Ronaldinho: We'll Win In 2006

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by frostdude1, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I just translated it. I agree with best defense in Europe - central only. (ie, not A. Cole and G. Neville).

Most talented team on paper? Laughable.

BTW, my name is Scottish and Irish :D So at least you didn't outright call me English! :eek:

2. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am interested in seeing how our laterais would fare against an England lineup with J.Cole and Wright Phillips charging down the flanks. Ashley Cole is one hell of a left back too. I would hope that Roberto Carlos and whoever plays right back are up to the task!

Teams with two excellent attacking wingers are pretty rare IMO, and therefore would present interesting challenges for the selecao.

i.e Vicente and Joaquin

3. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    and speaking of Vicente and Joaquin

Spain
    From bad to worse
    By Marco Lopez

Core Team: Casillas, Salgado, Puyol, Marchena, and Del Horno: Abelda, Xavi, and Raul; Joaquin and Vicente
    Keep an Eye On: Vicente
    Star: Raul
    What Could Go Wrong: The lack of a play maker, a number 10. and a tradition of failing in important competitions, even with teams considered good (never passed the quarter finals stage)

The Spanish team got worse in comparison with the 2002 team. They’ve lost energy, came out of Euro demoralized (didn’t even make it out of the group stage). Changed managers and the team’s football didn’t improve. On the contrary, it worsened. The new hope is striker Fernando Torres. In the defensive sector, Xavi and Puyol, both of Barcelona stand out (*Xavi is a defender,…so how bizarre!!!!). Out of the rest, little, very little. It gives the impression that the Spanish players only shine in La Liga. It’s a worthy case to study, that has already infected the fans.

The stadiums no longer fill up when the Spanish Fury plays. Its not for no reason that the team suffers to guarantee its place in Germany for the World Cup, even being in an easy group.

Without any prospects, there are no title hopes for the Spanish fans who are observing yet another good generation of players (Xavi, Joaquin, Puyol, Vicente, Torres, and Casillas) burn out with winning a significant title. The Spanish player lacks character, personality.

*DAMN, if I were a Spain fan…I would be considering suicide now!

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bonus edition:

Argentina
    Renewed Tradition!
    By Elias Perugino, El Grafico

Core team: Abbondanzieri, Coloccini, Ayala, Heinze; Lucho Gonzalez, Mascherano, Cambiasso, Sorin; Riquelme; Saviola e Crespo (OK, that seems wrong to me, Cambiasso?)
    Keep an eye on: Carlos Tevez
    Star: Hernan Crespo
    What could go wrong: Only one South American team has ever won in Europe: Brazil 1958 in Sweden. (It seems a lot of comments are just generally poor – Beckham England’s star? Crespo Argentina’s? I always get the impression that placar edits these to make them match the Brazilian view a little more. Here, I think the Argentine writer seems unwilling to find a real weakness for his team)
    In qualifying: 31P, 15G, 9W, 4D, 2L, 27GF, 15GA
    Coach: José Pekerman

Since World Cup 2002 Argentina has been going through a long transition period. First, still under Marcelo Bielsa, who despite seeing his team eliminated in the first round in the Far East was kept as the coach and built a new team. Bielsa’s new team played Copa America – losing to Brazil in the final. Then, with a younger team, Bielsa won the Olympics in Athens and, shortly after, called it quits.

More changes were made under new coach José Pekerman. With him, Argentina changed its style of play: it went from a dynamic, vertical style, in the European mold, to one more in line with the country’s tradition, slower, paced and less vertical (direct). The group went through many changes as well and Riquelme was chosen as the main ball-handler. A promising generation of players such as Lucho Gonzalez, Milito, Cambiasso, Heinze, Mascherano, Saviola and Tevez won a place with the squad. Star athletes from the 2002 World Cup, now in decline, such as Sensini, Simeone, Ortega, Caniggia and Batistuta weren’t dropped once and for all.

