Rongen = Idiot

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by doneshufflin, Oct 11, 2003.

1. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Thomas Rongen is the U-20 coach and he also does broadcasts for DC United. He knows what kind of trouble we are having with our midfield with injuries and what not. So why the hell has he called up Convey for a mid-week friendly for the U-20 side?

http://www.dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=208229

A few days ago he cut Adu and now this. I really hated the ars when he was DC's coach and now he has pulled two awful coaching moves. I really wish he would be banned from US Soccer for good. I know there are at least two to three other coaches that are more qualified than him to run a youth program. One would be Mooch Myernick and the other would be any monkey found at a local zoo.

2. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte

You for got OTC

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    You're referring to Bobby Convey, the captain of the U-20 side right? For the only friendly before the tournament begins for real? On a FIFA week?

Seems pretty clear to me.

Sachin

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The title of this thread ...

It's just like old times. ;)

5. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why you guys in DC hired him AFTER he spent 2 years driving the Revs into the ground is a mystery STILL waiting to be explained.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Didn't Rongen lead New England to its first ever playoff appearance his first season with the team?

7. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first season's were always magic

96 TB 20-12

New England

99 DC MLS Cup

It was the rest of the time that he sucked

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And sadly, so is the way I feel tonight.

9. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Give me a break. You're bitching because he called Convey up? And your'e blaming our loss on him? Come off it. Convey is not an integral player for our team. He has not come close to fulfilling any of the promise he's ever shown. We'll be lucky when somoeone else (Tottenham, perhaps) takes him off our hands. I like Bobby tremendously, but he has never helped us, and never will.

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    He's certainly done more than a few other players on this team.

11. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    " We Hold These Truths to be Self Evident...."

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    For old time's sake ...

The DC United Declaration of Independence
    AT BIGSOCCER.COM, June 9, 2001.

The unambiguous Declaration of the Fans of Washington DC United,

When in the Course of soccer events, it becomes necessary for one team to dissolve the professional bands which have connected it with a coach, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the noble and mighty station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle it, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires a declaration of the causes which impel this separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that DC United is without equal, that it is endowed by its Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are dominating play, winning seasons, and the Happiness of being champions. -- That to secure these rights, Coaches are hired, deriving their just powers from the consent of the team and the fans, -- That whenever any Coach becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the team and Fans to alter or to abolish him, and to institute a new Coach, laying his foundation on such principles and organizing his powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Success and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Coaches long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that fans are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce the team and Fans to absolute Wretchedness, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such a Coach, and to provide a new Coach for their future success. -- Such has been the patient sufferance of the players and fans of DC United; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Coaching. The history of the present Coach of DC United is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of absolute Misery in the team and the Fans. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has ransacked a once great squad, leaving it a shadow of its former self.

He has humiliated young players by belittling their performance on the field in the press, thereby robbing them of confidence.

He has refused to play team members in their natural positions and so confounded and retarded their development.

He has failed to take responsibility for the injurious effects of his coaching techniques.

He has declined to field a consistent line-up, causing the team to adapt continually to his arbitrary governance.

He has destroyed the confidence of a once promising goal keeper by always saying the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time.

He has unjustly blamed the team members, for whose play he is ultimately responsible, for not performing well.

He has lied to cover up strategic mistakes in his substitutions.

He has smoked Tobacco, while purporting to be a leader of athletes. (EdTheRed)

He has destroyed the team that has the best collection of players in MLS. (mdesimone1)

He has failed to provide the leadership necessary for a team that still is rebuilding its identity. (Sachin)

He has mocked a tradition of excellence on and off the field of play through his negligent coaching techniques. (Sachin)

He has neglected to foster a strong defense, forcing the team to suffer the indignity of a high goals against average. (JAnderson14)

He has failed to insure adequate match fitness in the squad, effecting late match meltdowns.

He has deserted press conferences, evidencing a lack of profesionalism.

He has ceased to hold the traditional "D.C. United Invitational" at the conclusion of the MLS season, the MLS Cup is now held instead. (Kati Pond)

He has sullied the hallowed grounds of RFK by flicking cigarette butts onto the sacred turf. (mcontento)

He has caused intestinal discomfort in all DC United fans, big and small, young and old. (Brian J. Shea)

He has endeavored to subject the fans and players of DC United to decisions devoid of reason, and acknowledged as harmful; effecting wrath from all supporters:

For never playing the rookies in 1999 in order to gain game experience with plenty of veteran support.

For inspiring DC United to become a thug team, vying for league leaders in fouls committed.

For expecting every player to respond to public humiliation by improving their game.

For not recognizing players inabilities and working to improve them or work around them.

