Ron Vlaar - fee agreed

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by sendorange, Dec 21, 2005.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    AZ official website reporting that a fee has been agreed and Vlaar is talking to us. They say other clubs are interested but they only have an agreement with us and Ajax are officially no longer trying to sign him.

http://www.az.nl/index.php?module=news&articleID=18338

Dutch media saying that he has 3 days to agree a transfer / pass medical and the fee is 3.5 million euros.

2. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Is Mounir part of the deal, or no?

3. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    He'd be a great pickup for you guys, if it's true.

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just a fee from the reports so far, no mention of any exchange.

Ham Sandwich has a long term injury, so nothing should happen to him on the transfer front until the summer.

5. E. & P.

E. & P. New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Anyone know anything about him? Is he another young central back? Can he play wide? We're rather stacked at centre-half right now, with neither Davenport nor Huddlestone having gotten a match yet this season, and both Dawson and King still quite young. But fullback looks much more wide open.

6. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    ******** this, I want to see Davenport.

7. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Great, the Dutch Gary Doherty. I'm thrilled.

8. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Ron who?!

I don't like signing unknown players. There's no guarantee they'd be successful.

At least a "known" player would have some reputation and you'd know what he's capable of.

9. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    i know he's started some games for Holland in WCQ

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Every player starts out as an un-know.

11. JinJin

JinJin Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vlaar is known well in Holland, Marco Van Basten has already called him up to the NT, what you have is another young promising centre-half who could be the future for the Dutch National side along with Johnny Heitinga of Ajax. However you guys still have Huddlestone and Dawson, so yeh there could be some problems, and Vlaar could probably play fullback but he won't be anything close to a wingback as he lacks some pace.

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Vlaar will be 3rd choice centre back, competing with Dawson and coming into the team when Dawson or King are suspended/injured/tired. He'll get games I'm sure.

Davenport will be sold off to a championship side when he impresses enough for someone to bid close to 1 million or so.

Gardner is mentally not up to it, and would have been sold to Charlton if not for a failed medical. He's back to fitness so I suspect he may be gone in January.

Naybet is too old and has barely featured this season.

Huddlestone is playing as a midfielder and improving very nicely at Wolves, he will stay there for the rest of the season.

13. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Not bad, i have only seen him once though in a friendly against Italy & he scored a great goal (shame it was a own goal).

As Sendo says he is going to be competing with Dawson, i really like Dawson and i think Vlaar is going to have a good battle with him and a difficult one.

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good potential. Good player. Not ready to start. Won't start anyway.

15. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    This will probably add fuel to the rumours about Ledley King leaving :rolleyes:

16. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Known to whom? you or the manager of our team?

Vlaar has 2 Dutch caps (sorry, giggling at that) after only 11 AZ games. So his rise has been rapid. Marco van Basten saw something in him after just a few games, so perhaps he is decent.

Described as the 'next Jaap Stam' is something good, and as Davenport is off and Naybet retiring then this guy seems fine.

The choice is often this: Buy promising players for cheap and develop them, or let someone else do that and buy them for lots.

I know what i'd rather..

17. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Have you considered checking his age? He's too young to be a NT regular, it's impressive that he made it already. Anyways, Don't know if it's a good move for him. I mean, he's been fighting with his club management for about a month now to let him move to Ajax because he wasn't getting enough first team action. Now if he completes this move to Spurs he'll remain at exactly where he was; the bench. Doesn't make sense to me, he'll be a good addition to your youth though.

18. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed, this is why i don't like this deal, does this mean we're getting rid of Ledley? we fvcking better not

19. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    ok.. now we have a surplus of central defenders in addition to the central midfielders...

what happened to davenport and huddlestone? are they still injured???

and how about defendi??? is he a center defender also???

20. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Jesus. Why am I listening to people whine about this? Firstly, it might not actually happen. Secondly - is getting another promising young player (if it does go through) a bad thing all of a sudden? Thinking about it, you moaners are right. I miss the good old days when we had a dearth of any decent players. Hell, I'm getting a warm feeling in my heart when the only central fvcking defender we could attract was Ramon Vega.

You people don't know when you have it made. Honestly. Davenport is as good as gone, accept it and move on. Gardner is shite, a two month spell this season aside and I wish him all the best but will help him pack his bags. If this Vlaar character is better than those two players, then get him and ship out the others. Unless of course, progression is a bad thing. Kinell! Maybe some of us have been exposed to woeful underachievement for so long, that the glimmer of mild success makes us brick it.

Class dismissed.

21. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Aye great to see we are getting a another young player, Holland seems to produce a lot of good ones.

22. Mort09

Mort09 New Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Completely agree with Lillywhite.

Davenport is leaving if we can get money for him, he was a Santini signing anyway. Naybet is retiring. Gardner is not good enough. That leaves us with King, Dawson, Vlaar and Huddlestone who's out on loan. I think it's much better to have a compact squas of top talent than a bloated squad half-full of average playing ability.

£2-3m for 20-year old Dutch international is a bargain. Don't forget Jol knows the Dutch market very well and knows talent when he sees it. Can't wait to see the fella in action.

Now for the clearout

23. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Huddlestone is at Wolves where he is played in midfield. It would be criminal to waste his passing ability in defence after all.

Davenport is plodding along with Norwich I believe. Haven't heard anything breathtaking about his time there.

Last I heard about the aptly named Brazilian, he was back in Brazil. Don't know if this is still true or if he's came back again and is in the reserves.

24. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Indeed. Let's hope we get a couple because of BMJ!

Absolutely. Key thing is getting the quality in first and then getting rid of the dead wood.

If he doesn't turn out to be an exact copy of Stam but only half as good, well not bad cover at least. If not then he happily go the way of davenport et al. Who knows, he could be as good as Stam - result.

Of course, this isn't over yet and whatever Ajax has been saying, they might still come in with an improved offer for him.

25. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    I've never seen the kid play so I can't comment.

Some sources are saying he's the next Stam, while others are labeling him as a waste of money.

So which is it? Has anyone on here seen the kid play more than 3 times for AZ?