Ronaldinho wins it again!

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by GRBomber, Dec 19, 2005.

1. levineto

levineto New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Miami
    Ronaldinho won the award with the highest difference for the second place ever! That should tell you something about how good he is.

I see people talking about Gerrard...well, guess what, he is not even making top 5, so unless you realize you are wrong, you are actually going against the top managers and coaches in the world, who voted for Ronaldinho.

When was a british player considered the best in the world?
    I believe it was never and it will never happen... England may be world champions and have a great team but will never have the world's best player.
    You better enjoy this generation as it is the best England's team ever assemble, they may even be world cup champions someday, not next year at least, but if Brazil drops its performance drastically, they may have a chance in the future.

2. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're as ignorant as the people who were dismissing Ronaldinho
    as a mere trickster. Please stop writing trash.

3. WayneRooneyIsFat

WayneRooneyIsFat New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    NYC, NY
    I've seen a lot of adjectives used to describe your posts. "Objective" is not one that's commonly used.

Thanks for a good laugh, though.

Also, if it's not too much trouble, perhaps you could repeat your argument why Gary Speed is "objectively" a better defensive midfielder than Patrick Vieira? Not everybody reads the Arsenal boards regularly, so they don't reap the benefits of your "objective" analysis as frequently as I do.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1. Don't tell me Lampard doesn't work defensively, you seem naive when you say that. Don't say because he's never injured nor suspended that he doesn't make tackles. That is a huge leap. I suppose Makelele doesn't work hard, put or put in tackles either right? because Makelele and Lampard had exactly the same amount of yellow cards (8) and Makalele started 50 games to Lampards 53. Lampard is an excellent tackler. His timing is great and his work-rate is phenomenal. He's not a DM not because he can't tackle, but rather because he's much better going forward than most DMs and he also lacks their reading of the game from a defensive standpoint (something he'd pick up if he played that role).

Also, I don't believe SirM has ever said Lampard's a better player because he works defensively. As far as talent goes, obviously Ronaldinho is more talented offensively. Lampard however does more than create and score, he also builds and defends. He does those at a level that very few players in his position have done. Only Keane in his first half a season with United matched Lampard's exploits last year. Keane scored 8 times in the first half of the season before an injured Robson told him his job was to defend and build from the back. Up until that point Keane had been a livewire in midfield paired with either Robson or Ince he'd put himself about covering more ground than any 2 players and do everything including tackling, creating and scoring. Later on he became less involved in scoring and more involved in building the play and stopping the opponent and the comparison ends.

wonderful analysis of Ronaldinho and anyone who thinks that his flashiness is what give him the edge over Lampard talent wise is wrong.

However, in terms of what each player did for their team in 2005 I'd give Lampard the nod because he just did more. As effective as Ronaldinho was he was not the heart of their team and his supporting cast, Eto'o, Deco and Xavi did a helluva lot more than Drogba, Robben and Duff. Lampard was his teams best scorer (Eto'o), creative force (Deco/Ronaldinho) and the initiator of the attack (Xavi). Again, Ronaldinho was brilliant, but Lampard was omnipotent.

5. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How would you describe Lampard as a player?

6. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    i think the top 3 should have been Ronaldinho, Schevchenko, and Adriano. Instead they chose Lampard and Eto. Dont get me wrong they are both great players but I think Schev and Adriano are way better than Lampard and Eto. There would have been less of a gap between Ronaldinho and whoever would come in 2nd place.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A central midfielder with the passing touch and vision of a midfield general (Alonso/Xavi). He has an amazing work-rate (Gerrard) and he's got immaculate positioning in the final 3rd for a midfielder (Scholes).

He's a midfield general who is also a box-to-box player. He's not a DM, but he's certainly not as limited in defence and workrate as most AMs and he contributes far more goals and assits than most CMs do.

8. Serb

Serb New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Southern Ontario
    What is this supposed to mean?

FIFA World Player of the Year Award is a joke. It's like a popularity contest. It's not like ROnaldinho beat Lampard in a one-on-one match-up to win it, is it?

And this is nothing against Ronaldinho, great player, but these awards are just garbage. I can't believe people actually pay attention to them. They mean nothing.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Yes.

What players would they be and what part of those statements are incorrect?

Perhaps you should read some of those 'debates' again.

