Ronaldinho Gaucho News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by PFKing15, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Ronaldinho Gaúcho wins FIFA World Player of the Year

It's a complete shame that Carlos Tevez, never mind not winning it wasn't even....NOMINATED!!!! :confused:

2. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux

It's a joke isn't it...when was the last time a player playing in South America won WPY? Not only must u play in Europe to win u must also play 4 a 'big' club
    :(

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

I believe Ronaldinho has the potential to do for Brazil what Ronaldo did in 2002, what Romario did in 1994, and yes, even what Garrincha did in 1962.

4. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Re: Ronaldinho Gaucho: Underachiever w/ Selecao?

Bumping the thread....we don't have a pure R.Gaucho thread to discuss all his exploits, so maybe a mod should change the title of this one to "Ronaldinho Gaucho - Legend in the Making?!"

His last half of the season has been just breathtaking for Barca. Game after big game of clutch performances, beautifully measured passes, amazing lower body strength, mazy runs, vision, leadership and sublime goals.

Yesterday's game against Valencia showcased his game deciding prowess. In 5 minutes, and two plays, he helped decide the game and demoralize his opponents.

Think about the goals against Milan, Chelsea, Valencia...the assists through, around, and over defences....the free kicks...all while being the most marked man on the Barca squad.

He's thinking plays quicker than anyone, and in a manner unlike anyone else, in world football today (IMO). Dare we say it -- the man appears to be on his way to legendary status.

Hopefully this will translate w/ Selecao in Germany.

(If he could only get rid of the jerri-curl :)).

5. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)

EL ARTE DE RONALDINHO

http://www.as.com/articulo.html?xref=20050509dasdaiftb_5&anchor=dasftb&type=Tes&d_date=20050509

The last paragraph has this to say:

Demasiado pronto esta temporada se divulgó la especie de que Ronaldinho no era el del año pasado. Era una tribulación. Alguien quería atribuirle el éxito a espaldas que no fueran la suya. Ronaldinho ha cumplido con una fe que no tiene parangón hoy en el fútbol que vemos. Le ha dado cohesión a lo intangible, pues el alma del Barça ha residido en su propio ánimo, y cuando él no ha estado para animar a los suyos, éstos han tenido que encomendarse al azar. El partido de ayer fue su penúltima oración en un año en el que casi todas la plegarias le tuvieron como protagonista.

Would agree.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

He is simply a genius. He is one of those players that makes everything look easy.

I think in 2002 he already played fenomenal. He put Ronaldo in front of the goal many times including in the final. If he had scored on those chances he would have gotten more recognition. Granted more attention was being paid to Rivaldo and Ronaldinho was flying under the radar.

7. Camisa5

Camisa5 New Member

Mar 28, 2004

No, he can do much more. So, yes, an underachiever.

8. ronaldoD08

ronaldoD08 New Member

Jan 11, 2005

I don't think you have seen the WC final so I can understand your misinformation...

9. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre

Ronaldinho has done great for the Selecao. Underachiever is NONSENSE talk.

First at Barcelona he is there all year long, plays 70+ matches, and with the selecao he gets what 5 or 6 matches a year? What counts is the results. He is WORLD CUP CHAMP and was an important player in it! He was surrounded by stars and still shined himself.

This thread should be dumped for stupidity in concept.

10. Camisa5

Camisa5 New Member

Mar 28, 2004

Rubbish. He needs to give more to the yellow.

11. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)

A strident post, but misses the mark IMO.

No one has said that he "sucks" or doesn't contribute to the Selecao. The thought at thread inception was to investigate potential reasons why the dominating performances we are treated to almost weekly at Barca don't manifest themselves at Selecao level. This has been pondered by many a football expert (including Tostao, Trajano, Nogueira), and thus is not born of my "stupidity" alone.

Anyhow, as the person who came up with the thread idea, I've gone on record already as in favor of renaming the thread "Ronaldinho Gaucho - Legend in the Making?!" -- with general discussion around this genius' development as a player...and where the Selecao performances become a subset of the whole.

12. Camisa5

Camisa5 New Member

Mar 28, 2004

Legend? Not yet. I love the way the gut plays the game but the odd lookaway pass does not make him a legend and should not guarantee him a spot in the team.

13. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)

"Legend in the Making ?!" -- the question mark and exclamation mark would suggest that its not a fait accompli, but rather a path on which he may be travelling.

His game is much more than lookaway passes. His play for Barca over the past two years, particularly all of calendar year 2005, has been on a level not seen in quite awhile. Quickness, power, speed, vision, strength, improvisation, accuracy and leadership all rolled into one. IMO his current club game is at a legendary level -- even if he does not improve or add a single element to it [his game] going forward.

Please read my arguement carefully. I'm not suggesting that he could not improve aspects of his game, but that such improvement is not necessary for him to become a legend. He needs to play at this current level consistently over time, on all fronts, and collect more silverware.

