Ronaldo News, Facts and Rumors

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Marcio, Jul 25, 2002.

1. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
  2. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Please read these two article galera.

Ronaldo, in his own words, talking about the Confeds Cup, racism, Zico/Maradona, etc.:

http://noticias.bol.com.br/esportes/2005/05/25/ult92u89582.jhtm
    I was enjoying the article until this little exchange....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Folha - Consegue entender essa onda de racismo no futebol?
    Ronaldo - Não consigo. Mas também não acho que no futebol aquelas atitudes são somente racismo. Às vezes, os torcedores pegam no pé para implicar com os jogadores. Acreditam que aquele atleta pode perder o controle.
    Question : Can you make sense of this wave of racism in footbal?
    Ronaldo: No. But I also think that its not strictly racism. At times fans want to destabalize the player. They believe athletes can lose control.

Folha - O Samuel Eto'o [artilheiro do Barcelona] é um dos que mais sofrem...
    Ronaldo - Acho que todos os negros sofrem. Eu, que sou branco, sofro com tamanha ignorância. A solução é educar as pessoas.
    Question - Etoo is one that suffers this the most...
    Ronaldo - I think all black players suffer. I - who am white - even suffer with this level of this ignorance. The solution is to educate people.

Folha - Já passou por isso?
    Ronaldo - Não diretamente, mas me ofende quando ocorre com um amigo meu. Comigo o preconceito é outro. Aliás, é bem menos grave. As pessoas me chamam aqui de gordinho. Mas não me incomoda.

Question: Have you had to endure this?
    Ronaldo: Not directly, but am offended when it occurs to a friend. With me prejudice takes another form. Less serious obviously. People call me "fat". This doesn't bother me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well. He doesn't suffer racial prejudice, and now he is white. Can someone post pictures of both his parents for discussion purposes.

Interestingly, a Lance reporter making a profound (in my opinion) comment on Ronaldo's new found identity: http://lancenet.ig.com.br/news/hoje/colunistas/col/JCA10.htm
    Below is a translation of part of the article.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Em "O Negro no Futebol Brasileiro", obra de Mário Filho que foi editada pela primeira vez em 1947, há uma frase que chama a atenção: "Eu, que já fui preto, sei o que é isso."

In the book "The Negro in Brasilian Football", 1947 first edition, there is a phrase that captures the attention" "I - who once was black- know what this is about."

Não consigo lembrar quem foi o autor, teria que ler o livro mais uma vez, mas ela me veio à cabeça depois de ler declaração de Ronaldo ao repórter Sérgio Rangel, da "Folha de S.Paulo": "Eu, que sou branco, sofro com tamanha ignorância". O Fenômeno falava sobre racismo e dizia que o único preconceito de que era vítima era ser chamado de gorducho.

I don't remember who was the author of that phrase, would have to read the book once again, but this came to mind as soon as I read Ronaldo's declarations to the reporter Sergio Rangel. "I, who am white, even suffers with this ignorance." - O Fenomeno was speaking of racism and claimed thea the only real prejudice from which he suffered was to be called "fat".

Apesar de questionada por alguns sociólogos, para os quais a obra de Mário Filho tem pouco rigor científico e carece de maior fundamentação, ela continua atual. Se em outros tempos jogadores usavam gorros para esconder o cabelo crespo ou alisavam o cabelo, caso de Friedenreich, ou ainda se maquiavam com pó-de-arroz, para embranquecer, hoje não é muito diferente. A sociedade continua a exigir que eles mudem de cor e não são poucos os que entram na dança. Não que Ronaldo fosse obrigado a levantar bandeiras, mas em vez de fazer marketing no Oriente Médio poderia se preocupar com questões que estão mais perto dele do que pensa. Ou, talvez, do que queira pensar.

Despite Mario Filho's book holding little scientific rigour for some sociologist, it [the condition] exists today. If in other times players used hair nets to hide their curly hair or processed their hair [artificial straigthening] in the case of Friedenreich, or used powder to whiten their faces, today it is not much different. Society still demands that they change color and its more than a few than join the dance.

Not that Ronaldo is required to raise the flag, but rather than preoccupy himself with Marketing in the middle east, he could spend time with issues that hit closer to home than he realizes. Or maybe, that he wishes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm at work, but will come back to explain why this is just further reason why Ronaldo, as much as I love him and root for him, can never be number 1 in my heart.

3. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Maybe in Brazil they consider 'black' to be near purely African really dark complexion? Or no?

But even then, why would he call himself white...

4. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Tpmazembe,

I'm sure you'll remember that a few months ago there was a thread on World Rivalries about a correlated subject. We had a debate on black, white and mixed people in Brazil. Mixed people live in some kind of limbus, a border region in the Latin sense of the word where their identity is in constant challenge. I remember that I posted a rhetorical question: Is Ronaldo black? Is he white? Does it matter?