The changes have been effective and the Argentine people are more optimistic towards this team than they were towards Bielsa’s. Today fans believe in Pekerman’s team: in his hands Argentina won the World Youth Cup with many of the player who are now a part of the full squad.

Among the talents that could surprise are Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano, since both will be playing in their first World Cup. The greatest responsibility will fall to Hernan Crespo and Juan Roman Riquelme, two players who are in great form and should reach their peak around the World Cup, certainly as starters on this team.

Enthusiastic, renewed and with a need to avenge the failure of 2002 and made up of a great group of players that combines young prospects and big stars, Argentina is today one of a few teams capable of defeating Brazil – considered in fact by many Argentines to be the best team in the world. That much, let’s face it, may be enough to win a World Cup.

5. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interesting piece about Argentina. They are a good
    passing team, certainly, and like any very good team
    they have quality in midfield. I have some slight doubts
    about their forwards, and in fact I'm not sure Tevez
    will even play next year (this writer seems to think
    he'll have a big role; your thoughts?).

About England's central defense, Ombak--I don't
    think that's quite right. Nesta-Cannavaro are a bit
    stronger than Rio-Campbell, though England DO have
    more depth in central defense (a lot more, in fact).

But they conceded 6 goals in 4 games at Euro
    2004. Not great. France and Italy looked meaner
    to me.

6. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I rather seen USA win the world cup than brazil again. I am so tired of the cocky brazilians winning that I wish any team is better then them.

I don't liek brazils cocky attitude.

7. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    Wishful thinking :)
    How is winning when you play good football cocky?

8. FredGavioes

FredGavioes Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Boston/MA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    we will win and thats that. with ronaldinho on the field, we are invincible, we play some ************ games in the qualifiers, but when it comes to the world cup, they players play everything that they know, that may not be enough to win the wc, but i think it would get us in the final again.

i dont see brazil not winning this wc, its very unlikely. compared to 1990,94,98,2002, this is definitely the strongest selecao of the past 15 yrs.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    damn you guys and your big brasilian country.....Your in Portugal way of winning the world cup.....BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......VIVA PORTUGAL!

...sorry guys...just venting....

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Talentwise, you're probably right, but talent alone doesn't win championships.

In 1982 we had the most talented team since 1970 - and that team was far and away superior talentwise to 1994's team.

But if Parreira meshes Ronaldo with the quartet, if the midfield holds steady, if the defense doesn't choke, and if Dida does his job - then the Hexa may well occur next year.

11. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Century's Best, I tend to differ with this view. It is often claimed that Brazil 1982 was a far better team than the teams that won the WC in 1994 and 2002. However, it is most probably because Brazil tended to play a preponderantly attacking game and scored some outstanding goals through Eder, Zico and Socrates. However, if one looks at the constitution of the squad, Brazil 1982 had a poor GK, mediocre CBs, and a solitary, unremarkable forward. They, however, had an incredible MF that carried them through to the Q/F. Poor defending and goalkeeping, subpar finishing and complete reliance on the MF to win matches prevented Brazil from winning the WC. In contrast, the 1994 and 2002 WC teams were far more balanced. Both WC winning teams had excellent GKs, strong defenders and legendary strikers. So, in three out of four departments, the WC winning sides possessed superior talent (MFs were decent as well). Moreover, having seen the WC 1982 games again (courtesy of Tpmazembe), I can't help but state that I have seen Brazil play better all-round (attacking) football in the 1990s compared to the WC 1982 squad. I also feel that the current squad is far more balanced than 1982 and has a greater chance of winning the WC.

12. jcmartins

jcmartins BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    I agree with your last statement. A few changes and a lot of practice together, I have a feeling that we're talking about 1970. If this team falls together as they should and we can fix a couple of problems in the defense, it will be damn near impossible to beat. (though soccer is soccer and there's a lot of good teams out there too)

Videos, news, opinions, critics and even chat, Everything about the world of soccer... Visit my page:
    www.finalwhistle.typepad.com

13. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Thanks everyone, very interesting. I have a question though, why wouldn't Javier Zanettti start on Argentina? Did he retire? Thanks