I say without reservation that IF Gaucho plays close to this level for another 6-8 years; provides a WC performance to match (not necessarily another WC win, though it would be nice); wins a CL trophy; and contributes to one or two more league titles he will definitely be considered a legend at the end of his playing days.

Of this I am certain.

14. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil

Fully agree, except for this: provides a WC performance to match (not necessarily another WC win, though it would be nice). He must win another World Cup. ;)

15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

So you're saying he wasn't very good in the final? Or that he stood out more than Ronaldo and Rivaldo???

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Still upset about him supposedly not participating in the Confed Cup?

17. Camisa5

Camisa5 New Member

Mar 28, 2004

Watch out, someone will cloe us down again! No, not at all, he has actually confirme he wants to play (as he should - AS THEY ALL SHOULD)

YOU CAN'T PICK AND CHOOSE YOUR TOURNAMENTS

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Of course he wants to play. Why did you even question that?

I agree he hasn't played as well for Brazil in the qualifiers as he has played for his club during this time, that much is obvious. But I trust he'll find his stride with the national team once the time comes when they are all together for the World Cup.

I also think he already had a fantastic tournament in 2002.

19. Camisa5

Camisa5 New Member

Mar 28, 2004

Look. Let me make it clear (hopefully without typos this time). The boy is an absolute delight both in talent and with his 'ambience' when playing. He - and everyone else - should play in this tournament or be told to f?ck off and do not expect an invite next year. Underachiever? Yes, for me because his talent merits being judged at a high level. He has not done enough to make me happy. If he has a bad 12 months and it outstanding come June 2006, I will be one happy Ingles hombre!!

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

It's really difficult to understand the nonsense that is this angry opinion of yours, but I don't want to hijack this thread and MIG closed the other one.

The rest, I agree with. I wish he played better for the sele'c~ao in the qualifiers. No need to reiterate that, most here have agreed with that.

21. Camisa5

Camisa5 New Member

Mar 28, 2004

.......probably matchs my mood at the moment! I am afraid I get passionate about this sort of thing.

Re Ron Gaucho, I am glad WE have him and if I criticise it is because I think he can do more...but what do I know. I am just a fan.

22. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA

Will it be a big chance to shine for him this summer?

23. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)

I came accross this piece from Tostao dated 5/11/05. http://jbonline.terra.com.br/

As fases dos craques
    Phases of the craques [greats]

Tostao makes the case that craques go through 3 phases in their career:

Phase I: a phase in which they try and show all they know.

Phase II: they become the target of greater marking, greater hype, become more tired and selective. They begin to live spectacular moments as well as more challenging moments, and must respond to [greater] criticism. They then pick the right moments to shine. He sees Ronaldo [Madrid] as being here.

Phase III: the administration of success; when the craques become known for producing a sensational play from time to time. He sees Romario of the last several years.

Now for the R.Gaucho portion:

"Já Ronaldinho Gaúcho está ainda na primeira fase, a de brilhar em quase todas as partidas. Ele está reinventando o futebol. Escrevi isso no dia 7 de novembro de 2004. Portanto, não copiei essa frase do comercial sobre o jogador que está na televisão. Ninguém copiou ninguém.

Ronaldinho Gaucho is in the first phase, shining in almost every game. He's reinventing football. I wrote as much on November 7, 2004. Thus, I'm not copying the phrase from the current TV commercial featuring the player.

Ronaldinho Gaúcho é a síntese dos grandes craques. Ele tem muito da habilidade e fantasia do Maradona, dos dribles e finalizações do Rivellino, da visão de jogo e dos passes do Gerson, da técnica do Zico e do Platini e do senso coletivo e da criatividade do Cruyff.

Ronaldinho Gaucho is a synopsis of the greats. Much of the ability and fantasy of Maradona, the dribbles and conclusions [to goal] of Rivellino, the game vision and passes of Gerson, the technique of Zico and Platini, and the collective sense and creativity of Cryuff.

Se continuar assim e for o grande destaque do Mundial de 2006, Ronaldinho Gaúcho, que já é um dos grandes da história, poderá se tornar um dos três maiores do mundo de todos os tempos, só abaixo do Pelé e Maradona.

If he continues this way and is the main protagonist of WC 2006, Ronaldinho Gaucho, already a historical great, could turn himself into one of the three best of all time, only below Pele and Maradona."

High praise.

24. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

This is a great piece. The last part, the Pele/Maradona bit takes it too far however. Apart from that, Tostao as ever, is brilliant.

25. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)

I think you'd agree that his absolute ranking in the end is not material (and can only be assessed after his playing days are over); however, suffice to say that the level of play being displayed by the young man - if sustained for a bit and expanded to another WC and accompanied by more team silverware - will guarantee a hallowed spot somewhere along with the very best (including the Platinis, Eusebios, etc).

"If" is a small word that carries a lot of weight.....