Well, I really don't think it matters. But at the same time I was disappointed when I read his interview last Wednesday. Why? Well, as I perceived it then, it sounded an attempt to convince himself by convincing the others, a self-confirmatory stereotype.

I think we have to face and fight our personal devils.

5. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Neovox, good thoughts. Will add to your comments in a thought-out manner as soon as possible (work is in the way). I echo most of your sentiments, but will bring out some more to consider (at least they are relevant to me).

Meanwhile, here are two picks of his father. By the way I've met him (the father), and he certainly is black.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    What a sad story. How must his dad feel? :(

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That is incredibly sad. You are what you are... the skin is a color. People look at the color of your skin and may jump to any conclusions but that is out of their ignorance.

8. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Galera, my girlfriend, uma Carioca da Gema, just read the article and is convinced that this is a fabrication of the reporter, or a terrible misquote.

She grew in Penha, about 20 minutes from Bento Ribeiro - Ronaldo's home town - and is familiar with some of his extended family. Assures me that there is no way on God's green earth (her words) that he would ever deny his roots. According to her, this would be akin to a slap in the face to his local community, and would be inconceivable, as well as out of character.

Could it be?

9. reelmaad

reelmaad New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Sounds like it was taken out of context or one of those situation where the writer use the wrong descriptive word....

10. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I hope so. If so the rest of my post is moot.

Agreed.

Most biologists will tell you that race is an abstract concept. That, despite our external physical differences, human beings are all alike in every material way. We also know that all people want and aspire to the basics in life, including the betterment of their family and offspring. It matters not one bit what race or color we are.

Additionally, Ronaldo, or any other person, has the right to consider themselves whatever they choose to be. If he wants to be Asian tomorrow that's his business.

But we also live in the real world - where perceptions, self-esteem, socialization, educational and job opportunities are affected by race. That's why I can't ignore Ronaldo's comments (if proven to be true).

[Nor could the young Lance columnist who wrote the piece I linked earlier]

When he makes comments like those, how does it affect the self esteem of kids that look like him and idolize him?

When he claims that racist chants are not thrown his way, he can only be fooling himself. I've seen RM games were both he and R.Carlos got the hissing and monkey chants. Has he so convinced himself of his "non-blackness" that he believes the chants are for someone else?

Of course today, as an international superstar, he doesn’t feel discrimination. At this point in his life he transcends race. Even the most anti-black racist would probably love to have dinner with Michael Jordan. But, you think that where he grew up Ronaldo never felt the stigma?

Does he forget the humiliation his own family members endured just 3 years ago? Ronaldo had purchased a penthouse in a luxury condominium in Barra da Tijuca (Rio). Seems that one day his sister and aunt went to the apartment for a family gathering. Security denied them entry because residents had been complaining that the building was being frequented by people of “low class, and slum dwellers.” You can figure out the euphemism on your own.

Imagine that, his own sister.

Not only that, in the past another aunt, whom was living in the apartment as a favor to Ronaldo, had been advised by a tenant to start using the service elevator. For those of you not familiar, service elevators are typically used by the hired help in these condos (as well as for moving, and in some cases when returning soaked from the day at the beach residents will voluntarily use the service elevator as well). Basically the service elevators are used to keep the aesthetics of the building clean. Go figure.

Don’t believe? Here’s a couple of links.

http://midiaindependente.org/pt/red/2002/12/43459.shtml

Ronaldo ameaça processar condomínio na Barra por racismo

Segundo o assessor do jogador, Rodrigo Paiva, a irmã de Ronaldo Ione e a tia Dirce foram impedidas de entrar no condomínio Golden Green no último final de semana porque os moradores alegaram que o prédio estava sendo "mal frequentado por pessoas de baixo nível, suburbanas e faveladas".

http://www.diarioon.com.br/arquivo/3204/esportes/esportes-1831.htm
    http://www.noolhar.com/opovo/opiniao/208578.html

Thankfully, his sister and mother made a public stink about it that made headlines in Rio at the time. Ronaldo even threatened to sue the condo for racism. Could he have forgotten?

You know, my girlfriend must be right; these comments attributed to him must be distorted.

I’ll leave it at that then, because I would only be burdening the thread with my personal issues.

[Neovox, you know what they say….if you want to know whether you are considered black or white, try entering a luxury hotel or condominium. You’ll soon get your answer.]

Suffice to say that if he did mouth those words, Ronaldo, though he owes me absolutely nothing, would have seriously disappointed me…..

Hope he scores 3 more goals against Argentina on June 8th.

11. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Tpmazembe,

your post covers the subject in a way that it would be impossible for a thoughtful mind to disagree. Well, even an unthoughtful mind would soon agree. :)

For me it seems that Ronaldo, the smiling good guy, is going through a bad moment in his personal life. Somehow his problems seem to be associated with lack of affection. The year 2001, when he was considered a former football player in the eyes of the public, comes to my mind.

