, I reckon Rooney deserved about 70% of it, while the other 30% of it went unfairly against him. And that's assuming he knew what he was doing.

8. bracer028

bracer028 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Los Angeles
    that should have just been a yellow at worst....

i mean that guy pulled rooney, ronaldo pulled rooney

9. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Richard- I got to disagree. It was not a slip, but he went firm into the guy's groin. Only Rooney knows why. Its pretty tough not to call that a red- I can't argue with the ref at all on that.

England just didn't have the quality this go round- largely because Lampard was Chelsea Lampard and Beckham can't play in the heat. Defense was fine, and the role players (like Lennon and Crouch) did their part. But largely, England never showed they deserved to go on (any higher than this) at any stage of the World Cup. Not one convincing performance.

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    That should read Lampard WASN'T Chelsea's Lampard

11. sunny17

sunny17 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    WEST LOZELLS
    LISTEN ROONEY SHOULD HAVE CONTROL HIMSELF yellow OR RED. THE REF WAS FAIR - ROONEY WAS PUSHING RONALDO(infront of the ARGI) AFTER HE COMMITTED A CLEAR FOUL

WHY ARE WE CURSED!!!:mad:

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he may or may or not have done. the fact is the ref didn't look like booking rooney until the push, therefore I'd say the push got him sent off, not rooney's attempt to give Carvalho genital piercings with his studs.

13. lackadaisical

lackadaisical Member

Jul 9, 2004
    memphis
    I thought it was a pretty obvious groin stomp.

14. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    I'm sure he'll get what's coming his way next time he trains for Man U.

15. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i understand and sort of agree... Wayne must realize that rightly or wrongly his reputation as a bit of a hothead precedes him... he's got to be a bit more careful. pushing cristiano ronaldo (i think) after the play, probably didn't help matters... :(

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very obvious. He didn't lose his footing. He was tussling with the defender, and when the defender went down, he took an opportunity to get a little "shot" in, thinking that he could get away with it. Bottom line, a red was warranted. Rooney blew it.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I DVR'd the game, and watched it several times. Once I knew what to look for, I could see Rooney's foot accelerate as it was coming down in a way it would never, ever do if he was just putting his foot to the ground.

That's my view, anyway. YMMV.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible the 4th official had a better view and communicated with him via the headset? I'm not up on the mechanics of the situation.

19. ulji

ulji Red Card

Aug 1, 2005
    I have not seen the match but I am 100% sure that he would not have sent him off if Rooney were a Swiss.

Not endorsing nor condemning the decision itself but commenting on what kind of person Elizondo is.

20. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The reff was right on top of the play, so it's his decision.

Whether Ronaldo said to book him or not is regardless. I saw plenty of English players asking for cards too, but I didn't see anyone go to push them. :rolleyes:

Was it worthy of a red-card? I'm sure for Carvalho it was, that must've hurt.

In Rooney's defence, he DID get the ball... Not the right one though...

I dunno about all this talk of the fourth reff, the reff was RIGHT on top of the call, really, he didn't need to consult with anyone. Maybe he asked over the headset what card to give, but really, he was right on top of the play himself to make the call.

Wouldn't surprise me if it came for something coming out of Rooney's mouth, pushing Ronaldo probably didn't help him any. But friends or not, it's regardless. Neville claimed he didn't foul Ronaldo a ton of times, and their team-mates, I didn't see Ronaldo pushing or getting in a hissy-fit over it. (Except once, but that wasn't because of Neville)

In the end, it comes down to keeping your nerves, and Rooney didn't do it and that obviously didn't help him pleading his case. The best way to argue with the reff, generally, is to be polite at least, not go and push an opposing player. :rolleyes:

21. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Total bollocks.

22. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    You are right.

Some people are trying to trick themselves.

That is about as obvious as it gets. A frustrated lone striker let his emotions get the best of him. Pretty idiotic play with the referee 4 feet away. He must have learned that from Beckham.

Also, why play with one forward Sven???????????

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    For years on the English boards (and World Rivalries), we have seen English (and other fans) stand on the larger arguments of 'who is the better team', 'who has more talent'....all things that didn't necessarily have to do with the scoreline of a particular game or game(s) of a tournament.

This 'card' got played a lot after the Euro 2004 tournament after the shock Greece win. A lot of 'I told you so's' after Greece couldn't qualify for the WC ('see, it was just a team with a good run, good run of luck, etc.').

Taking this higher road, its clear that- regardless of the Rooney play- England just weren't good enough. They just weren't. So the whole Rooney thing is kindof mute. It doesn't matter on the higher argument/higher plain. They couldn't even play one good, full match. Therefore, the fact that they are out should not be a shock, nor anything but a realistic interpretation of what their true quality level is (vis-a-vis) the rest of the world.

Back to work time for England (and a bunch of other nations) I'm afraid. Good nucleus to build on (for England), but Lampard has a shockingly disappointing Cup (I'm less disappointed in Beckham, who clearly peaked 4-5 years ago).

24. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    He was faking it! He doesn't have any balls.

25. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You won't mind if I ask you not to post in here for a while will you?