Ronaldinho: We'll Win In 2006

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by frostdude1, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Top man. Thanks.

2. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Placar.com has a view of the main competiors to the Selecao. The contributions are from writers from each country (a local perspective).

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alemanha[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] | Argentina | Itália | França | Inglaterra | Portugal | Holanda | Espanha [/font]​

3. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Great!

4. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    tp, is there a version of that article in Italian or English? I would
    be so fascinated to read that . . .

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They were very short synopses of each team, written, as tpmazembe said, from the perspective of each country by a local writer. Nothing particularly revealing to be honest, just a "probable 11", "who to keep an eye on" and "newest big star" part to each one.

6. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ah, I see.

Does 'estrella' mean star, by the way?

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, it does. (Only one "l" though).

8. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ITÁLIA[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forward, Itália?[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Gian Oddi[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Base Team: Buffon, Bonera, Cannavaro, Nesta e Zambrotta; Gattuso, Pirlo, Camoranesi e Totti; Cassano e Vieri (Gilardino)
    Ones to watch: Alberto Gilardino e Antonio Cassano
    Star: Francesco Totti
    What can go wrong: The traditional lack of attacking ambition / risk taking, despite the team having offensive firepower, they prefer to play defensively, often taking decisions to extra-time or penalties.
    WCQs to date: 13Points, 6games, 4victories, 1tie, 1defeat, 9Goals for, 5Goals against.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When Italy was eliminated in Korea 2002 the ire of the fans and critics was focused on the Ecuadorian ref Byron Moreno, which ended up giving additional life to then Azurri coach, Giovanni Trappotani. He couldn't survive the elimination in the first round of Euro 2004. In his place, Marcelo Lippi was hired.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In spite of the change, the tactical scheme didn't change much: the team continues playing in a 4-3-1-2, with Totti responsible for arming the two forwards. Thus, much of the change relative to 2002 is down to changes in personnel. Maldini retired from international duty after the Cup; Panucci, Iuliano, Di Livio, Di Biagio, Tommasi and Del Vecchio left little by little. Big names like Del Piero and Inzaghi also run the risk of not making it to Germany. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With the exit of so many players, new players have been and continue to be tested. Among them, two young forwards have already guaranteed their spots for 2006: Cassano and Gilardino, who are currently two of the team's greatest hopes. In the midfield, Pirlo and Camorenesi are also newer faces, who have added quality to the team.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In spite of the higher level of creativity in the midfield and the surfacing of these new striker talents, Italie only scored 9 goals in 6 games these WCQs. A sign that, at times, the problem is not lack of quality on the squad, the posture / tactics of the team on the pitch.[/font]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ombak is right, nothing too insightful if you've been following the Azurri; but does point out what has not changed as much as what has.

Sempre, is this the mood of Azurri fans by and large?

The Spain write-up, from a fans perspective, is almost depressing.

9. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oddi's article does indeed reflect the mood of Azzurri fans,
    which is slightly downbeat, because Lippi's changes, while
    good in principle, haven't led to the expected boom in goal-
    scoring and attacking play. The feeling is that the new team
    hasn't gelled yet.

If any of us are optimistic, it's not because of Totti, who
    we don't consider our savior anymore--it's because Nesta
    and Buffon are class, and because Cassano and Gilardino
    promise much for the future. I have a long post on the
    matter at this link if you're interested:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211602

And thanks a lot for the translation. Are you sending the
    invoice for your services by pm? :eek:

10. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    Hm,Spain?I would prefer to put a Czech talking about their NT then a Spanish guy.IMO Czech have a strong and difficult team,specially against Brazil,since we lack on aerial battle.

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tell you what. Tell me WHICH one you want in English, I'll translate it for you.

But please be selective. I can translate them all but it's a bit of labor to do many.

12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're on a roll with the translation stuff tonight huh? (Just saw your Englsih/Spanish post in rivalries).

Tell you what, you do one, I'll do one, that way (added to tpmazembe's translation of the Italy summary), we'll have three at least.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Ombak! How's it going? I've been out of the loop for a few... couple of days.

Yes, that was one that took a lot of writing. It's fun though.

ANyway Sempre: the Italy one has been translated for you. Choose ONE and I'll do it in the next few days.

14. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Thank you for the links. Interesting reading.

I think Portugal is still more comfortable in the "underdog" role than in the "favorite" role, and that will probably present a problem if we have to face teams with good organization and discipline. Therefore I'm not taking the qualification out of the group stages for granted.

IF we do leave the group stages.... then I think Portugal can go far.
    Why?
    Because we will probably face teams who have a bigger WC tradition than us, teams that will open up into the attack, exposing theirselfes to Portugal's best weapon: counter attack.