In the Ronaldo vs. Müller debate, certain groups of people were flatly refusing to acknowledge the skill that Müller possessed and then tried to belittle his scoring record. In fact, when I put it to these people that the fundamental role of a striker was to score goals and that Gerd was clearly far superior in that regard, they refused to agree and then tried to change the subject of comparison. The same type of thing happened in the other debates. It isn't been 'hyper-critical' of the actual players, it is being 'hyper-critical' of the fan boys. I will admit that I have taken the piss with a few comments, but considered the irrelevant and frankly ridiculous posts that these people consistantly make the second a discussion involves a Brazilian player, can you really blame us? My criticism is only when certain players are being over-hyped and others unfairly rejected. So yes, I add balance.

Did you even bother to read any of the threads? Some idiot fan boys appeared and not only proclaimed Ronaldinho as being the greatest player ever, but also the most complete. Those statements are frankly ridiculous, which is why I brought Rooney into the equation to see how stupid and biased they actually are. Surprisingly enough, most took the bait. My argument was that Rooney not only had more to his game defensively, but also attacking wise. That is clearly correct, regardless of how you look at things. It was during that debate, when I summed up Ronaldinho's game as being that of a winger. I stand by that statement. His game is fundamentally based on running at an opponent and beating them with either pace or some form of trickery. You cannot argue against that. Unfortunately it seems that the fan boys don't like having their so-called God's game broken down so simply. Poor them.

I did praise him highly on many an ocassion, but that was before the fan boy invasion and before they tried to mock what Lampard has achieved. As any Chelsea fan will attest, I really don't like the latter which just shows how balanced I am actually being. Besides, thanks to this type of rubbish he has now stolen the award from it's rightful winner twice. The unlucky players being Henry and Lampard, who both fully merited it and were quite frankly robbed by the polpularity brigade.

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    How could you play football one on one?

11. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    The scary thing is if Gaucho remains consistent he could dominate for an era like u know who...with WC06 around the corner we're gonna find out how dupa he really is.

Propzilla to Lampard; to achieve wot he has over the last few years. :)

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    waw. thats a tough one. i have no idea whatsoever.

13. Eowin

Eowin New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    No doubt, Ronaldinho is a great player!

PREVIOUS WINNERS OF FIFA’s WORLD PLAYER OF THE YEAR AWARD
    1991: Lothar Matthaeus
    1992: Marco Van Basten
    1993: Roberto Baggio
    1994: Romario
    1995: George Weah
    1996: Ronaldo
    1997: Ronaldo
    1998: Zinedine Zidane
    1999: Rivaldo
    2000: Zinedine Zidane
    2001: Luis Figo
    2002: Ronaldo
    2003: Zinedine Zidane
    2004: Ronaldinho
    2005: Ronaldinho

:)

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    no doubt henry was robbed.

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Duck Mason, where was the post, that you just quoted. I want to read it to makesure, im not taking it the wrong way.

16. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    There's a game I know as scimmage when you've less than 5 players a goal a foot an' a half wide is set up with the closets player to goal defending but can't use hands (we called rush goalie) - the pitch is small and is reduced according to the number of players which can go from 4 to 1 aside. I aside is fun but knackering and is obviously all about brucking your opponent to score and defending your lobster pot. :)

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    waw! so one-on-one means two guys play against each other? alone?

18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

You're a full-hearted moron if you think I believe in that, go back and re-read my posts!! They can however do the respective tricks, and I said not as good as Ronaldinho because he's the best at that, they just dont enforce it because its not pasrt of their game! If you haven't even watched them do that, why should you still be talking?
    And I wasn't comparing Ronaldinho directly to CRonaldo, I wasn't saying they're in the same league, BUT they are similar in that fans are attracted to their style of play which usually encompasses flashyness.

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you've got to be fvcking joking! :eek:

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    nope. he wouldnt have been one of my finalists.

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    When has Thierry Henry ever been the best player in the world? Looks to me like you're just incensed because an EPL player hasn't won it.

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    he was in 2004. in my opinion.

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'm sorry but that's just not true, back when Arsenal went on that unbeaten run and the season after, Henry was just magnificent, look at his scoring record in the league, and for once he was actually good in the CL and for his country. As much as I don't like the guy he truly deserved the award. But what the hell, Let's not start yet another argument over this one.

24. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Then why was he so uninspired for France that summer?

25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

well its not like he played bad for France, he does everything else he does at Arsenal but he just doesn'y score in magnificent fashion, although he did pick it up in the Croatia game it wasn't enough to get peoples' attention. However, if you've seen recent France games and the ones after Euro you've noticed that he has indeed pick up his scoring form, in fact he's in line to reach Platini's record.
    All this talk of him is making me think, how would he fit in at Barca anyway!?