Ronaldo or Romario? Opinions from non-Brazilians

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by astinus4, May 23, 2010.

?

Romario or Ronaldo? Who was better (for non Brazilians)

1. Romario

31.9%
  2. Ronaldo

68.1%
  1. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank you very much.

Why did it take you so long to admit it?

Take it or leave it? As if I am the one who's got a problem with Ronaldo losing a league title.

I don;t even care about Barca for starters.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    NO you are the one who against the FACT, Barca lost liga , NOT Ronaldo

Why it took you so long to see it?

3. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Barca lost la liga, not Ronaldo?

And for whom did Ronaldo play then.

I'm sorry but are we talking about a different Ronaldo. Perhaps, since there are so many of them.

Didn't he wear the Barca jersey?

What are you smoking mate?

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I repeat the 10th time and (last here) because they lost it without him playing!

Now IF ...in case Ronaldo was playing (last 3 games ) and Barca still lost to Real then I may agree that ... Ronaldo was not good enough to deliver Barca the title by HIMSELF ... but fact said its' NOT the case.

======================================

It's so FUNNY with people having DOUBLE STANDARD.
    In WC94, some of you always Cried : "Ronaldo did not win WC94, since he did not play single game"

and here the team LOST (as he did not play) and you still POUR the LOST on him?

So FUNNY

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Anyway, even the so called "greatest team in history" lost to Hercules, so Barca 97 should not be so ashamed:

Sep 11, 2010 8:06:00 PM

[​IMG]
    Hercules Coach Esteban Vigo: We Will Remember The Day We Beat Barcelona

Barcelona suffered the shock of the day as newly-promoted Hercules ran out 2-0 winners at Camp Nou on Saturday thanks to two goals from Nelson Valdez.

After the game visiting coach Esteban Vigo - who had previously said that he'd set his team out to win, not draw - was understandably delighted.

"This is a day this club will remember," he told the EFE agency.

"We did very well understanding Barcelona's style of play, and we made things very difficult for them."

However, the former Barcelona player refused to get carried away.

"It's an historic day, but it's just three points," he warned.

"Right now I'm delighted, and this will stay in my resume as a coach, but let's remember that we've won nothing yet and on Monday it'll all be gone."

=========================================================

this is Barca 2010 with 11 worldclass players (3 best players in TOP3 Ballon dors) in the team -

6. riflex

riflex Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

This is true, small players have a good advantage in football.

For some physical reasions:

- a low center of gravity, allows them to have more grip on the ground
    - sometime are quickness and have more acceleration.
    - better ball control, because they are more closest to the ball, and often have a higher frequency of legs.
    -are able to imprint more precision in the ball.

this is not true for everyone. of course there are exceptions like Ronaldo, Crujiff, Savicevic, Stojkovic, Laudrup, Suarez and others that are capable to running at high speeds with the ball close to the foot, with a great ability in dribbling.

Ronaldo, Laudrup and Suarez are talls but they have a lower center of gravity.
    the difference between a player 1.70 and a player of 180 is not so great in dribbling.

A player of 1.90 have a great the disadvantaged and must use his immagination.
    Good Examaple are Cr7 and Ibra.

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Why are you so certain? That year Valencia was quite strong and the year before Sociedad (one of Fuentes his first projects in football, as turned out later) almost made it.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Because it was obvious the balance of the team was screwed up. Think about it, you replace Makelele with Beckham ? As hardworking as Beckham was, he was no DM. As a result they conceded more goals. Valencia conceded 27, Barca 39, La Coruna 34, Madrid 54 that season. And while it's true their offense stalled late in the season, I think the defense was the biggest problem. Keep in mind Madrid was actually leading La Liga for at least half the competition if I remember correctly. Then they started leaking more goals and the offense did stall somewhat (compared to the previous year). Look at how Makelele helped Chelsea.

And I am not even mentioning the fact that Florentino fired a coach who had just won La Liga who happens to be a great coach (Del Bosque).

Of course it's not a guarantee, but Florentino's fingerprints into the failure are clear IMO and I think Madrid had a good chance of winning again had he not stuck his hands in.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #2584 PuckVanHeel, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    I agree with your concise description but it were strange years around that time. It saw clubs as Depor, Valencia or Real Sociedad cracking the 'iron' top two and I'm not sure whether Makelele could have changed that.

