Ronaldinho Gaucho, part 3 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by AcesHigh, Apr 13, 2012.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He has missed quite a few PKs lately.

2. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

He missed a penalty kick vs england ...remember?

3. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Point taken. But if you guys could hand select anybody to take the deciding penalty in a WC final, who would it be?

For me, Dinho.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

If we are that worried about PK takers, we might as well take Renato Abreu, who has only missed 2 PKs in his career....

5. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm going to predict that Ronaldinho will have a good Club World Cup! A. Minerio will not win it, but they will give Bayern a good game in the final!! Plus he has a score to settle with Pep!!

6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Probably, Kaka or Ronaldinho.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dunga. Or Romário.

The idea of selecting someone for so limtied a role is nonsense and just a product of all of our pre-tournament anxiety and the need to fill the time with something to do.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Don't think he meant all time. If it was all time (recent), Dunga, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Romario.

Today ... I have no clue. Don't think we have anyone who has proved themselves lately. But no Thiago Silva, or Fred ... if you know what I mean ... :sneaky:

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #134 Ombak, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Well I'd take Neymar over Ronaldinho Gaúcho in a heartbeat today. Which makes me think the problem here is people who are comparing potential player to potential player, not current player to current player. If you're going to compare potential though, might as well expand it to make everyone eligibile.

I'm going to be harsh here for a second (not to you celito but to those who always bring back old players).

In the end the problem with these arguments for bringing popular players back is that they're nothing but nostalgia. My solution (and I'm entirely serious about this) is to watch old stuff on youtube when I want to. Seriously. I watch highlights of the Dunga team cause they were amazing. But if all you do is live in the past you won't have a World Cup 2014 title to look back on come 2015 and later...

I want the title, so ******** Ronaldinho. If I want to see him help the seleção I can find a million videos on youtube.

Kaka10725 and celito repped this.
  10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can help you with your search, Ombak. Just search for Seleção games from 2002 and earlier :p Other than that, you'll just have to live with seeing his Barca highlights. :D

I do agree that many people fall in that trap with nostalgia. It just takes one magical play from R10 to remind people of what he used to do on a regular basis and people go nuts thinking THAT R10 has returned. Not to mention, he's a player that has already received countless opportunities to show something on the Seleção and has come up short on every single one. I just don't bother anymore debating about it.

11. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No one is even seriously considering him, i'm not seeing the reason for a soapbox here.

12. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    It not only nostalgia; and I hate to say it but it sometimes borderline blindness. Ronaldinho can do no wrong to his loyal fan-base.

13. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am iffy. At first I want him to come, but then I think about it and then realize that we have Neymar now to function as that player. But still I kinda miss him

14. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I understand what Ombak is saying but why are we willing to give Kaka a chance to return to Brazil but we're willing to put Ronaldinho out in the back shed like Ol Yeller when there's only 2 years between them?

15. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I miss him a lot also. For everything R10 has done for our National Team and our country, we must always show the greatest amount of respect to him. When R10 does show signs of his past genius, the saudades just breaks through my heart. But having said that, I think, and Felipao also thinks that R10's days with the Selecao are over. But hey...we still have the World Cup of Clubs!

16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    1) Ronaldinho performance for the NT in the last 5 or 6 years have been disappointing. You can't really say the same for Kaka or even Robinho.

2) Kaka is a far harder worker than Ronaldinho on the pitch. Kaka would be willing to press and track back. You can't really say the same for Ronaldinho.

Ombak and NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  17. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Not just penalty, I think there is a gap in who can score off direct freekicks. Dino and before roberto carlos were great at it. This team has a lot of gaps. No way is that a ask to bring dino back , that dude soes not deserve call back

18. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If we're talking about penalty kicks Robinho has a good pk record as well! !

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Neymar has been great at set pieces direct and indirect. We also have Luiz or Hulk who can hit them from long range.

20. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005
    If someone has to take a decisive penalty in the final I think it should be Oscar.If Hernanes is playing he can also take good penalties.
    But his club form is so poor that he may not even be picked up by Scolari anyways.

21. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's amazing how even today, R10 attracts a million paparazzi, and a million fans.
    In morocco he is mobbed every where he goes.

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Cause he's the man. He's everything Denilson wished he was when his career wasn't so great.

23. the_professor

the_professor New Member

Jan 28, 2013
    WHAT has kaka ever done for the team? nothing zero zip nada.....

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only played 2 WCs injured. The second one specifically doctors told him after wards he risked his career playing the last couple of games. Nothing more.

Love people speaking about things they know nothing about.

25. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The_professor is not a Brazil fan. I don't think he's watch one Brazilian game without Ronaldinho in it. Here are some of his wonderful post just like the gem up there

"you have no idea what are you talking about ronaldinho is the brazilian playmaker at the moment u must have been born yesterday for you to even try to compare ganso to ronaldinho" "a one legged ronaldinho is better than oscar" "Oscar is garbage"

Poster like that don't even deserve a response cause you can't get past their bias.

Ribo_2006 repped this.