Ronaldinho's latest nike ad - REAL or FAKE?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    People are concluding that the video is fake without providing any meaningful evidence. It like, "no way he could do THAT! It MUST BE fake". Show some proof...why is it fake?

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Could the fan boys please leave and take a cold shower. :rolleyes:

The entire purpose of this thread is to discuss whether what Ronaldinho does is fake or not. Could we therefore have a discussion on it without you spitting the dummy? Of course people are going to think it is fake, just like others will think it is real. That's the point! So let's discuss the issue in a civil manner, without your lot throwing all of your toys on the floor because some people had the audacity to say something negative about a Brazilian player. You know who you are, because you are guilty of doing in almost every relevant thread here. Just get a grip guys.

3. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I think the video is fake. I mean, If this was an amature video of Ronnie training and he pulled it off, then there would be a question of it being real. But common, Its a nike commercial. Do you know how much money they put into these things, its obviously a fake. Ive seen several commercials like that for power aid. And the Labron James one mentioned earlier. All it is, is CGI. No matter how good Ronnie is, he couldnt do that on purpose 4 times in a row. If he had that kind of accuracy, he would be averaging several goals a game.

I say someone sign up to the nike forums or something and ask just to put this issue to rest.

But for the record, Im voting fake.

4. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone seen the new gatorade commercial in which they altered historic moments in American sports (such as Jordan's game winner against Bird's Celtics)? They edited the footage and it all looked very convincing. I'm not saying the Ronaldinho vid is definately fake (although I believe the crossbar part is), but the technology definately exists to make the fake look very real.

5. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    :rolleyes: Looks like battIE b0y got his rEEm jawed real hard today!

6. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Let me tell you a little story
    Marcelinho Carioca was acknowledged as the best free kick taker in Brasil when he played for Corinthians in the 90's
    There was this one time when he took a free kick, the ball bounced on the post and came back right to his feet; this time he shot and scored
    It even raised quite a polemic around here by the time, because for most people the goalkeeper clearly didn't touch the ball and as such the goal should have been disallowed
    What I mean is, if this can be done by odd, who's to say that what the video shows can't be done by practice?
    I'm not naïve as to say "of course it's real!" but let's give it the reasonable doubts ok? :D

7. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The goal mouth area was covered with a giant green screen. Ronaldinho would shoot the ball into that area and the ball would be digitally made to look as if it hit the cross bar and bounces back, then a man wearing a green suit (I know it sounds silly, but this is how it was most likely done) throws him the ball back and he juggles it for a second, then repeats. Every other part of the video is real, he simply juggles it back to where he began.

8. animatestate

animatestate New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Many Places
    Why the hell are you using exclamation marks and caps like my thoughts are not valid? And tell me something I don't know. I love what NIKE does with football, their whole www.nikefootball.com site is diggity dope. Chill out and go get a job with Nike. No one is saying Ronaldinho is not great, we all know that he is, people just wonder how he does it or if he really didn't.

I love Ronaldinho and as you can see in my profile, I am a huge fan and I love his game. I didn't think the video was fake. I recieved it in my email from Nike and I watched it like 30 times over and over.

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    IF it is fake then you have to hand it to nike for being so smart. There isn't another player out there I would find it plausible to see doing this. With Ronaldinho you just never know however, he does so many things normal footballers simply cannot that an element of 'could he really be doing that can be entertained.

People dismissing it straight off the bat make no sense to me. There are reported cases of other super elite footballers doing this, but even more theoritcally prepostorous than this i.e Puskas hitting the crossbar 10 times in a row. Ronaldinho may not be an all-timer (yet) but I do not think it can be denied that he has abilities that simply do not exist for anyone else but himself. Again, if it's fake then clever nike - if it is not (and I've seen nothing but suggestions alluding to what I said in the first post) then is that a case of people simply refusing to believe certain players have ability they cannot comprehend?

It's an interesting one and it'll certainly have me argue with friends down the pub more than once I'm sure, but I can't see how people can flat out dismiss it as fallacy when there has been cases of other abnormally gifted players doing the same thing.

And for people saying he should be able to score and do this kind of thing in every game Barca play are not considering the fact that in a real time match you have 4-6players breathing down your neck, charging down shots and the potential of injury to worry about plus pressure- lots of players can do ridiculous things in training that they can not impliment in a real time environment so that theory as to why this is fake should be thrown out straight away.

10. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I apologize if it seemed like I was calling you out. That was definitely not my intention.

I'll state this again: the possibility of the video being edited exists. However, no one has been able to provide any valid proof, or any meaningful hypothesis as to how it could be edited. So far it is like, "no way he could do THAT! Therefore, the video must be edited", followed by a flimsy hypothesis (a fake Ronaldinho was the height). With my limited knowledge of CGI, I cannot detect any forgery in the video. The comparison between this video with the LeBron (and others mentioned) is not valid. As someone mentioned earlier, the ball in the LeBron video, unlike in this case, was often outside the focus of the camera. Moreover, the LeBron video was probably used for mass media campaigns, whereas this one serves little purpose in terms of direct marketing for NIKE. This is available only on the NKIE website and its primary objective is to glorify Ronaldinho (which of course, would benefit NIKE indirectly). This video would also be difficult to fake as there is another moving ball in the background. So, Ronaldinho essentially was required to hit the bar such that the ball came back to him. Whether he did that on four conscutive occasions is up for debate (video shows that he does and that is the best evidence we got so far). Incidentally, Puskas rebounded the ball off the bar to his feet 10 times in practise before a game against England (as Dark Savante mentioned above). However, I do not think he was juggling the ball all throughout. Since a similar incidence has been reported before and because of the lack of any conclusive proof (till now), it would be unfair (unscientific) to conclude that the video is not real.