They were actually #1 in 2003-04 after the 31st round had been completed. They screwed up the rest and ended fourth after 38 rounds. In total, at the season with Beckham but without Del Bosque, Hierro and such, they led the table for 18 rounds.

Meanwhile, in the season with Makelele and Del Bosque they were trailing until the 24th round. The 24th round was the first time in 2002-03 that they led the table. Afterwards they lost it to (Fuentes' prototype) Sociedad after the end of the 33rd, only retaining the 1st place in the 37th round. In total, they led the table for 12 rounds (out of 38).
    http://www.bdfutbol.com/en/t/t2002-032.html

10. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #2585 leadleader, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    And?

With Ronaldo they lost and drew games that Barcelona should've won. Furthermore, "winning streaks" are streaks precisely because they end at some point.

All the actual data points towards the exact opposite of what James claims would've happened. The chances of (a) Barca --with Ronaldo-- winning against Hercules and (b) Real Madrid --with Redondo and Seedorf-- loosing the title against Celta..... is just very very unlikely.

According to you, I should apologize..... Again, there are times when you say things that make little sense, if any.

Yeah because Pele, Cruijf, Best, Van Basten, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Riquelme, Ibrahimovic, Berbatov, etc, are all small and stocky players..... right? Oh well, I guess it's more "impressive" when Messi does the roulette, rather than when Zidane does the roulette, right?

Small and stocky players tend to have certain characteristics that bigger players do not have, but "better ball control" is not one of those characteristics, as far as I'm concerned.

Aggression? Well I disagree, sir. Almost every time that you respond to me, you do so in order to voice your disagreement concerning whatever it was that I said. Rarely, do you ever respond to me, to voice your agreement or to say something that isn't "against" my claim. It's rather amusing how you asked me to apologize, considering the private message that you once sent to my inbox, a most childish private message for which you never offered any sort of apology.

And it's even more amusing, how you talk about "aggression", considering the many distasteful things you have said about the South American continent, as well as other distasteful things that you have said about European countries as well.

Tell me, kind sir, if I am a "very aggressive" person, what would that make you?

11. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ceasefire....ceasefire...

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #2587 JamesBH11, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    Look I do not just play with plain words (like you) , I provided more than dozen of games with Ronaldo Barca got >= 2.5points pergame (not only one or two but STATS, and those 10 teams were average #12 ) Guess what out of those 10.11 games, Barca with Ronaldo LOST ONLY 1 game !

and BOUM, without Ronaldo the same team lost to #21 in the MOST CRITICAL MOMENT do or die game OK?

==============================================

For your info, Messi Xavi Iniesta and all also LOST to a Hercule (lig B at time) with 2-0 ( Messi did NOTHING) - at least Ronaldo socred 1goal in a lost 2-3 in their first encounter (not yet important)
    Now I am very reasonable to say, Barca with Messi lost such game that was a "not so important" game ,,,, and no shame. What I talked about is : LEGENDS DELIEVR when the team need ....
    So in next game around, Messi came back and scored a brace to win over Hercule 3-0. So the same "fashion" you could imagine if Barca 97 would play with a RONALDO fully fit in that game *do or die ... vs Hercule (not like the previuos game they lost 6 months ago)

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Because posters like you do not deserve it, contrary to others.

You think Europe is a continent going down the drain... That says it all.

Basically, you are a very sad and continuously aggressive poster, and the various things you have said towards James are really below any level.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For the record, esp. for leadleader, the match of super-hyped Colombia yesterday against a 10-men reserve team of the Netherlands, aided by allowed hacking (referee was a German ;) ), showed how overrated the South American continent is. Also against the Belgians it was a rough and poor display by the Colombians despite the 0:2 win.
    Yes, maybe the hyped Colombians will do well at their own continent but if the following tournament had been granted to Europe, these media darlings would not even survive the first group stage.

Overhyped Colombians, Overhyped South Americans!

And oh well, the so called "best striker on the planet" was no match for a youngster with four league matches for Ajax as experience. Nuff said.

15. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You mean like "Do or Die" when NT98 needed him in the most important match (final) of WC98?

What about "do or die" when NT02 needed him vs England? Where was his goals and assists in that match? Did he do your LEGENDS-DELIVER-thing in those matches?

Not such a legend after all, innit?

16. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The more I read some comments here the more I get the feeling that some regard R9 as an untouchable flawless striker.

In spite of being a prolific striker, which he was for sure, he is far from being flawless or untouchable.

R9 missed more then once to deliver when it was needed on an international stage.

1. WC98 final (most famous example. Some conveniently prefer to forget it. See no evil, hear no evil, feel no evil?)
    2. Brazil vs England WC02 (during the entire match he touched the ball only twice, was stopped in both occasions)
    3. In all Brazil vs France matches (either official matches or friendlies)

Romario remained scoreless in WC943 final but at least he scored a PK in that same match to help Brazil win the WC, and in that act he righteously redeemed himself in the only WC he ever played as a starter.

You give Romario 10 seasons he will win 6 to 7 of them (leagues and top scorer)
    You give Ronaldo 10 seasons he will win only 1

And this is a true story.

The same can be said in comparison with a few other strikers of R9 class.

Anyway, I am done with this thread.

It took too long and the whole initiative is lost.

Merry-go-round is an understatement for this.

Have a nice debate further, but I am going to be off the hook for a few weeks. To busy with the life at moment.

Till soon

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Troll baiting :rolleyes:; while I agree that Colombia did not look exceptional against the Dutch (but neither the Netherlands played anywhere near great), Colombia made Belgium look like a minnow with hardly an effort. Also, Chile easily outplayed England for a win, so it's clear that the SA sides are strong with the added advantage of playing in South America next year.

As for Radamel Falcao, I do feel he is a tad overrated (not that he's a bad player), to me Colombia's key players are James Rodriguez and Gutierrez.

leadleader repped this.
  18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Really doubt whether you have actually seen the match because it was played alongside the play-off games and more fancied fixtures like England-Germany.
    I tell you that I did, and of course 'my' team did not play great. Certainly not with a B team (or C team even) and playing with 10 men for 60 minutes.
    It will give me tremendous joy if these typically hyped Americanos flop.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn't watch England vs Germany, but I saw extended highlights of Colombia vs Netherlands. The send off seemed justified and perhaps it was due by then. Anyways, it was in the Netherlands, so they enjoyed home field advantage.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    You really have a different perception. About the Belgium game: Belgium had more possession and more shots. Colombia was just more efficient, like they themselves said. It wasn't for sure the case that "Colombia made Belgium look like a minnow". And for all the flavourish hype, Colombia needed way more fouls as well.
    Secondly, you have probably missed the hacking by the Colombian before the retaliation took place, which resulted in a red. Both deserved a red. Either you did not see it or you don't want to.

Too bad that these darlings have gotten a seed. And this generation is supposed to be better than the one of Valderrama and Rincon, yeah right.

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    ONly a HATER would blame a sick player NOT to deliver ... Can he? Well if he was sick and still deliver in WC98 final, maybe he would even surpass PELE (injured WC66) and Maradona (not fully fit WC90)????

Like none sense people who lacked of knowledge and BLINDED BIASED would blame on Pele and Maradona at WC66/90 OK???

Now the one is to blame was FAILED in his BEST FORM, at both MOST IMPORTANT games WC94 and UCL 94 final OK?

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You can make all the excuses you want, Colombia completely outplayed Belgium in their own home and the result usually does not lie. None of the Belgians shot troubled Colombia by the way.

If Romario failed at the CL final stage, Ronaldo FAILED at the CL Round of 16 stage (Juve was his daddy :laugh:)

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    NONE SENSE are always lacked of INFO:

in UCL SEMIFINAL game 2003: Ronaldo scored and won over JUve first leg. second leg (was injured on bench) and when the team NEEDED him, he came in at 70th mins and immediately won a PK= which Figo blew up. That PK goal was PRICELESS away goal to win! Del Bosque made a huge mistake to let Figo take PK for the team instead of the "pros" in Zidane and Ronaldo!

So Real MISSED the UCL03 final game (by Figo failure PK, NOT by Ronaldo even he was not fit)

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He still lost to Juventus in other seasons, and the difference is that Juventus side was good but not legendary like AC Milan during Romario's time in Europe.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    ONCE AGAIN, MIS INFO as usual!

The legendary AC MILAN team were DONE by end of 1992
    - when both Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard STOPPED playing for the team) OK?
    - Even so, that game Milan missed their BEST player in Baresi --- Still Romario could not find the net!!!