Outside Brazil almost nobody believed that he could be a functional player again. In Italy he was saw as anything but damaged merchandise. But he knew then that the public skepticism could be eroded with hard work and personal effort. The 2002 World Cup would be the perfect stage for an exuberant comeback. And he made the impossible possible.

He took control of his life again and moved to a place I presume he thought he could be happy again. It’s interesting to note that he changed his life in more than one way. He divorced his wife, joined the nightlife, gained some weight. What is the point of having so much money if it is not to spend?

A decline should be expected.

Ronaldo is obviously moved by the appeal of the challenge. His years with Barcelona, his first season with Internazionale, the 2002 World Cup, his first year in Madrid – all these different moments make a storyline in which the fans meet a seductive player that is simply a pleasure to watch.

As an artist, which he is, Ronaldo belongs to a very special group of players. He not only plays a special variation of football, but entertains the public performing wonderful moves and choreographies. He is fully aware of that. And expects recognition in return.

It could take the form of holidays, for instance. But when one feeds the monster for so long… The fans, the media, the sponsors always want more. In this context, frustration is a natural consequence.

Don’t think, only play, said Luxa to him in the middle of a not so good season. But now he’s thinking. He can't avoid it. It is part of the maturing process.

He's past his prime, yet he knows that even in decline he is better than most of the world class players. But how long? As I see, it’s a middle situation between two extremes.

So, where is the motivation for Ronaldo as a player?

The Seleção should be the answer for a legend in the making.

Think again, I would say to him if I could.

12. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Fantástico, the most popular Sunday night tv program in Brazil, just showed an interview with Ronaldo’s father about his son’s statement “I’m white”. The reporter asked him: “Is Ronaldo white?” Laughing a father's laugh, he said: “I’m black. He’s black. And he knows he is black.” "So why he said he is white?", the reporter replied. “I don’t know, maybe he wanted to state some kind of philosophical point.”

It could be embarrassing, but it wasn’t. In fact, it was in a good mood.

In the end Ronaldo said, through his press agent, that in the (Folha de São Paulo) interview he wanted to say that his skin is “whiter” than most of the black players’ skin and for that reason he is not a victim of prejudice in the same way the others are. He also said that he is proud of being black.

End of story, so I hope. :)

13. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I'll second that.

Without taking either the reporter's or Ronaldo's side, for the life of me I can't fathom how an attempt to state "I'm light(er) skinned" can be confused for "I am white." :confused:

A bizarre incident for sure.

14. (9)PALESTINO(9)

(9)PALESTINO(9) Red Card

Jun 13, 2005
    Riyadh,K S A
    Regarding ronaldo

Is it true ronaldo will not participate in germany2006 because he refused to play in the confederations cup?

15. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Re: Regarding ronaldo

I've never heard anything like that.

16. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil

Of course not.

17. (9)PALESTINO(9)

(9)PALESTINO(9) Red Card

Jun 13, 2005
    Riyadh,K S A

i heard he had some beef with the coac.why isnt he playin in the confederations cup tho?

18. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

That is a rumour. He said he was too tired to play in both qualifiers and the Confederation's Cup in June, so Parreira axed him from both. But unless he is injured, he will be involved in future qualifiers and the run-up to the cup in 2006.

19. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

NO NO NO FAKEEEEEEE

Coach already said Ronaldo will start in the qualifers in September ;)

We cant win the world cup without ronaldo ... he's still the most feared striker in the world

20. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil

Just correcting: Ronaldo asked not to play only the confederations cup, he wanted to play the qualifiers. But it seems Parreira felt a little duel about it and didnt call him for the qualifiers as well, and it made ronaldo unsatisfied too. But its nothing serious, he will surely be called in the next seleção game.

21. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

this is definitely not true
    parreira might not make him play in the world cup qualifier but ronaldo will bein the world cup for sure if hes healthy

22. miensoccer

miensoccer New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    USA

yeah, he will back

for now, as far as I watch Brazil team withou R
    they play excellent tooo

23. Freak of Nature

Freak of Nature New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Detroit

CAP wouldn't go without Ronaldo. Look at the attacking now its a little shaky without him. First of all Ronaldinho doesn't look very comfortable with the selecao and he gets too frustrated when he isn't winning. Second Robinho and Adriano aren't very clinical in front of goal and miss a lot of chances.

24. DAvidTricolor

DAvidTricolor New Member

Jun 19, 2005

Actually Adriano is a great player!....Brasil does not need Ronaldo in the qualifiers, they are good with or without him.

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Noooo....You need Ronaldo, hes able to attack with any foot, make moves with any foot and keep the defense guessing. Today, whenever Adriano got the ball, he was constantly looking to go left, for his connon shot....but the Mexican defense proboly did thier scouting report and knew this...and he struggled tremdiously