RE: Job with NIKE...excellent idea. However, I am not sure they need someone with my credentials as my expertise involves a wholly different industry. :p

11. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    have you seen the commercial of the famous play by Pele where he lets the ball go through and runs around the keeper who was coming out to get it and then shoots and misses?...did you know a brazilian company remade the video so the ball would go in like everyone would've wanted it to happen?..

a nice video that looks perfect too but guess what....it was just CGI

12. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    You must be silly to think that they couldn't edit the white part in. CG is all prevalent these days.. I'm still skeptical about the ball MOVEMENT. The ball doesn't disappear, DUH. If Nike was doing this as a commercial, and CG-ed the ball, would they dare be so sloppy? Oh well..

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Considering all of the variables involved in being able to perform that bit of skill, the extreme rarity of it being achieved and the past precedent of Nike editing films of this nature, then the only logical conclusion is that the film is fake.

Kaushik, I have no doubt that it can be done on very rare occasions and out of the very few that would even attempt it, Ronaldinho would undoubtedly be one. However, all of your current claims to this point are just further proof of your incredible bias at play. You should take a step back and read some of the stuff that you have posted.

14. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Yes I have seen that clip on TV but have not had the chance to watch it closely
    Would anyone have a download link for it?

But the point is that so far I have not been able to identify the CGI'd parts and come on, even on Matrix or Spiderman you can identify them without much effort, and how many million dollars have they spent on those?

I too am inclined to think it is fake but wouldn't it be helluva cool if it was true? :D

15. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    If you watched Sex and the City, can you identify whether the women's faces have been touched up? Because they were digitally altered later on. : p.. A ball is much more easier to animate than huge complex structures in movies, and HONESTLY, I felt the ball in this film was CG-ed. That's my judgment on it anyway, and please don't take yourself as the standard ; )

16. animatestate

animatestate New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Many Places
    I agree that it is not good to automatically assume Ronaldinho isn't 100% able to do what he did in the video. One thing I don't understand about what you are saying is all this about it not being shown on commercial, so therefore NIKE isn't probably benefiting. First of all, the internet has made some huge developments as a marketing tool in the last 3 or 4 years. You don't have to have a commercial to sell products, you send email and link to websites. The product they were showing were the limited edition, gold Ronaldinho Tiempos which are available in stores now. It is also possible that commercials are shown in other countries besides the US and Canada, so it isn't viewed there.

I don't like writing five page explanations, but you know, I just wanted you to know that.

*Oh, you guys should download the vid for higher quality if you haven't already. It looks much better and better audio. You can put it at full screen or double size and it looks real sweet. Oh and I wish I could have the boots that Ronaldinho took off before he put on the gold ones. I know he won't be needing them anymore. LOL

17. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Think about this:

When I am juggling, there are a few tricks that I can pull off only about 20% of the time. I still try them, many times on end. And every once in a while I can pull off 2 or 3 of them in succession.

And I am good enough to be able to hit the goal post about 80% of the times that I try, even though I cant control how it bounces back.

And I am not even close to professional.

Now what is stopping Ronaldinho, one of the best ball handlers the world has ever seen, from doing a good 10-15 takes and finally getting one right?

Sure as hell would be a lot cheaper than the green room ideas that everybody is thinking of.

18. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

There's also a great commercial being aired during the World Series showing Michael Jordan missing the shot against Cleveland, Dwight Clark not catching the ball, etc.

19. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Ok I have found evidence that it may be fake

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/3382/nikead18qb.png
    http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/4746/nikead29qw.png
    http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/2039/nikead38xo.png
    http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/9199/nikead48dk.png

These are 4 consecutive frames of the third rebound
    Download these pics and switch them back and forth
    The ball "falls" unexpectedly from the 2nd to the 4th frame
    The first rebound also seems to have an abnormal trajectory when the ball reaches Ronaldinho
    The fourth rebound has just a little (debatable) anomaly in the trajectory
    The second rebound seems perfect

As fake as it may be it's still an awesome ad :D

20. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    What I meant was that the video is available only on Nike's website. Only if you had previously registered with them would you have received the email, just like any other email Nike sends when they have something new on their website (e.g., a game, video or ad). That's why I am saying that they are not treating this video any different than the countless others they keep posting on their site (e.g., all those freestyle videos). They are definitely not using this video as a conventional media advert to publicly promote their products, unless one argues that Nikefootball.com has a global reach with thousands of registered patrons.

21. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Actually, it's really neither expensive nor difficult (for professionals, of course) anymore to do such things.

22. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Finally someone with some evidence to back up claims. The third pic does look iffy. Could it be the spin on the ball? Also, tell me this, why do the railings behind the goal keep changing their chromaticity (as you can see, not much knowledge of CGI here)?

23. RafaMarquez

RafaMarquez New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rosarito
  24. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Has nothing to do with CGI
    I believe that the blinking railings are artifacts caused by either video compression or (most likely) deinterlacing
    There's a slim chance that there might be some missing frame due to deinterlacing but it is unlikely - the ball just seems way out of place in that 3rd frame

As for anyone wanting to know the methodology used to capture those frames - I used VirtualDub to open the clip via DirectShow filter, output it to uncompressed RGB (for ease of use only) and then used VirtualDub again to capture the frames from the uncompressed source

25. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously fake, the ball has no shading, and just stands out. Nike needs to work on their CGI.