For not recognizing how to make a substitution.

For allowing Marco Etcheverry to make the same set play for the last two years.

For saying that inter-team fighting was a good thing.

For creating a defense with national team players that was more porous than a colander.

For never taking responsibility for the failure of the team.

For not resigning after the 2000 season.

For not resigning now! (B. T. Beach)

In every stage of these Oppressions We fans of DC United have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Coach whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Failure, is unfit to be the coach of our noble team. Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our General Manager. We have informed him from time to time of attempts by this Coach to extend unwarrantable suffering over us. We have reminded him of the circumstances of our support and our love for the team. We have appealed to his native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured him by the ties of our common devotion to DC United to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. He too has been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold the Coach, as we hold the rest of our adversaries, an Enemy on and off the field.

We Fans of Washington DC United, therefore, in General Congress Assembled at BigSoccer.com, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good Fans of this team, solemnly publish and declare, That DC United must, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent of Thomas Rongen; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to that Dutch coach, and that all professional connection between DC United and the man from the State of The Netherlands, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as a Free and Independent Soccer Team, DC United may once again have the full Power to play a beautiful game, score goals, dominate opponents, win trophies, gain international prominence, and to do all other Acts and Things which Great Soccer Teams may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

13. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all verkempt.

14. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    I am not blaming anything on him. I am just saying that he was very inconsiderate to call in an important player for a team making a playoff run. Oh by the way Sachin this was a friendly and not a match of any importance. The fifa competition is months away. So suck me beautiful.

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Boy does this bring back a memory. All we need is a picture of the plane!

Sachin

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Adu shouldn't be a suprise. And Convey's the squad's captain. He's still an idiot but for those reasons.

17. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Rongen's being a sometime announcer does not mean that he has any responsibility whatsoever for DC United. His job is to do everything he can to further the prospects of the U20 team, and if that means calling up Convey or anyone else at any time, then it is his job to do it. It is MLS's job to start taking into account international dates when drawing up its own schedule.

For example, we had two bye-weeks during the season, for what reason I couldn't fathom at the time. RFK certainly was available, so we could have had home games. It would have been far better, IMO, for MLS to have simply taken two weeks off mid-summer to alleviate at least some of the conflict with the Gold Cup & Confederations Cup. If not then, then this past weekend.

I noticed a Post article quoting Ray on his displeasure with Nelsen's being called up. Ray asked whether NZ would call up someone from ManU. He overlooked the fact that it wouldn't have made any difference if they did, since the EPL took the weekend off because of all the internationals.

MLS certainly has constraints that prevent its taking every international date off, so conflicts are inevitable. But they don't even appear to do what they can do to minimize the disruption.

18. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    In reference to the Ryan/NZ and Man United call up reference...not only do they have the international dates off, they also have rosters large enough to have players they can call on to step in and fill the void without much lost (and that is for most if not all teams around the world).

These call ups would not be so bad if we could have a desent roster and reserve team and a salary cap allowing it to be filled with equitible backups. However this is MLS and the league can't afford anything like that, but they can alteast try and help with the fixtures.

19. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Of course, you could've just taken a page from Big O and said "CAST IN THE NAME OF GOD : YE GUILTY" for all the listed sins, since Rongen was not the Dominus of United. Of course, that's assuming that DCU is a giant robot, which it isn't.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. I have to 2nd your thoughts.

21. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Rongen as an announcer

The reason that I mentioned him being an announcer was to point out that Rongen knows first hand what DC has gone through. I wasn't trying to say he has any responsibility for the team, but thanks for stating the obvious.

22. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    These problems are because DC fired Rongen. They never should have fired him. Shooting him would have cured everything.

23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Couldn't disagree more after I heard his interview on the Soccer Show many months ago (one of the few broadcasts where the mix was audible). He knows the game, and is a very bright individual. His choices for our Jr. international teams have been very astute. Don't forget Convey needs as much international exposure as possible after the EPL debacle. Thomas is right in doing this for him. United is stewing in the pot right now for lots of reasons other than Rongen calling up Convey.

24. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Rongen = Idiot

Listen, I agree that Convey needs all the confidence and exposure he can get, but not in the middle of a playoff run for his club team. Also calling Rongen a bright individual is laughable. The only reason he ever won the MLS Cup was because he had left over talent from the Arena Dynasty. I don't have any respect for his soccer knowledge and also I believe there are several other coaches that are more qualified than him. It is a shame Clive Charles past away. He would have been great for the U-20 side.

25. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Having met Tommy at a couple post match events, I would have to say that he's one heck of a good guy.

BUT, I have to say I love the tandem of Trask and Hudson.