Romania v USA in May?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Liviu, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    A friend told me he saw Piturca - the coach of Romania, on Romanian TV today stating that the Romanian national team will be in the U.S in May.

Hopefully the same Romanian team that beat the Czechs 2:0 in the WCQs comes.

2. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    So if it's true. I guess we will get confirmation at US Soccer in about 3 weeks...:D

3. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been rumored for the past month or so. Possibly in Cleveland.

4. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    Since many European leagues are finished by then due to it being a WC year we should be able to have our Euro guys around, giving the Euro and MLS players a good chance to blend before the WC.

Apparently Cleveland is close to landing a MLS team so it makes sense they would get the match. See Salt Lake getting a WCQ.

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would definitely be a good match if they brought a strong squad , and could help us a lot before leaving for Germany . They are a physically strong European team , that have a lot of talent and speed . Similar to the Czechs in a way. I'd love to see Gooch marking Mutu , hes a great forward , and will be a real test for The Beast .

6. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Could also be a "market test" for Cleveland...;)

7. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's supposed to be one of the three friendlies lined up in late May for the whole squad. Everyone that will be in Germany will be at this game

8. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    i'd love to see Philly get that game...narrow field but it'll offer exposure to a market that always gets overlooked for soccer. The US should play as many friendlies in different venues as they can..this way the whole country can develop a relationship with the team.

Romania should bring a strong squad over since they'll be getting ready for the Euro cup qualifiers

9. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope Philly gets one. There's three games and I'd imagine they'd be as close to the east coast as possible. I'd think Cleveland, Foxboro, and either Giants Stadium or Philly.

10. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    I saw this somewhere but i thought there would be 4 team round robin to simulate the first round of the WC. The other two teams were Turkey and Ireland. someone help me out here. i thought it was a Turkish paper who reported that rumor.

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the rumors are that we will play three friendlies on or near the east coast from 5/20-5/30. Just like in 2002.

12. jankballs

jankballs New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    Seattle
    Interesting stuff. I certaintly hope we do play Romania. Really like the round robin idea too.

As far as next city to get MLS team. Man it better be Seattle!!! USA needs to play in the NW again too!!! :D

13. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Odd the other three teams would be interested in a WC like "tournament". Preparation for Euro qualifying I guess. I wouldn't mind seeing US-Ireland in Cleveland though.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

or not.

so what if this game draws well? 38,000 came to see the game in SF and look what happened to the bay area's team. :(

it's like the people saying since mexican matches draw well in houston, MLS will do well there. one doesn't necessarily having something to do with the other.
    unless, of course, the match in cleveland completely bombs. that could be telling, I guess. :)