Ronaldo Says

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by reelmaad, Jan 17, 2006.

1. reelmaad

reelmaad New Member

Oct 22, 2004
  2. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That was pretty boring. Ronaldo must be very tired of answering the same questions everyday.

However, I didn't know about that story of Barcelona's president lying to him.
    Who has more info on that?

3. Madridi

Madridi Member

Sep 15, 2005
    The 971
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    what did he mean by this??:

SI.com: After losing to France in the World Cup final you were quoted as saying, "We lost the World Cup but I won another cup -- my life." What did you mean by that?

Ronaldo: I prefer not to speak about what happened that day, but I was scared when I was living in that situation. We did not know what was happening and, obviously, now we can say that life goes on.

4. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    I don't remember the specifics but he was going through psychological problems at the time if I recall. I think he suffered a nervous break down.

5. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
  6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nah its definitely true. i remember hearing all sorts of strange rumors, stuff like Nike made him play??? and all that. Obviously that hasn't been verified. I think it was more that Ronaldo chose to play. There really has to be something wrong for anyone to miss the World Cup Final.

7. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    There was something very wrong. After his meal, he suffered from severe convulsions, became unconscious, and thus, in the process feared for his life. That is why he says I gained another cup, my life..

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think I'm misinterpreted. What I mean is that, the rumors said Nike made Ronaldo play after he had the convulsions. Everybody knows that after something like this you should not play, even if you are physically fine you are mentally weak. I don't believe the NIke shhit....I think Ronaldo after the convulsions decided to play anyway.

9. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    You're probably right. Ronaldo went to the hospital when the Brazilian team was at the stadium practising. He was declared fit so he came to the stadium and was drafted into the team half-an-hour before the match in place of Edmundo. He was definitely not in the right physical/mental condition to play in the final of the WC.

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    yeah i guess Brazil thought that an unfit Ronaldo was better than another fit player of lesser quality. Hey wait a minute...we do that at Madrid too! (sorry i couldn't resist)

11. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    I went through a bunch of online news articles recently from 1998. What happened (or at least, what they say happened) was that he had a seizure.

It still really confuses me. Full of mystery indeed. Particularily with how he speaks of it to this day.

There is one article if anyone is curious.

R Carlos says Ronaldo was crying late into the night over the pressure? And that they called the doctor because he seemed to be getting quite sick. Yet other accounts (such as Ronaldo) say that he was sleeping, and the convulsions started when he was sleeping. :confused:

Apparently, the Brazilian team woke in the middle of the night to shouts in the hotel of "he's dead!"

And some British neurologist said that it would be highly unlikely for anyone to be able to perform optimally (sport) hours after their first seizure.

12. born2dream

born2dream New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    Sofia
    I know it sounds a bit weird but... Maybe he was not destined to play in that final. Maybe if he played he would have broken his leg... Who knows. He won the 2002 WC so I don't think that he has a lot of regrets for the missed final...

13. forcamadrid

forcamadrid Member

May 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What are you saying? He played in the final, but was not noticed. Also, I remember that in that final he had a concussion with Bartez early in the match.

14. reelmaad

reelmaad New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    He wasn't completely unnotice....he had at least two shots that scared the bejezzes out of the French...

That French keeper would make an awesome NFL player....what a hit