However Brasil remains, in everybody's minds, as the ultimate obstacle to any WC victory dreams. I hope people won't think I'm being defeatist when I say this, but you're probably the only team I think we wouldn't have (at least) a 50/50 chance of beating.

15. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank you, sir. What do our Teutonic brothers say for themselves?

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

GERMANY
    At home I'm the boss!
    By Frank Khol, KICKER (Germany)

Core team: Kahn, Hinkel, Worns (Friedrich), Huth (Mertesacker) and Lamm; Frings, Schneider (Deisler) Ballack and Schweisteiger; Kuranyi and Podolski (Klose)
    Keep your eye on: Schweisteiger
    Star: Ballack
    What may go wrong: the team has lacked talent for several years; renovation of the defense, which was until then the team's strong point
    In qualifying: automatically qualified for the Cup as host nation
    Manager: Juergen Klinsmann

After the surprising second-place finish in the 2002 World Cup, the German national team fell again. It was eliminated in the first round of the European Championship and fell into a tailspin. Manager Rudi Völler, a former striker and great idol of German soccer, resigned after almost 4 years as head coach. After a long search for a successor (Otmar Hitzfeld, formerly at Bayern Munchen, and Otto Rehagel, coach of the Greek NT, refused the invitation), another great name from the history of German soccer and a former striking partner of Völler, Jürgen Klinsmann, took over in August of 2004.

As he declared since the start, the coach in fact "left no brick in place." The current side has nothing to do with the 2nd place squad from 2002. Klinsmann did not change only Germany's face. He also altered its training style (with the aid of professionals from the US, where he lives) and even the team's kit colors - Germany has played in red often.

On the field, a more daring and creative side. "We want fast and quick football, always playing towards the opponent's goal, from start to the final whistle," Klinsmann says. At goal, the one-time untouchable Oliver Kahn competes for the spot with the equally well-rounded Jens Lehman, from Arsenal. The defense is the sector Klinsmann has changed the most. He retired Wörns, Linke, Rehmer, Ziege and Heinrich. The new faces are: Arne Friedrich (26, Hertha Berlim), Andreas Hinkl (23, Stuttgart), Robert Huth (20, Chelsea), Per Mertesacker (20, Hannover 96), Patrick Owomoyela (25, Armenia Bielefeld), Christian Schulz (22, Werder Bremen) and Thomas Hitzelberger (23, Aston Villa).

The midfield is commanded by captain Michael Ballack (28, Bayern de Munique) and counts with the most promising German talent: Bastian Schweinsteiger (20), a partner of Ballack in Bayern Munchen. "Schweini" ("Little Pig") displays refined technique besides a daring style not common for a German player.

His great friend on the team is Lukas Podolski (20, Cologne), another great promise, and opportunistic like few. Along with Teuton-Brazilian Kevin Kuranyi (23, Stuttgart, heading to Schalke), he made the German offense more consistent. Miroslav Klose (27, Werder Bremen), one of the last World Cup's top scorers, is on the group as well.

Beginning in August 2004, with Klinsmann as coach, Germany changed completely: in 16 games under his watch, the team has 10 wins, 4 draws, and only 2 defeats.

With the positive results and a more offensive, "happier" soccer, Klinsmann rescued the trust of fans and critics. "Jürgen (Klinsmann) is doing an extraordinary job", says Franz Beckembauer, German football's living legend. And the people even dreams with the title in 2006. The last poll by Kicker magazine (June 6, with 11,000 participants) tallied: 44% believe in the title; 4% hope for a second place; and, 22% think Germany will reach at least the semifinal.

17. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How does that not surprise me, Century? Such typical
    German self-confidence . . . Give them one world-class
    player (Ballack), and they think the Cup is already in their
    trophy cabinet.

For Italians the worst of all possible scenarios is Germany
    winning the World Cup. Anything Brazil can do to stop that
    scenario from happening will be much appreciated. ;)

I see from the KICKER writer that Huth will be one of
    their starting CBs. That is worth a good laugh. I guess
    Podolski is quite some talent though. I saw him at the
    Confed. Cup . . . He reminds me a bit of the great German
    strikers of old.

How do you fellows rate the German NT? It seems they
    are run from California by Klinsman. He sends them e-mails,
    I guess.

18. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By the way, Century, I repped you for the great
    translation--thanks--and will rep tp when the gd
    system allows me to again. :D

19. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can translate one or two when i get home from work this evening. That can be VERY late considering the commute. I call Holland...since I love their NT :D

20. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Holland
    "Sweet Orange"
    by Marcel Rozer

Core-team (*Which I don’t agree with by the way): Van der Saar, Lucius, Heitinga, Opdam and Van Bronckhorst; Landzaat, Van Bommel, Cocu, Kujit, Ruud, and Robben.

