Ronaldinho to LA Galaxy

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Werdman89, Jun 8, 2010.

1. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just checking, but, that was sarcasm, right?

LA was dangerously close to signing Ronaldinho in the summer, but the guy is desperate to remain in the national team picture and chose to return to Brazil to do so.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No not at all. I just noticed this thread started on the 8th of Jun 2010 at 08:12 PM and thought from then until now that its been a long time since this thread started and only now something may be happening, 1 .5 years later. As far as Ronaldinho going back to Brazil back then, I followed his career extensively while he was with Milan and kind of knew when Leonardo was out as coach, Ronny would be gone too.

3. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see this one happen. I watched him a little bit with AC Milan last year and it looked like he still had a lot to offer.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to crap on anyone's dreams of seeing him in MLS, I would love to see him play on US shores too, but I doubt it will ever happen before the World Cup in Brazil. I think all suggestion of him leaving Brazil at all before the world cup is just posturing to get a better deal at where he is now. It has nothing to do with lifestyle, money, and standard of living but rather the fact that he is home in Brazil, where he is himself, and speaks his language. For him to leave Brazil would be the same as Beckham hypothetically leaving England for the USA at a time when England is about to the host the World cup. It would never happen, he is going nowhere and he is staying put in the Brazil, I just can't picture him doing anything else.

5. BradDavis

BradDavis Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    New York has the offer on the table just so you know.. ridiculous in my opinion to offer a guy that is about 20 lbs overweight close to $10,000,000 but oh well... mark my words if he comes its to New York and not LA.. you guys are going after Lampard and his 20 lbs of gut.. good luck with Keane and Lampard considering they absolutley hate each other.. we got to get on Rafa's level so he is making calls... :)

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't really follow the EPL all that much but why is it that Keane and Lampard hate each other?

7. juanito1028

juanito1028 Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Oakland
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one factor you may be forgetting is the ever-attractive "loan factor." These guys get to play in MLS (a league that is second tier to the European leagues) and then get loaned out for a 2-3 month span and 'shine' over-seas. Henry is another now. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Ronny took the deal, did the loan thing to Europe of Brazil, and then extended his stay....ala Becks pre WC2010 (didn't work out well for his achilles ofcourse).

For the $$$$ and the timing, this could happen.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, Brazil's not 'about to' host a WC. It's 2.5 years from now, at which time he'll be 34. If he were being completely rational about the thing, he can't have thought his odds were that great to begin with.

9. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Donovan to Everton maybe?

12. ripsaa

ripsaa New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Neither the DP rules would just be changed

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Traffic has been paying the majority of Ronaldinho's salary, and Flamengo will now have to find ways to come up with the nearly $700,000 that the player reportedly receives."

Ronaldinho only makes 700K? Good gracious!

14. juberish

juberish New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA's got all their DP slots full, but NY could use another..

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Are you sure thats all he makes?

http://www.therichest.org/celebnetworth/tag/ronaldinho-salary/

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Forbes list includes endorsements. By that measure, David Beckham made $40 million over the same time period.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah thats how most top players make all their money...

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I had a link to a sory, traffic was paying 35% of his salary. I will see if I can find it.

700K may be the amount Traffic has not paid in the past few months.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Maybe NY or LA will change the DP rule again? ;)

21. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Now that I know Traffic is involved with Ronaldinho's contracts, I completely understand my MLS is very reluctant to go after him hard.

22. saywhat?

saywhat? Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Vancouver/Victoria
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm thinking Donovan will get his much desired transfer to Everton after this season. That will free up a DP spot, give LAG a handy transfer fee/allocation, and open the door for Ronaldinho to come in.

2012 DP's: Becks, Donovan, Keane (Donovan transfers to Everton after season)
    2013 DP's: Becks, Keane, Ronaldinho (Becks retires)
    2014 DP's: Keane, Ronaldinho, new DP comes in

You heard it here first!

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Ronaldinhio even be a free agent this summer?

If not would LA pay the 8 million salary and a transfer fee.

24. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    IMHO he is too expensive for what he is playing right now... but his name still means something.

Anyway, just wanted to post that Flamengo crashed out of Libertadores and with Wagner Love in form I doubt Flamengo has the interest or the means of keeping R10... so if MLS wants a shot at him this is the time

25. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I feel sorry for any team that picks him up, he will be the exact cliche of an aging international star that comes to the league and puts in zero effort. He wouldn't even attend training sessions in his prime at Barcelona because he cared more about drinking beer, you think he'll have the slightest shred of respect for LA's coaching staff???