Ron Kittle Wouldn't Piss On Barry Bonds if Bonds Was On Fire

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by BlueMeanie, Jun 2, 2005.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Un. ********ing. Believable.

Some of you probably heard this on Jim Rome this morning.

For those of you who don't know who Ron Kittle is, he was a good DH/1B on the White Sox in the 80s.

I have no reason to believe Kittle's lying in this excerpt from his book:

Kittle Book -- Charity Case? Barry, Barry Disappointing

To summarize: White folks are fine with Barry if they can provide pvssy, steroids or multi-million dollar contracts. White folks collecting charity items to auction for kids with cancer, not so lucky.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Would he even sell a single book if that excerpt wasn't in there.

Gimmee a break.

3. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I agree that it's interesting this is an issue now. Some people will criticize Kittle for not making a big deal about it in '93, others will say he correctly took the high road at that point.

Did anyone hear about this around the time it happened?

Kittle's book should be interesting regardless. The White Sox in that "Winning Ugly" mid-80s era had a ton of characters on their team -- Ozzie Guillen, Steve Lyons, Carlton Fisk, Tom Seaver, Lamarr Hoyt, Harold Baines, and Tony LaRussa as manager.

4. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Yeah.... he probably would.

Also, Barry Bonds can fvck off.

5. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to fans of Indy baseball, too.

I know he got burned by the Mid-America league I believe in the mid 90's, and then he managed the Schaumburg Flyers in the Northern League for their first few years.

I've met him a couple of times at Flyers games. He used to hold court on the concourse during rain delays. I also remember one time he sent a guy home, and the player was gunned at the plate. A fan got on him for it, and he calmly explained his thinking for sending the runner.

I'll probably pick up a copy.

6. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    I'm the last one to stick up for Bonds, but who's to say it wasn't some sort of (albeit in very poor taste) joke?
    All we're doing is reading words on a page and there is a very large lack of description about how Bonds said it. Or even how Matt Williams said what he said?
    Dusty Baker didn't seem all that upset about it?
    Ron fvcking Kittle is writing a book.
    I can't wait to pick up Jeff Treadway's autobio next month.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my god, a white guy was a victim of racism. Burn Bonds at the stake! :rolleyes:

Who knows what really happened, but I think we can all agree that Bonds was in the wrong by denying a stupid signature to help cancer ridden kids. However, we don't know if he was lashing out after being "wronged" himself, or are we supposed to think that racism is completely gone, or even that it was as far back as 1993?

That being said, I don't really care about Barry Bonds anyways.

8. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    No... I think the problem is that this guy grew up richer than 99% of BS posters and he plays a silly game for a living and he can't even take 2 seconds to write his name for a good cause? What a piece of shyt.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we supposed to base the worth of somebody's whole existence on earth based on 1 bad decision?

No.

Granted there are plenty of other crappy things that Bonds has done to make me think he's a pitiful human being... but something like this, you'd have to think that there's some reason he refused to sign that day. Otherwise, that's just evil, and I'd have to see more evidence than this to believe that about Bonds.

Who knows? He grew up in baseball clubhouses and you've got to think he witnessed white players refuse to sign autographs for black kids.... I'm really not trying to make excuses for this, it's indefensible. I'm just throwing out that there may be reasons he reacted the way he did that day, we don't know.

10. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    One bad decision? He has a track record of making many bad decisions every day.

Back to your original point though. I don't care that he hurt Ron Kittle's feelings and I don't care that he told that to Ron Kittle, a white guy. What I care about is that this piece of shyt was approached to take one second of his time to help out a lot of people and he acted as if he had it so tough in his life and that white's were to blame.

He didn't have it tough. He grew up rich. He had access to possibilities and things that you (probably, I don't know you) and I could only dream of. Bottom line, he should know better...... (if this story is true, of course......)

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    -- Barry Bonds blasted former White Sox slugger Ron Kittle, whose recently released book quotes the San Francisco Giants star as saying "I don't sign for white people" before a game at Wrigley Field 12 years ago.

"Who is Kittle? How long did he play? He played in our league?" Bonds said, lying on a clubhouse couch before Thursday's game against the Royals. "Ha! Do you guys believe that? ... Do you guys know my life history a little bit? ... One, you insult my children, who are half-white.

"I was married to a woman who was white, so let's get real. I don't even know the guy. Tell him he's an ... idiot. Somebody said he wanted a piece of me. Tell him I'm at 24 Willie Mays Plaza and he can come get me anytime he wants to -- with pleasure. Don't insult my family."

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF

And with that...I gain a little bit more of the respect for Bonds that I've lost in the last month or two.

13. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    And for a long time, he had a white mistress, too. Her name's Kimberly Bell, and she's been part of the ongoing tax investigation of Bonds.

I agree that it's cool of Bonds to fire back at Kittle, especially if the incident never happened or was a misunderstanding. But it was childish to drop that "Who is Kittle? How long did he play? He played in our league?" bomb. Kittle's career was longer than average, and AL fans knew him as a better-than-average player and power threat. It's not like somebody who was only in the bigs for a cup of coffee was taking whacks at Barry.

Guess we need to wait for alleged witness Matt Williams to chime in. Or just let it die.

14. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams has too much class to get involved in something as petty as this.

I didn't really care for Bonds' comments either. You might as well tack on "So, I said it, so what?" :rolleyes:

15. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I have no reason to believe Kittle is not lying.

16. reasoner

reasoner BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Whoever this Williams might, he couldn't be petty like you no matter :rolleyes: I'd say "so what" too. :p

17. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    I'll give you one reason:

Nobody outside of Papa or Mama Kittle would have any interest in reading this book had he not included the Bonds anecdote.