Keep an Eye On: Robben, Babel

Star: Ruud Van Nistelrooy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What May Go Wrong: Displeased, disgruntled legends/superstars. The team is young and the formation, with two pontas, is overused.

In Qualifying:

Manager: Marco Van Basten

I don’t want any movie stars on my team”, said Van Basten during his presentation as manager. Fitting this description, big stars like Seedorf and Kluivert lost their privileged positions. The core team of recent years was decimated with the retirement of other players like the De Boer brothers, Jaap Stam, and Marc Overmars :(

Euro 2002 (I think he means 2004) saw the rise of a new crop of players. Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax), John Heitinga (Ajax), Rafael Van der Vaart (another brought up in Ajax). All of them under 20 years of age (*WRONG!). The new “bets” are Robben Van Persie (Arsenal, was recently accused of rape), Hedwiges Madura (Maduro) and Ryan Babel (both of Ajax, and both were present in the U-20 World Cup).

Van Basten sticks to offensive football, always with two “open points” (wide forwards in 4-3-3) and a center forward, the relentless Ruud Van Nistelrooy. The other various Dutch goal scorers (Makaay, Kluivert etc) lost their places. Besides his charisma (he has prestige/influence with the press and the fans) and a bit of audacity, he has had a lot of good luck—even when the team doesn’t play well, they end up winning. Until when?

21. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good work. It's strange that a local Dutch writer had
    some of his facts about the team wrong, isn't it.

I watched Holland beat Finland 4-1 IN Finland on FSC
    a few weeks back and was amazed. In the Dutch forum
    they were all unimpressed though. One guy said flatly:
    "We suck." High-minded Protestantism for you.

I think the writer here should have said that the Dutch
    team will be at a peak by 2008 or 2010; at the moment
    they seem a bit inexperienced with a bunch of players
    who are more boy than men. But who knows.

The Spain article doesn't really interest me but whatever
    is written about Argentina or England would. Is it Ombak's
    turn now?

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Coming up later today: Ombak's translation of "England".

On my way to work, will do it from there when I get a chance.

Thanks JP, CB and TPM for the others.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ENGLAND
    (English) Dream Team
    By: Jem Meidment, Arsenal Magazine

Likely starters: Robinson, Garry Neville (Johnson), Ferdinand, Terry (Campbell), Ashley Cole; Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Joe Cole; Owen, Rooney
    Watch out for: Rooney
    Star: Beckham
    What could go wrong: Injury to an important starter and the lack of confidence that seems to contaminate the players during World Cups
    In Qualifying: 16P, 6G, 5W, 1D, 0L, 13GF, 3GA
    Coach: Sven-Goran Eriksson

Today’s England is better than 2002’s when the only real stars were Beckham and Owen. Many players are currently at the peak of their careers. If Paul Scholes is missed (he decided to retire from international play) some of the weaknesses of the last World Cup, like the goalkeeper, Seaman, and forward, Heskey have been improved upon with the emergence of Robinson and, especially, Rooney. He is the newest star of the team and can be considered the greatest talent to come out of England since Gascoigne.

Besides Rooney, Frank Lampard deserves mention. Pay attention also to Steven Gerrard: a great player who loves to take on responsibility. One player who could surprise is Joe Cole. He has become a fantastic attacking midfielder since Jose Mourinho’s arrival at Chelsea. Cole has wonderful technique (well above the average Englsih player’s) and often helps in defense. He was on the bench in 2002 when Brazil beat England 2x1 down a player. Sven-Goran Eriksson was heavily criticized for not putting Cole in the game in the last 20 minutes.

Most supporters and journalists believe we have our strongest group of players in the last 20 years, maybe since 1966! As far as our opponents go, there is perhaps not, at least on paper, a more talented squad. We have the best defense in Europe, a creative midfield and Owen and Rooney up front. A team with experience and a good bench too.

What could hurt us? Eriksson’s inability to change things when the team is losing; the enormous pressure that is already felt by the players, who have also had it with heroic defeats. Ah… we’re already praying to avoid a penalty shoot-out…

24. Sempre

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I knew Ombak would choose England. He's kind of an
    Anglo-Saxon Brazilian. After all, his name is Bob Wilson.

'Best defense in Europe', 'Robinson's emergence', 'most
    talented team in the world on paper' . . . Ombak will
    disagree with me, but I find all three of these statements
    to be garbage.

Thanks you guys for translating these pieces; I do
    appreciate it.

25. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They do have a damn good defense. IMO they look to be the most dangerous European team. Rio, Terry, Sol, Carraegher, A.Cole... I would tend to agree with those statements, and certainly Robinson is good news following the exploits of Calamity Jane